• Indoor/smokeless gerbs ?

From diyakes@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 6 00:54:35 2017
    19 Kasım 2002 Salı 16:06:03 UTC+3 tarihinde Lloyd E. Sponenburgh yazdı:
    Jared,

Pure mixtures burn with smoke, also. Any composition with a metal salt will likely produce a solid combustion product which evolves as smoke.

In the 'indoor' industry there are 'low smoke' gerbs -- basically, as you thought; very pure materials with quantities severely limited.

There are so-called 'smokeless' gerbs using Ammonium Perchlorate as the oxidizer, and fuels well balanced to minimize smoke output. The drawback here is that most AP formulae emit large quantities of HCl gas that is
    acrid, corrosive, and produces large clouds of white acid vapor in high-humidity environments.

Then there are the 'nitrated-X' compositions, using nitrocellulose and other organic nitrates. These tend to be very low smoke, non-irritating, and usually VERY low impulse. Table-top gerbs are typically guncotton and misch metal. Pretty, but not very impressive.

LLoyd

Organization: Road Runner High Speed Online -- Northeast Ohio
    Newsgroups: rec.pyrotechnics
    Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:30:35 GMT
    Subject: Re: Indoor/smokeless gerbs ?

I'm guessing that it's not only the fuel, but the purity of the fuel. Unpure fuels burn with smoke. I don't know what this would be... I'm a beginner here. I'm just using my own knowledge on this...

-Jared

"Ken Windler" <windlerX@uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:Pine.GSO.4.31.0211190154530.4977-100000@ux13.cso.uiuc.edu...
    To anyone who may know--
    I was curious as to what makes indoor or smokeless gerbs or
    fountains smokless. Is it the fuel they use? If so, is it a high energy >> fuel like a HE? If not, is it a very specific ratio of fuel to oxidizer? >> What else could it be?
    Thanks in advance,
    --Ken

To reply remove the X

Dear Mr Lloyd
    do you have any suggestion about organic nitrates and 'nitrated-X' compositions?
    what we can use insteat of Ammonium percholorate?
    thanks andregards.

Salim.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)