• [KB6NU] Lets expand our concept of public service

From KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderat@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 8 16:54:44 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Lets expand our concept of public service

Posted: 08 Jun 2021 08:41 AM PDT http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/kb6nu/tVpu/~3/ReHR8b8n9rw/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

I try and keep up with the news about amateur radio, and to that end, I subscribe to the Southgate ARC news feed and get an amateur radio Google
    Alert.
    The Hudson River Radio Relay is holding a series of special event stations
    to raise funds for the preservation of the Bannerman Castle on an island in
    the Hudson River.

Every now and then, theres a news story that catches my eye about a club providing some kind of public service outside the normal channels. In this instance, its a special event sponsored by the Hudson River Radio Relay to raise funds for the preservation of the historic Bannerman Castle, which
    sits on an island in the Hudson River. Hams who contact the clubs special
    event stations will be sent a certificate along with information on how to contribute to the fundraiser.

Here in Ann Arbor, Im trying to raise funds for a permanently-endowed scholarship for a student attending Washtenaw Community College. My goal is
    to raise $10,000 that the community colleges foundation will then use to
    award a $500 scholarship every year to a student who either holds an
    amateur radio license or is pursuing a career in a technical field. Unfortunately, Im a better amateur radio operator than I am a fundraiser,
    so its going slowly. I do intend to see this through, though.

Another opportunity that some might be interested in is volunteering with TryEngineering.org. This is an IEEE program, which encourages young people
    to try engineering and pursue a technical career. According to the website, there are opportunities for volunteers, and there might be some way that
    your club could contribute.

One possibility that intrigued me is the Parents Program, but when I
    clicked on the link, I got the following:

Parents play a large part in furthering their children’s STEM interests. These activities are designed specifically for parents to introduce them to STEM fields and to share resources to aid parents in guiding their
    children. The workshops can feature presentations from STEM professionals, hands-on activities or informal discussions. We currently have no programs
    in this category. If you have a program, that targets parents, we would
    like to include it in the library.

Now, that sounds like something I could do. Im much better working with
    adults than I am working with kids. I plan to contact our local STEAM
    school and see if they already have some kind of parents program, and if
    not, think about what I might be able to do to start one.

I think that you get the picture here. Its all about using our knowledge
    and skills in new ways to better serve our community. Providing emergency communications is all well and good, but theres no reason that we cant do
    more. Thinking outside the box of traditional amateur radio activities will enable us to help more people and is great PR for ham radio.

Let me know if your club is already doing something like this, or if you
    have other ideas for out of the box public service.

The post Lets expand our concept of public service appeared first on KB6NUs
    Ham Radio Blog.

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Amateur radio videos: How to get free parts, The Secret Life of the Radio

Posted: 07 Jun 2021 01:33 PM PDT http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/kb6nu/tVpu/~3/8es7YForXKI/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

How to get almost any part for free or cheap

Jeremy Fielding is an amazing maker who has made all kinds of things from scavenged parts. In this video, he gives you eight tips on how to find free parts from non-working appliances, defunct exercise equipment, and non-functioning electronics equipment.

The secret life of the radio

Tim Hunkin has a great talent for explaining technology. Here, is his
    classic video on the history and basics of radio.

Amateur radio operators are still in high demand

This is a TV news report on amateur radio in the Wabash Valley of Illinois
    and Indiana.

The post Amateur radio videos: How to get free parts, The Secret Life of
    the Radio appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)