• Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

From RichA@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 12 01:05:49 2021
    https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bomb-causes-emergency-landing/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From newshound@21:1/5 to RichA on Tue Oct 12 09:56:10 2021
    On 12/10/2021 09:05, RichA wrote:
    https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bomb-causes-emergency-landing/

I'd love to know what camera it was. Roleiflex perhaps?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From -hh@21:1/5 to newshound on Tue Oct 12 04:23:49 2021
    On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 4:56:13 AM UTC-4, newshound wrote:

Same. There weren't any photos of said "device" in the article. Didn't notice any
    mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day of, namely that the gentleman was allegedly manifesting 'odd' behavior (too many trips to the bathroom?).

In any event, it is an example of how RichA is having unrealistic expectations for
    the knowledge of regular folk, namely for everyone to be well versed in a specialty
    (and antiques thereof would be a niche) technology, particularly when seen out of their normal context.

Case in point, I can probably go pull a dozen different pieces of equipment out of
    the lab at work that aren't immediately recognizable to the general public for lab
    instrumentation/etc, so in the context of "futzing around" with them while onboard
    a commercial flight would be completely harmless but get everyone else nervous.

If it was 21+ years ago, a neighboring passenger might strike up a "whats that?"
    conversation and this would prevent any escalation. Perhaps even pre-CoVid, just not having a mask on (& subsequent discouragement of conversations) may have sufficed too...although we'd want to back that off by -5 years to also get rid
    of all of the MAGA induced antisocial attitudes & predispositions to violence too.

-hh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RichA@21:1/5 to -hh on Tue Oct 12 18:24:02 2021
    On Tuesday, 12 October 2021 at 07:23:53 UTC-4, -hh wrote:

Same. There weren't any photos of said "device" in the article. Didn't notice any
    mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day of, namely that the gentleman
    was allegedly manifesting 'odd' behavior (too many trips to the bathroom?).

In any event, it is an example of how RichA is having unrealistic expectations for
    the knowledge of regular folk, namely for everyone to be well versed in a specialty
    (and antiques thereof would be a niche) technology, particularly when seen out
    of their normal context.

Case in point, I can probably go pull a dozen different pieces of equipment out of
    the lab at work that aren't immediately recognizable to the general public for lab
    instrumentation/etc, so in the context of "futzing around" with them while onboard

If it was 21+ years ago, a neighboring passenger might strike up a "whats that?"
    conversation and this would prevent any escalation. Perhaps even pre-CoVid, just not having a mask on (& subsequent discouragement of conversations) may have sufficed too...although we'd want to back that off by -5 years to also get rid
    of all of the MAGA induced antisocial attitudes & predispositions to violence too.

-hh

Lab equipment isn't a camera. Lots of lab equipment is highly esoteric. But cameras are pretty identifiable. Maybe the guy pulled the film-back release and they thought it was a grenade?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mountain Magpie@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 13 03:22:31 2021
    On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 01:05:49 -0700 (PDT), RichA posted:-

LOL Check that fat toad in the CNN clip there. Too many cheeseburgers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From -hh@21:1/5 to RichA on Wed Oct 13 14:32:52 2021
    On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 9:24:04 PM UTC-4, RichA wrote:

of their normal context.

conversation and this would prevent any escalation. Perhaps even pre-CoVid,
    just not having a mask on (& subsequent discouragement of conversations) may
    have sufficed too...although we'd want to back that off by -5 years to also get rid

Lab equipment isn't a camera. Lots of lab equipment is highly esoteric.

Some of the lab gear are cameras which an average joe probably wouldn’t recognize as a camera.

But cameras are pretty identifiable.

Over the past 100 years? Not really. Witness how there’s people today who don’t
    know how to dial a rotary dial telephone already, despite how similar they still are
    to modern touch pad phones.

Maybe the guy pulled the film-back release and they thought it was a grenade?

Older cameras in particular have lots of little user-accessible metal parts to fiddle around with…and invariably, they’re also “tactical black” in coloration.
    Heck, I probably still have a personal camera or two in my own gear pile that you’re probably unable of properly setting up & operating, and your attempts to do so would have pretty good odds of causing permanent damage.

