• Dektol 1:2 or 1:3?

From bopabebrpa@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Francis A. Miniter on Mon Dec 4 09:08:41 2017
    On Friday, April 26, 2002 at 11:00:14 AM UTC-5, Francis A. Miniter wrote:
    Hi Sam,

I use 1:2 most times, though I have to confess that as every use of developer depletes the contents of the tray, at the end of the printing session I add some water to keep the bottle filled. So, eventually I am probably closer to 1:2.3 or so.

I refrigerate my D72 to prevent oxidation. And it never seems to go bad from oxidation. What I have noticed is what John Douglas commented on, namely that
    after a number of prints you cannot get a good DMax, but that usually takes quite a number. There appears to be no easy way to predict when this will happen.

It was my understanding that the dilution of Dektol (D72) affects contrast. Has anyone actually checked that out?

Francis A. Miniter

Sam G wrote:

After using Ilford paper developer for a few years, I have recently tried Dektol and have been satisfied with the results. An article in the recent Camera Arts suggested using 1:3 dilution but I noted that most writers on this group use 1:2. Can anyone speak to the differences (other than cost) between the use of these dilutions?
    Thanks,
    Sam

As far as consistent processing, see Ansel Adam's book, "The Print", on the use of factorial development. When the image first begins to appear, note the time. As you process additional prints, you extend developing time accordingly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)