• Why does chlorine and brake fluid work?

From genesisbrindle@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 7 01:20:09 2017
    So I'm just curious about one point. I never knew this was possible until this weeks episode of Chicago Fire. So I never took a chemistry class in life (Math= migraines Science that's not biology= panic attacks. Math & science TOGETHER!?!= waterboarding)
    ANYHOO: So theres an arson fire in high school chemistry lab. Turns out started with brake fluid and bleach. But they mane it a point to say its POOL bleach which of course leads them to they firebug. So I've finally come to my point: does HOUSEHOLD (
    laundry) bleach react with it the same or is there a difference of some sort of tiny little cell or atom or whatever that makes a difference?
    P.S. I'm WAY too old for making any type of recreational bombs. And not only are they both owned free and clear but I'm in LOVE with big impressive Dodge Ram and the damn near perfect house my daddy left me. So no worries I ain't looking for pointers lol

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From docsuds@gmail.com@21:1/5 to genesis...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 14 20:13:02 2017
    On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 4:20:10 AM UTC-4, genesis...@gmail.com wrote:
    So I'm just curious about one point. I never knew this was possible until this weeks episode of Chicago Fire. So I never took a chemistry class in life (Math= migraines Science that's not biology= panic attacks. Math & science TOGETHER!?!=
    waterboarding) ANYHOO: So theres an arson fire in high school chemistry lab. Turns out started with brake fluid and bleach. But they mane it a point to say its POOL bleach which of course leads them to they firebug. So I've finally come to my point:
    does HOUSEHOLD (laundry) bleach react with it the same or is there a difference of some sort of tiny little cell or atom or whatever that makes a difference?

Yes, all the water in household bleach. Pool "chlorine" comes as a solid.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bbeck7@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Stuart Johnson on Sun Oct 15 22:44:13 2017
    On Sunday, July 7, 1996 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Stuart Johnson wrote:
    Well, er... I guess the title pretty much sums it up. Why does chlorine
    and brake fluid make pretty red flames? What's the chemical reaction
    going on here?

--
    __ _______
    \ \/ _ _/ stjohn@scsn.net | Did you hear the joke about the blind
    \ / / / Stuart Johnson | midget and the dog trapped inside the
    \/ /_/ No WWW page (yet)| suit of armor? O-

I believe it was solid calcium hypochlorite and it reacts with the OH groups in the brake fluid.Sodium chlorite will also work with brake fluid.Regular 5 to 10% liquid sodium hypochlorite is to dilute to initiate flames with brake fluid.Potassium
    permanganate and glycerine will also flame up.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05