-hh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisky-dave@21:1/5 to -hh on Thu Oct 14 06:16:31 2021
    On Wednesday, 13 October 2021 at 22:32:56 UTC+1, -hh wrote:

of their normal context.

have sufficed too...although we'd want to back that off by -5 years to also get rid

Some of the lab gear are cameras which an average joe probably wouldn’t recognize as a camera.
    know how to dial a rotary dial telephone already, despite how similar they still are
    Older cameras in particular have lots of little user-accessible metal parts to
    fiddle around with…and invariably, they’re also “tactical black” in coloration.
    Heck, I probably still have a personal camera or two in my own gear pile that
    you’re probably unable of properly setting up & operating, and your attempts
    to do so would have pretty good odds of causing permanent damage.

-hh

Did you know that the handle of the star wars light sabre is actually a flash gun
    handle support from a 1950s flash bulb .

https://petapixel.com/2017/02/14/antique-camera-flash-became-iconic-star-wars-prop/

So don't go waving your vintage flash gun holder on a plane :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From -hh@21:1/5 to Whisky-dave on Thu Oct 14 06:50:30 2021
    On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 9:16:34 AM UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:

of their normal context.

Did you know that the handle of the star wars light sabre is actually a flash gun

https://petapixel.com/2017/02/14/antique-camera-flash-became-iconic-star-wars-prop/

By happenstance coincidence, yes: it was featured on an episode of "Antiques Road Show".

<https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/graflex-camera-and-flash-on-antiques-roadshow.329005/>

There's plenty of things that one shouldn't go waving around on a commercial airline flight
    these days, as times have changed: I can recall a trip many, many moons ago where I was
    hand-carrying a 25ft long custom cable on the Laguardia-to-Boston shuttle... I didn't even
    have a bag for it .. just had it slung over my shoulder & walked through security & onboard.
    In the '80s, a coworker got stopped hand-carrying machine gun barrels .. on his ~6th roundtrip.

-hh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gordon Freeman@21:1/5 to -hh on Fri Oct 15 02:16:47 2021
    -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote:

https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bo
    mb-causes-emergency-landing/

Same. There weren't any photos of said "device" in the article.
    Didn't notice any mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day of,
    namely that the gentleman was allegedly manifesting 'odd' behavior
    (too many trips to the bathroom?).

He was using it as a darkroom, it was probably the sight of him carrying
    a changing bag, film tank and bottles of chemicals into the toilet that
    aroused suspicions more than the Box Brownie he was using.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisky-dave@21:1/5 to Gordon Freeman on Fri Oct 15 05:15:35 2021
    On Friday, 15 October 2021 at 03:16:52 UTC+1, Gordon Freeman wrote:
    -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:

https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bo
    mb-causes-emergency-landing/

Didn't notice any mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day of, namely that the gentleman was allegedly manifesting 'odd' behavior
    (too many trips to the bathroom?).
    He was using it as a darkroom, it was probably the sight of him carrying
    a changing bag, film tank and bottles of chemicals into the toilet that aroused suspicions more than the Box Brownie he was using.

Are you saying peopleare allowed to take chemicals on to the plane I thought liquids of more than ~70ml were banned.

How would he have managed temperature, and how do you use a planes toilet in an plan, there's not much space in them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gordon Freeman@21:1/5 to Whisky-dave on Fri Oct 15 18:28:22 2021
    Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for
    -bo mb-causes-emergency-landing/

Didn't notice any mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day
    of, namely that the gentleman was allegedly manifesting 'odd'
    behavior (too many trips to the bathroom?).
    He was using it as a darkroom, it was probably the sight of him
    carrying a changing bag, film tank and bottles of chemicals into the
    toilet that aroused suspicions more than the Box Brownie he was
    using.

Are you saying peopleare allowed to take chemicals on to the plane
    I thought liquids of more than ~70ml were banned.

How would he have managed temperature, and how do you use a planes
    toilet in an plan, there's not much space in them.

I once had to use a wardrobe as a darkroom, it's probably about the same
    space and at least there's running water in a toilet.

Anyway, ordinary film is not too bad, but forget daguerrotypes - mercury
    isn't allowed on planes! Daguerrotypists were allowed on hot air
    balloons but never planes AFAIK.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Hart@21:1/5 to -hh on Fri Oct 15 17:29:51 2021
    On 10/14/21 9:50 AM, -hh wrote:
    On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 9:16:34 AM UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:

of their normal context.

Lab equipment isn't a camera. Lots of lab equipment is highly esoteric. >>>
    Some of the lab gear are cameras which an average joe probably wouldn’t >>> recognize as a camera.

By happenstance coincidence, yes: it was featured on an episode of "Antiques Road Show".

