• SCWC 378 announcement

From Luciano Ward@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 19 06:43:11 2021
    Many thanks to Kevin for moderating the previous round and for choosing my clue as the winner.

For SCWC 378, please write one, two or three clues for:

PHILANDERER (11)

and post them here.

The deadline is end of day, your time, next Friday, March 26.

Thanks,

Luciano

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From wald@math.uchicago.edu@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 19 11:27:58 2021
    The Princess Royal's parents beheaded her lover (11)
    Each keeps greeting Mars probe operator (11)
    Rake handle endlessly obstructs caterer (11)

Kevin Wald wald@math.uchicago.edu | Guy rotated end of http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~wald | rake handle (4)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 19 16:59:26 2021
    Phillip's liaison with one queen followed directly by another will gain him a reputation! ( 11)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Duke@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 21 14:14:35 2021
    Perhaps Bill Clinton to help randier rogue (11)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve = : ^ )@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 21 14:33:55 2021
    PHILANDERER (11)

_Playboy_ April: “End Her Fooling Around” (11)

(Underscores denote italics)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luciano Ward@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 26 09:18:59 2021
    A reminder: end of day your time is deadline.

Luciano

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luciano Ward@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 27 09:33:24 2021
    Many thanks for your clues. They are below, with my interpretations. Please comment, if necessary.

Luciano

------------

Kevin:

PHIL AND ER + (h)ER; def = lover

PER around [HI + LANDER]; def = operator

HIL(t) in PANDERER; def = rake

------------

David:

Phillip's liaison with one queen followed directly by another will gain him a reputation! ( 11)

PHIL AND ER + ER; def = 'him' in 'will gain him a reputation' (ref that liaison business)

------------

Duke:

HELPRANDIER anag; def = perhaps bill Clinton

------------

Steve:

APRILENDHER anag; def = playboy (Underscores denote italics)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luciano Ward@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 1 06:07:59 2021
    Repeated thanks for your clues. They are below, with my judgments. The result follows.

Luciano

------------

Kevin:

The Princess Royal's parents beheaded her lover (3)
    -- Being British and somewhat of a loyal subject, I would never refer to the Duke of Edinburgh as 'Phil' (only Her Majesty may do that). 'ER', again, is a rather too-familiar way of referring to his great wife and my Queen. In a similar vein, the entire
    tone of the surface reading is greatly insulting to the royal family and its practices.

Each keeps greeting Mars probe operator (27)
    -- 'Hi' is a rather vulgar greeting, and I've never been happy with it in crossword clues. 'operator' as a definition is too Americanese for me, and, thus, rather uncouth. I do not like the word 'probe' in clues. I would expect more of this entrant.

-- I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this scenario. It sounds like the premise of a very bad and (re the audience's perception) rather interminable 1970s Belgian comedy. At least you got the enumeration right.

------------

David:

PHIL AND ER + ER; def = 'him' in 'will gain him a reputation' (ref that liaison business)
    -- If you are referring to Prince Philip, consort to our majesty (and I will presume that you are), then it verges on the treasonous for you to give him two 'L's instead of one. The rest of the clue I could not care less about: your treason is all that
    matters, here. The UK authorities have been notified. Expect deportation. Also, the surface reading is slanderous to the point not only of treason but of sacrilege: Phill is, has been, and will forever be absolutely faithfull to Betty.

------------

Duke:

-- I have sent this clue to Bill Clinton (or, as he prefers to be known, B.J.). Expect communication from his army (quite literally) of lawyers. Nothing was proved about his (alleged) behaviour, apart from what was proved. Nothing was admitted, apart
    from what was admitted (eventually). And no doubt you hoped that the somewhat lily-livered 'perhaps' might save you from the courts. Not in the eyes of his lawyers (in fact, you probably added another few years to your prison term). Also, no one was
    randier than Bill (allegedly), so the surface reading is absurd.

------------

Steve:

APRILENDHER anag; def = playboy
    -- The only morally decent and truly tasteful clue in the whole bunch.

