• Drone and Cell Phone

From croy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 28 13:40:39 2021
    If a person buys a drone, such as a Mavic, and buys a cell phone, does the phone need to have
    an account, or can it be used solely for flying the drone?

--
    croy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From nospam@21:1/5 to croy@spam.invalid.net on Sat Aug 28 16:41:25 2021
    In article <5n7ligdevnbeacg7mo82ne5bs4fqgujkor@4ax.com>, croy <croy@spam.invalid.net> wrote:

If a person buys a drone, such as a Mavic, and buys a cell phone, does the phone need to have

it doesn't need a cellular plan.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Savageduck@21:1/5 to croy on Sat Aug 28 17:56:22 2021
    On Aug 28, 2021, croy wrote
    (in article<5n7ligdevnbeacg7mo82ne5bs4fqgujkor@4ax.com>):

You do not need to have a smart phone account to use a Smart Phone with a DJI controller. You do need to be able to connect with a network, home, or other in order to download and install the appropriate DJI app for the specific DJI drone.

I have repurposed my, no longer used as a Smartphone, iPhone 6S to use with my DJI Air 2, and it works just fine. However, for the last year I have been using the DJI Smart Controller (SC) to fly both my Air 2, and my Air 2S, as the display screen is
    much better in bright sunlight on the SC than either my iPhone 6S, or iP8 Plus, and is much simpler for set up. In bright sunlight with an iPhone you might as well be flying blind.
    Now I will only use my iPhone as a last resort.

So if you can afford it, I recommend the DJI Smart Controller.

Which DJI drone are you considering?

--
    Regards,
    Savageduck

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ron@21:1/5 to croy on Sun Aug 29 00:58:47 2021
    I use an old iPhone 5 with my DJI Mini.
    My regular phone is not compatible with the DJY Fly App.

On 8/28/2021 3:40 PM, croy wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan Browne@21:1/5 to croy on Sun Aug 29 11:44:24 2021
    On 2021-08-28 16:40, croy wrote:

I fly one (Phantom Pro IV) using an iPad w/o cell ability. Update the
    s/w and maps (for no fly areas such as near airports) before leaving the
    house. Indeed it's time to do some battery maintenance flights...

The phone/ipad should have GPS so that the relative positions are known.
    This is not critical if the ground station stays put, but if the
    ground station is mobile (boat, roaming ground station), then it may
    prove difficult to navigate back in some situations. Keep line of sight
    (which is hard with a Mavic beyond a certain range or in some lighting/background conditions).

--
    "...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
    man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
    -Samuel Clemens

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From croy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 29 10:12:33 2021
    On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:56:22 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

Thanks for that info, Duck--it's just what I was looking for (I don't have a cell phone). After
    posting my question here, I decided to have a look at the DJI pages (that's the only company
    I'm aware of so far), and I see they have a set with goggles, apparently to see what the drone
    is seeing. Now, if I could just remember where I put that unneeded $1400.... One drawback
    with that system, it would seem to me, is if the drone is close, you can't just look up at
    it--you'd have to let go of the controller and pull off the goggles.

No particular one at the moment. After looking at the DJI pages and prices, I might decide to
    just use a ladder and a camera in my hand to monitor the illegal pig farm next door :-l

I would hate to buy something expensive, as there are so many utility wires around my house it
    looks like the set of Jurasic Park--and I don't have very quick reflexes. A lot of trees, too.
    Wide-open spaces are scarce around here.

--
    croy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Savageduck@21:1/5 to croy on Sun Aug 29 10:43:46 2021
    On Aug 29, 2021, croy wrote
    (in article<cnenigtbmf72udhnhgd24cem1b2p4aj89g@4ax.com>):

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:56:22 -0700, Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

Thanks for that info, Duck--it's just what I was looking for (I don't have a cell phone). After
    posting my question here, I decided to have a look at the DJI pages (that's the only company
    I'm aware of so far), and I see they have a set with goggles, apparently to see what the drone
    is seeing. Now, if I could just remember where I put that unneeded $1400.... One drawback
    with that system, it would seem to me, is if the drone is close, you can't just look up at

That is the DJI FPV drone, and I would not recommend it as a first drone for anybody. Also the FPV drone does not use a phone with the controller. All visualization is done using the goggles.