<https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/graflex-camera-and-flash-on-antiques-roadshow.329005/>

There's plenty of things that one shouldn't go waving around on a commercial airline flight
    these days, as times have changed: I can recall a trip many, many moons ago where I was
    hand-carrying a 25ft long custom cable on the Laguardia-to-Boston shuttle... I didn't even
    have a bag for it .. just had it slung over my shoulder & walked through security & onboard.
    In the '80s, a coworker got stopped hand-carrying machine gun barrels .. on his ~6th roundtrip.

-hh

Years ago, I bought a 1200mm f/11 Canon FL-mount lens from an auction
    house in Germany. They shipped it to me via Fedex. I got a call from the
    local Fedex depot that they had my package, and needed some info before
    they would release it. Fedex at some point had x-rayed it and thought it
    looked like a LAWS (Light-Anti-Tank-Weapons-System) rocket. I had to
    come to the depot and claim it in person. After showing them ID,
    including a passport, they took me to a concrete block room with a heavy
    door and small window. They stood outside while I opened the package and
    showed them how the lens mounted onto the camera I brought with me.

Of course it would be a bit difficult to wave that lens around in an
    airplane passenger compartment.

--
    Ken Hart
    kwhart1@centurylink.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RichA@21:1/5 to Mountain Magpie on Fri Oct 15 15:15:09 2021
    On Tuesday, 12 October 2021 at 23:23:49 UTC-4, Mountain Magpie wrote:

Ever seen a cruise ship taking on passengers in the Carolinas? EVERYONE is FAT!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Savageduck@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 15 16:21:27 2021
    On Oct 15, 2021, RichA wrote
    (in article<dba2b86d-c75e-4472-8b1c-ef52e75a5f54n@googlegroups.com>):

On Tuesday, 12 October 2021 at 23:23:49 UTC-4, Mountain Magpie wrote:

Ever seen a cruise ship taking on passengers in the Carolinas? EVERYONE is FAT!!

When was the last time you were in the Carolinas to observe passengers boarding a cruise ship?

--
    Regards,
    Savageduck

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alfred Molon@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 16 14:36:34 2021
    Am 15.10.2021 um 23:29 schrieb Ken Hart:
    Years ago, I bought a 1200mm f/11 Canon FL-mount lens from an auction
    house in Germany. They shipped it to me via Fedex. I got a call from the local Fedex depot that they had my package, and needed some info before
    they would release it. Fedex at some point had x-rayed it and thought it looked like a LAWS (Light-Anti-Tank-Weapons-System) rocket. I had to
    come to the depot and claim it in person. After showing them ID,
    including a passport, they took me to a concrete block room with a heavy
    door and small window. They stood outside while I opened the package and showed them how the lens mounted onto the camera I brought with me.

Of course it would be a bit difficult to wave that lens around in an
    airplane passenger compartment.

You should try using that lens near an airport to take pictures of planes.
    --
    Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
    https://groups.io/g/myolympus
    https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisky-dave@21:1/5 to Gordon Freeman on Mon Oct 18 05:38:08 2021
    On Friday, 15 October 2021 at 19:28:27 UTC+1, Gordon Freeman wrote:
    Whisky-dave <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for
    -bo mb-causes-emergency-landing/

Didn't notice any mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day
    of, namely that the gentleman was allegedly manifesting 'odd'
    behavior (too many trips to the bathroom?).
    He was using it as a darkroom, it was probably the sight of him
    carrying a changing bag, film tank and bottles of chemicals into the
    toilet that aroused suspicions more than the Box Brownie he was
    using.

Are you saying peopleare allowed to take chemicals on to the plane
    I thought liquids of more than ~70ml were banned.

How would he have managed temperature, and how do you use a planes
    toilet in an plan, there's not much space in them.
    I once had to use a wardrobe as a darkroom, it's probably about the same space and at least there's running water in a toilet.

my point was I don;t think airline componies would allow you to use any of their toilets
    as a darkroom not even those on the ground, and as they didn't charge him with anything
    as he wasn;t doing anything wrong.

Anyway, ordinary film is not too bad, but forget daguerrotypes - mercury isn't allowed on planes! Daguerrotypists were allowed on hot air
    balloons but never planes AFAIK.

I went to a nightclub on saturday, and they frisk you for drink, drugs weapons etc.
    and I just said if I want a free drink I'll drink the hand sanitizer you provide for free.
    I forgot the doorman couldn't see me smile while I was wearing a mask though.
    I go in anyway.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05