• [PE4BAS] New antenna project & visiting radio rally

From PE4BAS via rec.radio.amateur.modera@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 28 19:36:36 2022
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

PE4BAS Amateur Radio Weblog

///////////////////////////////////////////
    New antenna project & visiting radio rally

Posted: 28 May 2022 02:37 PM PDT https://pe4bas.blogspot.com/2022/05/new-antenna-project-visiting-radio-rally.html

Had some days off the job. Finally started the new antenna project. Have written about that before. It is a square halo design which I saw on the
    PA9X site at first. I will first try with a 20m halo only, Just to see if
    it meets my expectations. More pictures will follow when progress is made.
    If all goes well I will try to make it a multiband halo. The difference
    with the antenna PA9X made is that I use a fiberglass "boom" to hold the
    balun box.
    It has been a while ago. The covid-19 pandemic....well all is slowly
    returning to normal. There finally was a radio rally I like to go to. I
    went to Beetsterzwaag village together with a new colleague which also is a newly licensed ham PD8HW. It's fun to have another radio hobbyist at the
    job. I have to say it was fun. We met a lot of people and of course we
    bought some (old) equipment.

Some fun things we saw...
    I had to look for a variable coil of some sort just because of the value in money. Not that I found it. But I found some variable coils and this one
    looks like it is completely home made. The value was 15 euro (about 16 USD) which is cheap I think. Imagine the effort someone made to fabricate this.
    I did not buy it. I bought a large variable capacitor to use at some future antenna project. I might buy a nice variable coil someday.

Some capacitors I saw when wandering around. Better be careful with charged ones. 18000uF is quite a large capacity.

This is an item I have question about. Anyone that can tell me how this
    works? At first I though it would receive beacon signals and display it
    with LEDs blinking. But there is no receiver or receiver connection. Only a power supply input. I think it is a clock of something showing when a particular beacon is on air? And how is the time sync working? It might not
    be so difficult of course...
    It is probabely pre-computer. There are far more sophisticated systems
    these days...however it is intriguing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)