• [WB4SON] Trouble Setting up RMS Express with CF-31 Toughbook

From WB4SON via rec.radio.amateur.modera@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 1 11:07:52 2021
    XPost: rec.radio.amateur.moderated

WB4SON

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Trouble Setting up RMS Express with CF-31 Toughbook

Posted: 31 May 2021 09:52 AM PDT
    https://wb4son.com/wpblog/?p=4412

After having a gloriously easy time setting up my Kenwood TM-D710G and
    DRA-50 the other day with both the RMS Express Client, and eventually the
    RMS Packet software to get my VARA FM gateway up and running, I ran into a puzzling snag trying to get my IC-9700 working with RMS Express + VARA FM
    on my CF-31 Toughbook.

Normally my IC-9700 and Toughbook are dedicated to satellite radio, but I really wanted an alternative radio setup for VARA FM that I could use to
    check my RMS Packet gateway was functional.  I figured it would be a no brainer install VARA FM/RMS Express and use that setup.

Unfortunately, I ran into two problems.  The first was very minor VARA FM only supports baud rates up to 19K.  The IC-9700 was set to 112K (Satellite guys like a higher baud rate because of Doppler corrections).  That was an easy change to drop the IC-9700 baud rate down to 19K.  As soon as that happened, I had PTT access.

The next problem was not as intuitive.  While the rig PTT was working, no modulation was produced, despite being in FM D digital mode and having the
    DATA MOD set to USB.  I could tell VARA FM was producing the sound output, because I could swap the output to the Toughbook speakers and hear the modulation.

I ultimately fixed the issue by opening up Windows Sound Mixer and
    discovering that the internal IC-9700 sound device USB Audio CODEC was
    MUTED.  Why, I dont know, thats not something I would have done.  But I had never used the sound interface in the IC-9700 before, and apparently when Windows recognized that device, it muted it.

Nothing was wrong with VARA-FM or RMS Express at all.  It was entirely an issue between Windows 10 and the CF-31 Toughbook.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)