• [MW1CFN] Station grounding.

From MW1CFN via rec.radio.amateur.modera@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 20 13:50:02 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated, uk.radio.amateur, free.uk.amateur-radio

Real-World Amateur Radio

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Station grounding.

Posted: 20 Dec 2021 10:24 AM PST https://mw1cfnradio.blogspot.com/2021/12/station-grounding.html

There's an interesting piece, partly about station earthing, over on
    PE4BAS' blog at the moment.
    Whilst I commented on the dangers of misunderstanding earthing, which is widespread, it doesn't seem to have appeared. Judging by the comment left later on, perhaps my input wasn't welcome. Which is a bit strange.

Well, these things happen. Given Bas' response, I think it's important
    to underscore the dangers even more than I had already, so I've updated
    this blog a little as a result.

What I will place here is a clear warning to anyone who is thinking of attaching (or already has) wires to the earth system of a house.
    Firstly, there are laws about modifying the electrical supply systems, including the earth, in most countries. These can carry criminal
    punishments if you don't adhere to them. Having a radio licence does not
    make you qualified, nor does it give you consent to start fiddling with
    the electrical supply, even in your own house. You may resent being told that, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Secondly, an RF earth is not the same thing as an electrical safety earth
    - although under certain fail conditions, they can become the same thing -
    and run the very real risk of starting a fire.
    In PME systems, for example, the earth is connected at the input to your
    house at the neutral; one wire serves two functions. If the neutral
    breaks, say, in a storm, then you could find your entire neighbourhood's circuit trying to complete to earth via your radio equipment. It won't
    take it, by a very long margin, and will catch fire. Neutral breaks are
    not exactly rare, either.
    A PME system, as widely found in the UK. If you install RF earths, it is a legal requirement - and, strictly, requires a qualified installer - to
    connect every one with its own 10sq mm minimum cable back to the 'incoming' earth (which would be at the chocolate block connector in practical terms here). No advice is given - seek a qualified installer and talk to your network. A point of weakness may remain, even then, because the earth cable that runs from the input fuse to the distribution box is often not of a
    high enough cross-sectional area. You can't change this wire (at least,
    not legally), and so a network engineer will need to do it.

Your electrical supply may be very different in nature, especially in
    relation to the earthing system, to the person writing about what they've
    done in the shack. It's as well to remember this. This is a
    typical 'recommended' earthing system for radio shacks you can find online, often originating in the USA. In a large part of the UK, this WOULD NOT conform to regulations, and represents a SERIOUS FIRE RISK - which includes burning your house down. A heavy-duty earth cable from the rod, directly
    back to the supply input earth/neutral is required in common PME systems.

Just remember that your house may well burn down if you connect things up wrongly and contrary to electrical rules. If that happens, an insurance company is almost certain to refuse - quite rightly - to pay out. That is
    a very serious and ruinous outcome. If Bas, or anyone else, is qualified
    to do such work, then all well and good; my post wasn't aimed at such
    people, rather obviously, and they shouldn't be offended. But others
    should be very careful indeed.
    I urge anyone who is thinking about station grounding to consult their
    network supplier, and seek such information and consent as may be
    required. Connecting wires up to copper rods is easy. Recovering from an uninsured, burned-down house is not.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)