• Re: Mckay Mymek DA100D ?

From Wd Fusroy@21:1/5 to Wd Fusroy on Wed Sep 22 11:02:56 2021
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 2:01:01 PM UTC-4, Wd Fusroy wrote:

I am in the same boat as many others here. Because I had one of these antennas, circa 1980, and liked it very much, especially on MW, I picked up the indoor component of the Stoner McKay Dymek DA100 on ebay for $30. But I couldn't find the matching
    outdoor component anywhere. I do however have some good 1.5 meter outdoor whips. I would imagine that the little box under the original whip antenna on the commercial unit was a simple preamplifier designed primarily to make sure that the incoming signal
    had enough oomph to make it through the 50' of coax and into the indoor unit, where it could then be attenuated. So now I'm wondering, if I keep the line in fairly short, could I just use one of my whip antennas "naked" and bring its signal straight in
    to the indoor unit, or would I need to place some kind of signal booster/preamp outside with the antenna? Any ideas? I'm not competent enough to recreate the original outdoor box even if I had the schematic for it, so I'm hoping to find some kind of
    simple solution. Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Wd Fusroy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 22 11:00:59 2021
    On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 6:25:11 PM UTC-5, ka6uup wrote:
    Jordan Dobrikin wrote:
    Hi

Is a copy of the Mckay Dymek C still available
    Jordan J Dobriken
    809-1850 Rosser Ave.
    Burnaby BC CA
    V5C 5E1
    jjdob...@gmail.com

73 de Jordan ve7jjd

What do you mean by "copy"?
    I have a schematic for the DA 100
    Chuck KA6UUP

I am in the same boat as many others here. Because I had one of these antennas, circa 1980, and liked it very much, especially on MW, I picked up the indoor component of the Stoner McKay Dymek DA100 on ebay for $30. But I couldn't find the matching
    outdoor component anywhere. I do however have some good 1.5 meter outdoor whips. I would imagine that the little box under the original whip antenna on the commercial unit was a simple preamplifier designed primarily to make sure that the incoming
    signal had enough oomph to make it through the 50' of coax and into the indoor unit, where it could then be attenuated. So now I'm wondering, if I keep the line in fairly short, could I just use one of my whip antennas "naked" and bring its signal
    straight in to the indoor unit, or would I need to place some kind of signal booster/preamp outside with the antenna? Any ideas? I'm not competent enough to recreate the original outdoor box even if I had the schematic for it, so I'm hoping to find
    some kind of simple solution. Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RICH MC CLUNG@21:1/5 to Wd Fusroy on Thu Sep 23 12:41:27 2021
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 11:02:58 AM UTC-7, Wd Fusroy wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 2:01:01 PM UTC-4, Wd Fusroy wrote:

outdoor component anywhere. I do however have some good 1.5 meter outdoor whips. I would imagine that the little box under the original whip antenna on the commercial unit was a simple preamplifier designed primarily to make sure that the incoming signal
    had enough oomph to make it through the 50' of coax and into the indoor unit, where it could then be attenuated. So now I'm wondering, if I keep the line in fairly short, could I just use one of my whip antennas "naked" and bring its signal straight in
    to the indoor unit, or would I need to place some kind of signal booster/preamp outside with the antenna? Any ideas? I'm not competent enough to recreate the original outdoor box even if I had the schematic for it, so I'm hoping to find some kind of
    simple solution. Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

Since the DA100D supplies DC voltage for an Active Antenna You could probably use a PA0RDT Active Antenna with it. Look here for information on the Antenna. https://owenduffy.net/antenna/PA0RDT-MiniWhip/
    RICH WA6KNW

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05