• Phone with micro lens. Be more impressive if it were a dedicated pocket

From RichA@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 9 15:07:18 2021
    60x is ok for some things, but not for true microscopy. However, a flattish pocket microscope capable of magnifications up to 400x with moderate aberrations would be good. There are no current really good "field" microscopes available owing to the
    conventionality (objective, eyepiece) of microscope optics. There have been a lot of plans for them, but none have come to fruition. I'd pay $500 or so for a good one.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-56616569

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From newshound@21:1/5 to RichA on Fri Sep 10 12:01:53 2021
    On 09/09/2021 23:07, RichA wrote:
    60x is ok for some things, but not for true microscopy. However, a flattish pocket microscope capable of magnifications up to 400x with moderate aberrations would be good. There are no current really good "field" microscopes available owing to the
    conventionality (objective, eyepiece) of microscope optics. There have been a lot of plans for them, but none have come to fruition. I'd pay $500 or so for a good one.

I think it would be more attractive with some adjustment on lens-sensor distance, so that you could do (say) 5 to 60x The ring illuminator is
    good, though.

The way to go for affordable amateur field microscopes must be ones that bluetooth the image to a phone, thus letting you get the primary optics
    into inaccessible places. Over the years (when I was doing more field
    work) I collected a few cheap USB microscopes to use with a laptop.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RichA@21:1/5 to newshound on Fri Sep 10 19:44:17 2021
    On Friday, 10 September 2021 at 07:02:03 UTC-4, newshound wrote:
    On 09/09/2021 23:07, RichA wrote:

I think it would be more attractive with some adjustment on lens-sensor distance, so that you could do (say) 5 to 60x The ring illuminator is
    good, though.

The way to go for affordable amateur field microscopes must be ones that bluetooth the image to a phone, thus letting you get the primary optics
    into inaccessible places. Over the years (when I was doing more field
    work) I collected a few cheap USB microscopes to use with a laptop.

Just unfortunate that the last decent field microscopes were made in the 60's and 70's by Nikon and Swift.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05