• FROG KILLS KOI IN UK POND

From thompsonjoanne57@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ian Taylor on Mon Mar 5 10:31:09 2018
    On Saturday, 7 March 1998 08:00:00 UTC, Ian Taylor wrote:
    My friend has a largish (approx. 800 gallon pond). In it there are
    goldfish and koi. Lately he has found a couple of the bigger koi dead for
    no apparent reason. Today he was in the garden when he saw a fish rolling around in the pond. He netted it (a koi about 8 inches long) and on its
    back was a large frog. The frog had to be prised off the fish, I assume it was attempting to mate with the frog! This is not a joke, it is quite true. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon and has it killed their fish?

Also the dead fish were at the bottom of the pond. What makes dead ones
    float or sink? Is it gas like in most corpses, in this case in the swim bladder?

Thanks

Ian

i to have just had to seperate a frog grasping hold of one of my koi it was on its back and holding on very tight had a problem getting it off my koi died iv had frogs in my pond with koi for 6 years no problem that i know of till today

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From t44tod@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 24 10:22:27 2018
    I have just witnessed this myself , I have just netted my koi at bottom of pond with a frog on top of it-the frog had wedged its front feet into the fish gills killing the fish. It is mating season at the moment - so this is possible. I was a bit quick
    removing the frog from the koi to see if the fish was alive ... had I thought I could have taken a pic as I was pretty shocked as not witnessed anything like this before !

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ianjames6815@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 7 08:24:59 2018
    Yes this has happened in my pond last winter noticed a fish at the bottom I thought was dead when I put it in the net and brought it to the surface notice a frog wrapped tightly around it I removed the frog and threw it over the garden fence the fish
    swam off but within 2 days it died.šŸ˜¬

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From natashaortola@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 17 00:43:35 2019
    I have this happening to me right now, I don't have koi fish I have shubunkins. My poor little fish! It's gripped so tight around him that I can't take him off!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From thebigyellowbusproject@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 21 13:49:03 2019
    Iā€™ve just had this happen too! But the frog wasnā€™t gripping the gills it had actually lodged its legs into the koiā€™s eyes!! Yes itā€™s eye sockets! How in gods name it had done it I donā€™t know but I literally had to prise this frog off my koi and
    pull its front legs out of the koiā€™s eye sockets! Itā€™s dark right now so I canā€™t check my fish over easily but fingers crossed itā€™s alright? It swam away but there must be damage? I fk hope it survives. Iā€™ve never seen or heard of the before! Iā
    €™m guessing the only reason the fish isnā€™t dead, it that the frog didnā€™t attach to the gills and suffocate the koi. Maybe that means she can survive albeit properly blinded :(

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From c.garton@sky.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 27 07:36:09 2019
    Had the same issue here in suny Kent. Toad attached to the koiā€™s head, both front arms in the koiā€™s eyes but the toad was facing towards the tail - so the koi was able to breath but it looked like something from the film aliens. Doubtful it will have
    any sight left now but the toad - once removed - learnt how to fly into the neighbours garden.... apparently it only happens if there is no female toad in the pond...

Then an hour later noticed my black sturgeon was belly up on the bottom of the pond - scooped it out to find it too had a toad on its head. With Orange eyes and it had a claw or toe nail on each front hand (probably to grip the female) now the sturgeon
    is in a holding pool along with all my other fish. Had scrape marks all down itā€™s head where the toad had been trying to latch on. This was a big fish some 20ā€ long yet it may not live the day thanks to a fk toad.

Anyone know of an ā€œAnne summersā€ or ā€œlove honeyā€ site for toads/frogs so I can get something else to distract the Randy so-and-soā€™s........

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From iainrichmond3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 22 08:11:39 2019
    Hello ian i have two koi carp abd a frog was ob one the carps head yesterday gotvthecfrg of and today the frogcwas on thecsam koi carp again will my fish bebokay paula abd iain

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hughesmichelle517@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 31 23:55:12 2019
    We have had the exact same experience. The frogs killed all our fish by clinging on to them. I tried to prise them apart with no joy. We now keep our pond purely as a wildlife pond with no fish, which is better for wildlife anyway.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gregsy1966@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 26 02:44:52 2019
    I have the opposite problem, not that I like frogs. But one of my larger koi grabs the frogs by the leg and carries them around the pond until they die. Then just toys with the dead frog like a child with a teddy bear.
    I've had koi for a good few years and never seen this before.
    Anyone seen this behaviour?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From appsjamin30@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 4 16:45:04 2020
    Myself and at least 3 others witnessed frogs clamping round the gills of koi carp in a pond in Bournemouth. We watched for a good half hour trying to work out what was actually happening. I genuinely believe they were trying to smother the fish.
    Definitely happened though no matter what the reason

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Neene Price@21:1/5 to appsj...@gmail.com on Thu Apr 8 05:38:06 2021
    This definitely happens. I have lost 4 koi and several large orfe to this phenomenon this Spring. They clamp the gills shut so suffocate the fish or just exhaust the fish by the additional weight the fish have to carry around or damage their eyes from
    they clamp on there. They only seem to clamp onto large fish from what I have seen. I remove them where I can but often this happens overnight and death has occurred by the time I check the pond in the morning.
    I used to love frogs and toads but I have definitely gone off them now.........
    On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 12:45:05 AM UTC+1, appsj...@gmail.com wrote:
    Myself and at least 3 others witnessed frogs clamping round the gills of koi carp in a pond in Bournemouth. We watched for a good half hour trying to work out what was actually happening. I genuinely believe they were trying to smother the fish.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From N John-44@21:1/5 to Neene Price on Sun Feb 12 02:51:15 2023
    On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 1:38:07 PM UTC+1, Neene Price wrote:
    This definitely happens. I have lost 4 koi and several large orfe to this phenomenon this Spring. They clamp the gills shut so suffocate the fish or just exhaust the fish by the additional weight the fish have to carry around or damage their eyes from
    they clamp on there. They only seem to clamp onto large fish from what I have seen. I remove them where I can but often this happens overnight and death has occurred by the time I check the pond in the morning.
    I used to love frogs and toads but I have definitely gone off them now.........
    On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 12:45:05 AM UTC+1, appsj...@gmail.com wrote:

Me Too,
    I have noticed this twice in recent days , a Frog (or Toad) attaching itself to a large goldfish (not Koi) in our small pond. In both cases I separated them and no harm seems to have resulted. I haven't seen any dead goldfish yet but I guess this is
    happening all the time and there might be dead fish that have sunk ( I have a lot of darker half-breed fish). It's still winter and I haven't given the pond a good clear out yet. From other posts it seems like some sort of attempt at mating. Weird !

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05