• Re: Agfa Isoly IIa, questions

From Paul Fischer@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 12 01:17:02 2022
    Le mardi 1 septembre 1998 à 09:00:00 UTC+2, Markku Aho a écrit :
    Hello! I have an Agfa Isoly III. It has a different shutter (1/30-1/125), a self-timer and a slightly different lens. It takes normal 120-size film, but the picture frame is 4x4. So you get 16 shots per roll but the upper and lower centimeter of the film gets wasted. Theoretically you could buy 120-size Ektachrome and shoot 4x4 superslides. On the other hand the shutter speeds probably aren't too accurate, the lens is definitely not very sharp, and the red exposure number window in the back of the camera might let some unwanted rays of light reach your colour film (it serves its purpose well with B&W material though).
    But you never know if you don't try...
    Markku Aho

I also have the AGFA Isoly III and loaded it for the first time with B&W 120 film.
    How do I do to maximize the number of shots ? I know on 4x4 camera you could take up to 16 exposures. However when I unwind the Ilford film, I can only see dots then the shot number appearing. I guess the film is made for 6x6 cameras, and doesn't know I'
    m using a 4x4 one. I'm probably losing exposures, so is there a way to optimize the number of shots ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ken Hart@21:1/5 to Paul Fischer on Wed Oct 12 09:47:30 2022
    On 10/12/22 4:17 AM, Paul Fischer wrote:
    Le mardi 1 septembre 1998 à 09:00:00 UTC+2, Markku Aho a écrit :
    Hello! I have an Agfa Isoly III. It has a different shutter (1/30-1/125), a >> self-timer and a slightly different lens. It takes normal 120-size film, but >> the picture frame is 4x4. So you get 16 shots per roll but the upper and
    lower centimeter of the film gets wasted. Theoretically you could buy
    120-size Ektachrome and shoot 4x4 superslides. On the other hand the shutter >> speeds probably aren't too accurate, the lens is definitely not very sharp, >> and the red exposure number window in the back of the camera might let some >> unwanted rays of light reach your colour film (it serves its purpose well
    with B&W material though).
    But you never know if you don't try...
    Markku Aho

I also have the AGFA Isoly III and loaded it for the first time with B&W 120 film.
    How do I do to maximize the number of shots ? I know on 4x4 camera you could take up to 16 exposures. However when I unwind the Ilford film, I can only see dots then the shot number appearing. I guess the film is made for 6x6 cameras, and doesn't know
    I'm using a 4x4 one. I'm probably losing exposures, so is there a way to optimize the number of shots ?

The film itself doesn't care what the negative format is- the entire
    width and length of the film is sensitized.

But for cameras with the red film count window, the backing paper tells
    you how far to wind the film. 120 size film has three rows of numbers on
    the backing paper: for 16 exposures, 12, or 8.
    If the red window is toward the one edge of the film, the numbers for 8 exposures are visible. If the window is toward the other edge, the
    numbers for 16 exposures are visible. And if the window is in the
    center, you will see the numbers for 12 exposures.

So where is the window? It should be toward one edge of the film for
    4x4cm framing. If it is in the middle, you will only get advancing for
    12 exposures (6x6cm).

--
    Ken Hart
    kwhart1@centurylink.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)