• impugn (v.) "attack by argument," late 14c.

From henhanna@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 26 14:32:36 2022
    here's a puzzle... What movie did i just watch that made me look up the word [impugn] ?

let me know if ....

-------- you learned a word from a movie (or novel)

-------- you looked up a word after (while) watching a movie (or novel) or Poem, play....

late Middle English (also in the sense ‘assault, attack physically’): from Latin impugnare ‘assail’, from in- ‘towards’ + pugnare ‘fight’.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/impugn

impugn (v.) "attack by argument," late 14c., from Old French impugner (14c.), from Latin impugnare "to fight against, assault, attack," from assimilated form of in- "into, in, on, upon" (from PIE root *en "in") + pugnare "to fight" (see
    pugnacious).

Related: Impugned; impugning.

Impugnable has meant "liable to be assailed" (1823) and "that cannot be assailed" (1560s).

--------------- a Janus word !

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From henhanna@gmail.com@21:1/5 to henh...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 29 22:36:31 2022
    i think i learned the word Detritus from the movie HEAT, dir. by Michael Mann.
    (this scene is only in the DVD version, not in the theatre version)

i think i learned the word Duumvirate from the novel Ulysses by J. Joyce.

de·tri·tus [dəˈtrīdəs] NOUN
    == waste or debris of any kind:
    "streets filled with rubble and detritus"

du·um·vi·rate [ˌd(y)o͞oˈəmvərət] NOUN
    == a coalition of two people having joint authority or influence:
    "real power will devolve into the hands of a duumvirate"

On Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 2:32:38 PM UTC-7, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
    here's a puzzle... What movie did i just watch that made me look up the word [impugn] ?

let me know if ....

-------- you learned a word from a movie (or novel)

-------- you looked up a word after (while) watching a movie (or novel) or Poem, play....

late Middle English (also in the sense ‘assault, attack physically’): from Latin impugnare ‘assail’, from in- ‘towards’ + pugnare ‘fight’.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/impugn

impugn (v.) "attack by argument," late 14c., from Old French impugner (14c.), from Latin impugnare "to fight against, assault, attack," from assimilated form of in- "into, in, on, upon" (from PIE root *en "in") + pugnare "to fight" (see pugnacious).

Related: Impugned; impugning.

Impugnable has meant "liable to be assailed" (1823) and "that cannot be assailed" (1560s).

--------------- a Janus word !

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)