• ball mill grinding media:

From jehutchinson60@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 7 15:24:43 2017
    I use ball bearings they work great depending on what size you’re using use half-inch and three-quarter Inch. But even bigger sizes will work. I don’t use them to grand BP though. Our use them for my charcoal and or my oxidizers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From PC@21:1/5 to jehutch...@gmail.com on Thu Jan 18 11:22:31 2018
    On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 6:24:44 PM UTC-5, jehutch...@gmail.com wrote:
    I use ball bearings they work great depending on what size you’re using use half-inch and three-quarter Inch. But even bigger sizes will work. I don’t use them to grand BP though. Our use them for my charcoal and or my oxidizers.

Anybody have any thoughts on the idea below (from Skylighter Newsletter)

Here's a tip for all those pyro types that mill their own black powder. Much has been discussed about using a non-sparking media, and whether or not ceramic balls will cause an explosion, possible health problems from lead media, etc.

I've been using good ole U.S. of A currency discs for that purpose for the last five years with nary a problem. The nickel and quarter denominations work very well. They don't spark; They are about impossible to wear out, and they're cheap. I use 12
    quarters and 20 nickels to mill 100 grams of lift in about 3 hours. The coins cascade in landslide fashion down the inside the tumbler and provide a shearing/rolling action to the mix.

I mill the charcoal and potassium nitrate for 2 hours and add the sulfur for the last hour. After pressing, corning, and screening, my lift BP is as good as any commercial product I've tried

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)