----------

Once the mists of anger have lifted from my eyes, the result will be forthcoming.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 1 18:10:26 2021
    I am not referring to Prince Philip at all, and I use the ER as standard for a queen. I am referring to Phillip II of Macedon who by all accounts, was just as much a ruthless tyrant as his son, with the II bit resting on the reckless liaisons! Lighten up,
    my friend. I am not so low, especially when the whole of the Royal Family appear to be under fire, after Meghan's iniquitous interview with Oprah Winfrey. Now feel free to reject my clue for being too vague, but don't make any assumptions about me,
    please.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to David A on Thu Apr 1 18:16:37 2021
    On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 10:40:27 PM UTC-2:30, David A wrote:
    I am not referring to Prince Philip at all, and I use the ER as standard for a queen. I am referring to Phillip II of Macedon who by all accounts, was just as much a ruthless tyrant as his son, with the II bit resting on the reckless liaisons! Lighten
    up, my friend. I am not so low, especially when the whole of the Royal Family appear to be under fire, after Meghan's iniquitous interview with Oprah Winfrey. Now feel free to reject my clue for being too vague, but don't make any assumptions about me,
    please.

Also, please alert the authorities with my explanation. You have a nerve, from one prepared to give his life for his Queen in Vietnam, without consulting me for my explanation first. I got 128 likes on The Times for my condemnation of Meghan Markle. This
    kind of response from you is totally uncalled for, and I desire an apology.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to David A on Thu Apr 1 18:38:08 2021
    On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 10:46:37 PM UTC-2:30, David A wrote:
    I am not referring to Prince Philip at all, and I use the ER as standard for a queen. I am referring to Phillip II of Macedon who by all accounts, was just as much a ruthless tyrant as his son, with the II bit resting on the reckless liaisons!
    Lighten up, my friend. I am not so low, especially when the whole of the Royal Family appear to be under fire, after Meghan's iniquitous interview with Oprah Winfrey. Now feel free to reject my clue for being too vague, but don't make any assumptions
    about me, please.
    Also, please alert the authorities with my explanation. You have a nerve, from one prepared to give his life for his Queen in Vietnam, without consulting me for my explanation first. I got 128 likes on The Times for my condemnation of Meghan Markle.
    This kind of response from you is totally uncalled for, and I desire an apology.

I agree with you though that my clue has its flaws. I was too preoccupied with the mathematics of II to realise that I should have put the clue in the past tense! So, yes, my clue is rubbish on that account, so I humbly withdraw it with apology, though
    with the very feeble defence, historical events are sometimes referred in the present tense as in a newspaper headline like Rommel invades North Africa after the evacuation of Crete! Nothing malicious intended against Prince Philip in my clue, and the
    double 'll'was intentional! I may be many things, but a traitor to Queen and country? Never!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to David A on Thu Apr 1 19:48:51 2021
    On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 11:08:09 PM UTC-2:30, David A wrote:
    I am not referring to Prince Philip at all, and I use the ER as standard for a queen. I am referring to Phillip II of Macedon who by all accounts, was just as much a ruthless tyrant as his son, with the II bit resting on the reckless liaisons!
    Lighten up, my friend. I am not so low, especially when the whole of the Royal Family appear to be under fire, after Meghan's iniquitous interview with Oprah Winfrey. Now feel free to reject my clue for being too vague, but don't make any assumptions
    about me, please.
    Also, please alert the authorities with my explanation. You have a nerve, from one prepared to give his life for his Queen in Vietnam, without consulting me for my explanation first. I got 128 likes on The Times for my condemnation of Meghan Markle.
    This kind of response from you is totally uncalled for, and I desire an apology.
    I agree with you though that my clue has its flaws. I was too preoccupied with the mathematics of II to realise that I should have put the clue in the past tense! So, yes, my clue is rubbish on that account, so I humbly withdraw it with apology, though
    with the very feeble defence, historical events are sometimes referred in the present tense as in a newspaper headline like Rommel invades North Africa after the evacuation of Crete! Nothing malicious intended against Prince Philip in my clue, and the
    double 'll'was intentional! I may be many things, but a traitor to Queen and country? Never!
    Och, what's the use! It's I who should be apologising for the original mechanical explanation to my clue, and my explanation assumed you could see Phillip! But you assumed I had made a typing error in my clue, which was not the case. If I had written
    Phillip II, though it would have made the clue pedantic, and I was hoping the sequence of two queens one after the other would help people conclude with the Phillip I was referring to! In any case, it is utterly preposterous for you to to suggest that
    Prince Philip had divided affections between queens. So if my conclusion is seen as preposterous, I submit it is a damn sight less than yours. Judge not lest ye be judged, is my advice, Luciano!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to David A on Thu Apr 1 20:13:08 2021
    On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 12:18:52 AM UTC-2:30, David A wrote:
    On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 11:08:09 PM UTC-2:30, David A wrote:
    about me, please.
    I agree with you though that my clue has its flaws. I was too preoccupied with the mathematics of II to realise that I should have put the clue in the past tense! So, yes, my clue is rubbish on that account, so I humbly withdraw it with apology,
    though with the very feeble defence, historical events are sometimes referred in the present tense as in a newspaper headline like Rommel invades North Africa after the evacuation of Crete! Nothing malicious intended against Prince Philip in my clue, and
    the double 'll'was intentional! I may be many things, but a traitor to Queen and country? Never!
    Och, what's the use! It's I who should be apologising for the original mechanical explanation to my clue, and my explanation assumed you could see Phillip! But you assumed I had made a typing error in my clue, which was not the case. If I had written
    Phillip II, though it would have made the clue pedantic, and I was hoping the sequence of two queens one after the other would help people conclude with the Phillip I was referring to! In any case, it is utterly preposterous for you to to suggest that
    Prince Philip had divided affections between queens. So if my conclusion is seen as preposterous, I submit it is a damn sight less than yours. Judge not lest ye be judged, is my advice, Luciano!
    Besides which, you have not even pronounced a winner yet, and on those grounds alone, I leave mine in the pot, and just as you still haven't decided on this, going to the authorities in the interim and pronouncing libel about me was equally uncalled for,
    but because you are a friend, I won't be suing you for defamation!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to Luciano Ward on Fri Apr 2 03:07:35 2021
    On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 10:38:00 AM UTC-2:30, Luciano Ward wrote:
    Repeated thanks for your clues. They are below, with my judgments. The result follows.

