• =?UTF-8?Q?Your_Cat_May_Know_Where_You_Are_Even_When_They_Can?= =?UTF-8?

From Tigger@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 15 21:44:43 2021
    <https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/your-cat-knows-where-you-are-even-when-they-cant-see-you-180979059/>

New research suggests your cat is likely using sounds to keep track of where you are, even when you’re out of sight. Domestic cats create “mental maps”
    that track where their owner is located based on the direction of certain sounds, an ability that was previously unknown in felines, according to new research published this week in the journal PLOS One.

Study author Saho Takagi, a doctoral student at Kyoto University, says she
    has
    long been interested in cats' hearing and their ability to move their ears in different directions.

"I saw a cat with only one of its ears tilted back, listening to the sound behind
    it, and felt that cats must be thinking about many things from the sound," Takagi says in an email to CNN’s Sherry Liang. "This time, I investigated whether
    they map their owner's position spatially from sounds."

The team conducted a series of experiments to find out if cats actively track their owners using cues like sound. They played recordings of human voices calling a cat’s name from different locations, in what they called “teleportation-like scenarios.” For example, a nearby speaker would announce
    “Fluffy!”, suggesting to the kitty that the owner was close, and then a speaker
    in a different room would call the same name again. The felines appeared surprised by the voice coming from an unexpected location, suggesting that domesticated cats spatially map their human companions using audio cues,
    even when they’re in the next room, reports Hannah Osborne for Newsweek.

"These results suggest that cats hold a mental representation of the unseen owner and map their owner's location from the owner's voice, showing
    evidence of socio-spatial cognition,” the researchers write in the paper. Earlier
    studies have shown that cats can tell familiar and unfamiliar human voices apart, and locate hidden objects. Therefore, "it seems plausible that cats should
    be able to mentally map others' locations based on vocalizations,” they explain.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jmcquown@21:1/5 to Tigger on Tue Nov 16 17:05:05 2021
    On 11/15/2021 11:44 PM, Tigger wrote:

<https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/your-cat-knows-where-you-are-even-when-they-cant-see-you-180979059/>

New research suggests your cat is likely using sounds to keep track of
    where
    you are, even when you’re out of sight. Domestic cats create “mental maps”
    that track where their owner is located based on the direction of certain sounds, an ability that was previously unknown in felines, according to new research published this week in the journal PLOS One.

Study author Saho Takagi, a doctoral student at Kyoto University, says
    she has
    long been interested in cats' hearing and their ability to move their
    ears in
    different directions.

"I saw a cat with only one of its ears tilted back, listening to the
    sound behind
    it, and felt that cats must be thinking about many things from the sound," Takagi says in an email to CNN’s Sherry Liang. "This time, I
    investigated whether
    they map their owner's position spatially from sounds."

The team conducted a series of experiments to find out if cats actively
    track
    their owners using cues like sound. They played recordings of human voices calling a cat’s name from different locations, in what they called “teleportation-like scenarios.” For example, a nearby speaker would announce
    “Fluffy!”, suggesting to the kitty that the owner was close, and then a speaker
    in a different room would call the same name again. The felines appeared surprised by the voice coming from an unexpected location, suggesting that domesticated cats spatially map their human companions using audio cues,
    even when they’re in the next room, reports Hannah Osborne for Newsweek.

"These results suggest that cats hold a mental representation of the unseen owner and map their owner's location from the owner's voice, showing
    evidence of socio-spatial cognition,” the researchers write in the
    paper. Earlier
    studies have shown that cats can tell familiar and unfamiliar human voices apart, and locate hidden objects. Therefore, "it seems plausible that
    cats should
    be able to mentally map others' locations based on vocalizations,” they explain.

Very cool! Not totally surprising. :)

Jill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tigger@21:1/5 to jmcquown on Tue Nov 23 23:25:29 2021
    jmcquown wrote:

New research suggests your cat is likely using sounds to keep track of
    where
    you are, even when you’re out of sight. Domestic cats create “mental maps”

Very cool!  Not totally surprising. :)

I propose a followup study, with a huge grant, to demonstrate the same
    effect using the
    sound of a pop top on a can of wet food...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jmcquown@21:1/5 to Tigger on Wed Nov 24 13:14:07 2021
    On 11/24/2021 1:25 AM, Tigger wrote:
    jmcquown wrote:

New research suggests your cat is likely using sounds to keep track
    of where
    you are, even when you’re out of sight. Domestic cats create “mental >>> maps”

Very cool!  Not totally surprising. :)

effect using the
    sound of a pop top on a can of wet food...

I second that proposal! :)

Jill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Judith Latham@21:1/5 to invalid@invalid.invalid on Thu Nov 25 20:53:11 2021
    In article <snklso$uig$1@news.mixmin.net>, Tigger
    <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    jmcquown wrote:

<https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/your-cat-knows-where-you-ar
    e-even-when-they-cant-see-you-180979059/>

New research suggests your cat is likely using sounds to keep track
    of where you are, even when you're out of sight. Domestic cats
    create "mental maps"

Very cool! Not totally surprising. :)

effect using the sound of a pop top on a can of wet food...

I second that!

Judith

--
    Judith Latham
    Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05