• [EA4EOZ] About the HP E3611A Power Supply

From EA4EOZ via rec.radio.amateur.modera@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 5 19:50:19 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

EA4EOZ, an amateur radio electronic enthusiast

///////////////////////////////////////////
    About the HP E3611A Power Supply

Posted: 05 Jul 2021 03:57 PM PDT https://ea4eoz.blogspot.com/2021/07/about-hp-e3611a-power-supply.html

After messing around some time with homemade power supplies and some of
    them in kit form I decided to bite the bullet and acquire a "real" lab
    power supply: the HP E3611A.
    This power supply works like a charm. It is precise, robust, excellent stability... a real pleasure to work with. But as soon as I started to use
    it I noticed a small annoyance. Some times at power on, and almost all
    times at power off it produced a big "plop" in any speaker I had in the
    room. The "plop" was also heard in RF with a receiver. It was only an small annoyance so I didn't pay too much attention to the "plop".
    But recently I found a fluorescent based spotlight and I tried to test the fluorescent's filaments using the power supply. I set the power supply to 0 volts, connected the filament, and slowly I increased the voltage until the point the filament was clearly visible. It worked fine. The filament lit up with about 10-11 volts. Nice. Then I switched off the power supply, I heard
    the "plop" in the computer speakers and the entire fluorescent tube light
    up in white for a brief moment.

I was thrilled. I repeated the operation several times and the fluorescent
    tube tuned on many many times and that was not good. You need a voltage of
    some tens (hundreds?) of volts to ignite a fluorescent tube and I was using that power supply for some sensitive devices like microcontrollers. I had
    do something.Looking for the problem
    The first thing I did was to check the earth connection. The power supply
    uses the earth line from mains, but it is connected only to the mains transformer's core, the front earth connection and the shield placed over
    the multi-turn potentiometers and the voltmeter. There was no capacitors or other components connected between the power supply circuits and earth so I decided the earth connection was not the problem
    Then I realized the "plop" was caused by the discharge of the transformer's primary winding (a coil) when the mains voltage was removed. How this
    voltage spike was present at the power supply output was a mystery for me
    but I suspected it was through parasitic capacitance in the mains
    transformer itself.
    After some search in books and Google I found a cure can be placing a
    capacitor in parallel with the primary winding, the one connected to mains. Typical values were around 100-330 nF. I had such capacitors, but none of
    them was rated X1 or X2, a must for a capacitor connected directly to the mains, so another article caught my attention: the use of MOV devices for
    the very same purpose. Fortunately I had a ton of MOVs so it was quick to
    find one suitable to use with the 240 volts AC mains we have here.
    The MOV I selected was a SR511K14DS, and after I connected it in parallel
    with the primary winding I immediately noticed a great reduction of
    the "plop" but the fluorescent tube still turned on, but fortunately very
    very dim. This confirmed the problem was the transformer's inductance
    discharge when the mains was switched off, so I ordered some 100 nF X2
    rated capacitors.
    As an interesting note: The transformer used in the E3611A does not have terminals for the mains connections. It has wires coming out the
    transformer and connected directly to the mains switch, so if you want to
    do this modification, you need to solder your MOV and / or capacitor just
    at these wires soldering points.
    After a few days I received the capacitors and installed one, in parallel
    with the MOV, and do you guess it? The "plop" was completely removed and
    the fluorescent tube test did not turned it on at all. Mission accomplished!Conclusion
    It was an interesting case. I don't know how a manufacturer like HP did not take attention to this problems but I must admit I have many devices in my
    home with transformers connected to the mains without capacitors and they
    do not produce any EMI disturbance when switched off.
    Why the transformer used in the E3611A produces this large voltage spike? I don't know, but a simple 100nF 275V X1 or X2 rated capacitor was enough to solve this problem completely.Miguel A. Vallejo, EA4EOZ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)