Luciano

------------

Kevin:

-- Being British and somewhat of a loyal subject, I would never refer to the Duke of Edinburgh as 'Phil' (only Her Majesty may do that). 'ER', again, is a rather too-familiar way of referring to his great wife and my Queen. In a similar vein, the
    entire tone of the surface reading is greatly insulting to the royal family and its practices.

-- 'Hi' is a rather vulgar greeting, and I've never been happy with it in crossword clues. 'operator' as a definition is too Americanese for me, and, thus, rather uncouth. I do not like the word 'probe' in clues. I would expect more of this entrant.
    -- I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this scenario. It sounds like the premise of a very bad and (re the audience's perception) rather interminable 1970s Belgian comedy. At least you got the enumeration right.
    ------------

David:

-- If you are referring to Prince Philip, consort to our majesty (and I will presume that you are), then it verges on the treasonous for you to give him two 'L's instead of one. The rest of the clue I could not care less about: your treason is all that
    matters, here. The UK authorities have been notified. Expect deportation. Also, the surface reading is slanderous to the point not only of treason but of sacrilege: Phill is, has been, and will forever be absolutely faithfull to Betty.
    ------------

Duke:

-- I have sent this clue to Bill Clinton (or, as he prefers to be known, B.J.). Expect communication from his army (quite literally) of lawyers. Nothing was proved about his (alleged) behaviour, apart from what was proved. Nothing was admitted, apart
    from what was admitted (eventually). And no doubt you hoped that the somewhat lily-livered 'perhaps' might save you from the courts. Not in the eyes of his lawyers (in fact, you probably added another few years to your prison term). Also, no one was
    ------------

Steve:

----------

Once the mists of anger have lifted from my eyes, the result will be forthcoming.
    Final note: I am equally aware that my clue could have alluded to Queen Elizabeth I and King Philip II of Spain, but that would have been grossly insulting to the Spanish people, and for all his faults he was a devout Catholic, and would never have
    entertained such an outrage. The only one who fitted the bill was Phillip II of Macedon who was a ruthless tyrant and treated women accordingly! For a crossword man, who is normally astute, I level your criticisms of Kevin and others squarely at yourself,
    and it remains for you to do the decent thing for the group. I agree that Steve's clue is probably a worthy winner. Can we all kiss and make up, please, and blame Covid-19?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to David A on Fri Apr 2 03:22:17 2021
    On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 7:37:37 AM UTC-2:30, David A wrote:
    On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 10:38:00 AM UTC-2:30, Luciano Ward wrote:

Luciano

------------

Kevin:

-- Being British and somewhat of a loyal subject, I would never refer to the Duke of Edinburgh as 'Phil' (only Her Majesty may do that). 'ER', again, is a rather too-familiar way of referring to his great wife and my Queen. In a similar vein, the
    entire tone of the surface reading is greatly insulting to the royal family and its practices.