No particular one at the moment. After looking at the DJI pages and prices, I might decide to
    just use a ladder and a camera in my hand to monitor the illegal pig farm next door :-l

I would hate to buy something expensive, as there are so many utility wires around my house it
    looks like the set of Jurasic Park--and I don't have very quick reflexes. A lot of trees, too.

If you can afford it, my recommendation is to buy the DJI Air 2S Fly More Combo with the Smart Controller rather than the standard controller. That way you won’t have to worry about a smart phone.
    If not then the Air 2S + Fly More Combo with standard controller. A bit lower in cost would be the DJI Mini 2 Fly More Combo.

If you are able to wait a little longer the more expensive Mavic 3 is supposed to be released within the next few weeks.

You can buy from DJI direct, or from BestBuy, B&H, or Adorama. Fastest delivery would be via BestBuy or B&H.

--
    Regards,
    Savageduck

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nospam@21:1/5 to Bill W on Sun Aug 29 14:58:01 2021
    In article <0001HW.26DC0C2503160CD73097B138F@news-us.newsgroup.ninja>,
    Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

And no sales tax with the Payboo/B&H credit card. I have saved so much money with that thing.

the only problem is the 'cashback' can only be used at b&h. it's the
    ultimate lock-in.

also, whoever came up with the name payboo needs to find alternate
    employment.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill W@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 29 13:40:37 2021
    On Aug 29, 2021, Savageduck wrote
    (in article<0001HW.26DBFED20048EA8D70000C39538F@news.giganews.com>):

On Aug 29, 2021, croy wrote
    (in article<cnenigtbmf72udhnhgd24cem1b2p4aj89g@4ax.com>):

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:56:22 -0700, Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

That is the DJI FPV drone, and I would not recommend it as a first drone for anybody. Also the FPV drone does not use a phone with the controller. All visualization is done using the goggles.

If you can afford it, my recommendation is to buy the DJI Air 2S Fly More Combo with the Smart Controller rather than the standard controller. That way you won’t have to worry about a smart phone.
    If not then the Air 2S + Fly More Combo with standard controller. A bit lower in cost would be the DJI Mini 2 Fly More Combo.

If you are able to wait a little longer the more expensive Mavic 3 is supposed to be released within the next few weeks.

You can buy from DJI direct, or from BestBuy, B&H, or Adorama. Fastest delivery would be via BestBuy or B&H.

And no sales tax with the Payboo/B&H credit card. I have saved so much money with that thing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan Browne@21:1/5 to croy on Sun Aug 29 15:31:55 2021
    On 2021-08-29 13:12, croy wrote:

Plenty of used drones out there at good prices.

Reflexes? Fly slow. Not sure? Let go of the sticks. Will stop on a
    dime.[1]

In effect these drones are on autopilot 100% of the time. They only
    move when you move the sticks out of centre.

Don't need great reflexes. Just a plan.

[1] "Racing drones" are a very different beast.

--
    "...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
    man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
    -Samuel Clemens

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill W@21:1/5 to nospam on Sun Aug 29 17:11:10 2021
    On Aug 29, 2021, nospam wrote
    (in article<290820211458013966%nospam@nospam.invalid>):

In article<0001HW.26DC0C2503160CD73097B138F@news-us.newsgroup.ninja>,
    Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

And no sales tax with the Payboo/B&H credit card. I have saved so much money
    with that thing.

the only problem is the 'cashback' can only be used at b&h. it's the
    ultimate lock-in.

No argument with that, but I have always been happy with B&H. In fact, I just ordered a used 150-600 lens from them yesterday, along with the lens adapter for my Pentax. I’m also trying to get a bargain on a used D7100 on Ebay. If it all works out, I’ll end up with the lens, adapter, and decent Nikon
    camera body for about the price of a new lens alone.

also, whoever came up with the name payboo needs to find alternate employment.

Yeah, it’s just bizarre.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05