• Dog is choking himself to death...

From sweelish@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 7 03:30:03 2020
    Den onsdag 20 februari 2002 kl. 15:02:11 UTC+1 skrev martian dreams:
    I'm taking care of a dog who gets *extremely* hyper whenever I take him out for a walk. He's practically dragging me all over the place, madly pulling on his leash like his life depended on it. That doesn't sound so unusual... except this 50-lb dog is practically choking himself to death because he pulls so damn hard.

I've tried standing my ground (ie remain stationary) whenever he pulls, but it's still not discouraging him. He'll pull as hard as he can, as far as
    the leash lets him, until he's literally standing on his hind legs with his front paws flailing madly about in the air. One time, his 1-inch wide nylon leash snapped/tore off because of all his pulling. He does this every time, even after he's already done his business in the woods.

The worst part is, I'm pretty sure he's damaging his throat with this behavior. After our regular walks, he's *literally* coughing, wheezing, choking, and gasping. It's like he just got strangled. It's pathetic... I don't think he's even aware how much he's hurting himself. He's quite literally choking himself with the choke collar. As soon as he's back indoors, he's as docile as any dog I've seen.

I know this thread is old, but training your dog is the only long-term solution, OP.

I love my dog so much but it constantly did the things that irked me most. It would chew on things that it shouldn’t or jump up and down out of the blue.

Whenever I put on the leash, it would pull on it. Whenever it was out of the house, it would continue digging on the ground - I wish I could tell what it was looking for down there. The same goes for all the nasty urine.

All the things it did left me feeling depressed as if I failed it monumentally.

But since I discovered Brain Training for Dogs and applied the system offered, it now behaves the way a beautiful dog I always expect of 🐶

Here's a link to their site: http://hiddendogintelligence.club/

Good luck!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)