------------

David:

-- If you are referring to Prince Philip, consort to our majesty (and I will presume that you are), then it verges on the treasonous for you to give him two 'L's instead of one. The rest of the clue I could not care less about: your treason is all
    that matters, here. The UK authorities have been notified. Expect deportation. Also, the surface reading is slanderous to the point not only of treason but of sacrilege: Phill is, has been, and will forever be absolutely faithfull to Betty.
    ------------

Duke:

------------

Steve:

----------

Final note: I am equally aware that my clue could have alluded to Queen Elizabeth I and King Philip II of Spain, but that would have been grossly insulting to the Spanish people, and for all his faults he was a devout Catholic, and would never have
    entertained such an outrage. The only one who fitted the bill was Phillip II of Macedon who was a ruthless tyrant and treated women accordingly! For a crossword man, who is normally astute, I level your criticisms of Kevin and others squarely at yourself,
    and it remains for you to do the decent thing for the group. I agree that Steve's clue is probably a worthy winner. Can we all kiss and make up, please, and blame Covid-19?
    P.S. Let alone the other Good Queen Bess, both Besses of whom I wrote an article about, in outright praise on my website, in the light of which your allegations make no sense whatsoever.My heart was shattered as yours clearly was when Markle made her
    very public allegations to the World, imagining the stress our poor Queen and Prince Philip were already under. She's a piece of work that Markle, and I hope she will now be permanently excluded from the Royal Family. Don't have much time for Oprah
    Winfrey either after this. I hope I make myself clear, finally! You are good at Italian, read my article!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to Luciano Ward on Fri Apr 2 06:08:27 2021
    On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 11:13:12 AM UTC-2:30, Luciano Ward wrote:
    Many thanks to Kevin for moderating the previous round and for choosing my clue as the winner.

PHILANDERER (11)

and post them here.

Thanks,

Luciano
    You set the bar, old friend, that of clueing the word PHILANDERER a man who plays fast and loose.
    I gave one notorious example, which you mistook for Prince Philip and our Sovereign Queen.
    Innocent of all charges. I have no idea, if you have seriously gone to the authorities with a complaint that I can't spell!
    But if you have, I want you to do something about it pronto, though any reasonable person looking at my clue, will probably have put your complaint in the bin where it belongs!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to Luciano Ward on Fri Apr 2 18:02:19 2021
    On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 11:13:12 AM UTC-2:30, Luciano Ward wrote:

PHILANDERER (11)

and post them here.

Thanks,

Luciano
    I am adamant that mine was King Phillip II of Macedon who treated his women like dirt. There is nothing wrong with my clue, and I have been judged exremely unfairly by one who will not even admit that it is he whose judgment is without any merit or
    foundation whatsoever. The more I read my clue, the more I see there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it. When you play a game of charades, which is what this clue essentially is, the game is conducted in the present tense. Which Phillip might that be
    is the operative question? Well he's already indicated the man's name is Phillip, so that rules out any spelt with a single 'L', and since there aren't any around of that description, it's time to scour the history books! I await your apology, and if it
    is until Doomsday, you can regard yourself as a lousy adjudicator!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luciano Ward@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 3 08:56:37 2021
    Repeated thanks to all entrants. Happily, I have recovered from my foolishness (though my wife might disagree). My (I hope) more measured judgments are below. The result is at the end.

----------

Kevin:

-- Appealing reference to the lady in question's parents, and a convincing, if graphic, way to get that final ER. The surface reading is involving, if a little unfortunate (not least for the lover).

-- All okay as regards the wordplay. 'operator' still seems a bit iffy to me. The surface reading is not terribly exciting (each who? each what?).

-- Again, all good re the wordplay. I do like 'rake'. It's an interesting surface reading, but not an entirely likely one.

------------

David:

-- Phillip of course need not necessarily be the Duke of Edinburgh, so that's fine. And this Phillip might have had liaisons with any number of queens, so that's okay as well. 'will gain him a reputation' doesn't really serve as a precise definition; it
    implies it, but that's not really enough, here (italicising 'him' would have helped).
    ------------

Duke:

-- The definition is unimpeachable (so to speak). 'to' is really not doing anything. 'rogue' is deceptively good as an (adjectival) anagram indicator. The surface reading leaves a bit to be desired.

------------

Steve:

-- Good anagram indicator. Definition is fine. The surface reading is perhaps a bit too forced for my liking, with lots of punctuation getting in the way.

--------------

Kevin wins for his decapitation clue. Steve is second.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to Luciano Ward on Tue Apr 6 14:55:08 2021
    On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 1:26:38 PM UTC-2:30, Luciano Ward wrote:
    Repeated thanks to all entrants. Happily, I have recovered from my foolishness (though my wife might disagree). My (I hope) more measured judgments are below. The result is at the end.

----------

Kevin:

-- Appealing reference to the lady in question's parents, and a convincing, if graphic, way to get that final ER. The surface reading is involving, if a little unfortunate (not least for the lover).

-- All okay as regards the wordplay. 'operator' still seems a bit iffy to me. The surface reading is not terribly exciting (each who? each what?).
    -- Again, all good re the wordplay. I do like 'rake'. It's an interesting surface reading, but not an entirely likely one.
    ------------

David:

-- Phillip of course need not necessarily be the Duke of Edinburgh, so that's fine. And this Phillip might have had liaisons with any number of queens, so that's okay as well. 'will gain him a reputation' doesn't really serve as a precise definition;
    it implies it, but that's not really enough, here (italicising 'him' would have helped).
    ------------

Duke:

-- The definition is unimpeachable (so to speak). 'to' is really not doing anything. 'rogue' is deceptively good as an (adjectival) anagram indicator. The surface reading leaves a bit to be desired.
    ------------

Steve:

-- Good anagram indicator. Definition is fine. The surface reading is perhaps a bit too forced for my liking, with lots of punctuation getting in the way.

--------------

Whilst I have no qualms with the eventual verdict, I'm with your wife on this one - (8,6)!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luciano Ward@21:1/5 to David A on Wed Apr 7 14:34:17 2021
    On Tuesday, 6 April 2021 at 16:55:09 UTC-5, David A wrote:

----------

Kevin:

------------

David:

-- Phillip of course need not necessarily be the Duke of Edinburgh, so that's fine. And this Phillip might have had liaisons with any number of queens, so that's okay as well. 'will gain him a reputation' doesn't really serve as a precise definition;
    it implies it, but that's not really enough, here (italicising 'him' would have helped).
    ------------

Duke:

------------

Steve:

--------------

Whilst I have no qualms with the eventual verdict, I'm with your wife on this one - (8,6)!

And she with you...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to Luciano Ward on Thu Apr 8 08:08:16 2021
    On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 7:04:18 PM UTC-2:30, Luciano Ward wrote:

----------

Kevin:

------------

David:

-- Phillip of course need not necessarily be the Duke of Edinburgh, so that's fine. And this Phillip might have had liaisons with any number of queens, so that's okay as well. 'will gain him a reputation' doesn't really serve as a precise
    definition; it implies it, but that's not really enough, here (italicising 'him' would have helped).
    ------------

Duke:

------------

Steve:

--------------

And she with you...
    Appreciated!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to David A on Sat Apr 10 07:13:45 2021
    On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 12:38:17 PM UTC-2:30, David A wrote:

----------

Kevin:

------------

David:

-- Phillip of course need not necessarily be the Duke of Edinburgh, so that's fine. And this Phillip might have had liaisons with any number of queens, so that's okay as well. 'will gain him a reputation' doesn't really serve as a precise
    definition; it implies it, but that's not really enough, here (italicising 'him' would have helped).
    ------------

Duke:

------------

Steve:

--------------

And she with you...
    Appreciated!
    You, too I am happy to forgive as well. Very sad to hear of his death. He had a great life, hugely respected by fine example and very sadly missed! You see, we are on the same page, after all!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David A@21:1/5 to David A on Sun Apr 11 04:42:34 2021
    On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 11:43:46 AM UTC-2:30, David A wrote:
    On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 12:38:17 PM UTC-2:30, David A wrote:

----------

Kevin:

------------

David:

------------

Duke:

------------

Steve:

--------------

And she with you...
    Appreciated!
    You, too I am happy to forgive as well. Very sad to hear of his death. He had a great life, hugely respected by fine example and very sadly missed! You see, we are on the same page, after all!
    P.S. I've written a wee tribute to him and HMQ on my Home Page.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05