• Re: The War on Woke Is a Scam on Middle America

From sticks@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Mon May 29 16:06:24 2023
    On 5/29/2023 3:32 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
    Buckle up, team: I’m a White man from the Midwest with a story to tell about wokeness.

---progressive opinion rant snipped---

In court, a lawyer for Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida recently defined “woke” as the “general belief in systemic injustices in the country.” Ask yourself: Why would a powerful politician want to banish that belief?

Here's what he really said: “To me it means someone who believes that
    there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that
    basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law.”

Truthful reporting is not big on the left.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 29 13:32:35 2023
    Buckle up, team: I’m a White man from the Midwest with a story to tell about wokeness.

I live in an Ohio railroad town. Locals hear trains calling through the night, wait them out at crossings, and photograph them trundling along the river past the old mill downtown. But as our neighbors two counties over in East Palestine know, those cars
    don’t just carry freight or Old World charm — they also bring danger.

While we refreshed local EPA reports in the days after the Norfolk Southern derailment, I wondered who’d get blamed for it. There was no shortage of options.

Norfolk Southern skimped on maintenance, overstretched its workers, and used the profits to hike its stock price.

Ohio’s governor and the local congressman accepted thousands from the company while the statehouse dutifully killed a bipartisan rail safety bill the company lobbied against. Former president Donald Trump, who showed up after the crash to promote his
    bottled water brand, had killed an Obama-era regulation to prevent accidents like these.

But on the MAGA circuit, none of these were to blame.

Instead, as the Ohio Capital Journal’s Marilou Johanek put it, we got “opportunists exploiting East Palestine’s suffering population with politics and race-baiting.” In this telling, it wasn’t corporate or government corruption that caused the
    suffering in East Palestine. It was “wokeness.”

Fox host Tucker Carlson proclaimed that East Palestine was affected because it “is overwhelmingly White, and it’s politically conservative.” As writer Greg Sargent summarized, Carlson alleged the administration would have cared more “if the
    accident had happened in Philadelphia or Detroit — wink, wink.”

“If this train derailment happened in downtown Atlanta in the densely populated Black neighborhoods,” agreed far-right activist Charlie Kirk, “this would be the number-one news story.” The millionaire talk show host insisted that our leaders “
    hate working-class Whites,” and, in fact, there’s a whole “crusade against White people.”

Fox talking head Jesse Waters played a similar note, asking this about Michael Regan, President Biden’s Black EPA administrator: “Is this his idea of fighting environmental racism? Spilling toxic chemicals on poor White people in Ohio?”

Donald Trump Jr., for his part, denigrated Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg as “the gay guy.”

This is the “war on woke” sham in a nutshell.

Well-heeled politicians and millionaire MAGA media figures tell poor Whites to blame Black people, LGBTQ people, and vague liberal ideas for troubles any sensible person would blame on a greedy corporation and the bought-off politicians — from the GOP-
    run Ohio statehouse on up to the White House — who enabled it.

Even while lambasting President Biden, they had little to say about his bad decision to snub the railroad unions, perhaps because most Republicans — many flush with railroad cash — supported that, too. The only beneficiaries are the bad actors who
    poisoned the poor Ohio community these pundits claim to represent from their perches in New York or Washington.

They play the same game all over.

Right-wing politicians rail against “woke corporations” only to collect corporate campaign cash, push corporate tax cuts, and oppose minimum wage hikes, sick leave, and union organizing. They ban books about race and viciously attack LGBTQ kids to
    protect education while systematically under–funding schools.

A self-described “anti-woke budget” drafted by former Trump officials would cut the “woke” Environmental Protection Agency by 30 percent. What a gift to East Palestine, where the EPA is doing emergency cleanup operations.

This hateful, fact-free rhetoric is doing incredible damage.

It spreads cruel and dangerous anti-LGBTQ laws. It’s gutting classroom libraries. It’s led to absurd conspiracy theories, an emboldened and violent White supremacist fringe, and the January 6 coup attempt. It divides urban and rural communities of
    every race and color who might otherwise work together against influential people who do them wrong.

In court, a lawyer for Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida recently defined “woke” as the “general belief in systemic injustices in the country.” Ask yourself: Why would a powerful politician want to banish that belief?

Instead, the MAGA bargain for Middle America goes something like this: If we hurt other people worse, is it OK if we hurt you, too?

Sorry, but I guess this White Ohioan would rather be woke.

https://ips-dc.org/the-war-on-woke-is-a-scam-on-middle-america/

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From filmbydon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to sticks on Mon May 29 16:29:49 2023
    On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 2:08:51 PM UTC-7, sticks wrote:
    Here's what he really said: “To me it means someone who believes that there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law.”

It was the lawyer's "opinion", that his client imagined such nonsense! No "truth" was involved... There was far more truth in TB's post... MAGA is just a nest of Fascists, with con-men leaders, telling ignoramuses, that sticking with them is how to
    get a bigger slice of any misdirected kick down, away from whomever......

The Oracle of Creston

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From robert caprel@21:1/5 to sticks on Tue May 30 07:31:13 2023
    Here's what he really said: “To me it means someone who believes that there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law.”

Stick in the mud being a stickler for stupid upholds his tradition of what he does best.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From sticks@21:1/5 to robert caprel on Tue May 30 11:57:37 2023
    On 5/30/2023 9:31 AM, robert caprel wrote:

Stick in the mud being a stickler for stupid upholds his tradition of what he does best.

I suppose that simply means you don't understand any of it. It's not
    even really nuanced. It's purely deceptive.

Little bobby is far and away one of the stupidest people encountered on
    usenet. If'n I was on the left side of things, I'd wish he'd shut up.
    But since I'm on the right side of things I welcome his idiocy. He's a
    perfect representation of who the libtards are these days.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Anthony@21:1/5 to sticks on Tue May 30 13:10:43 2023
    On 5/30/2023 11:57 AM, sticks wrote:
    Buckle up, team: I’m a White man from the Midwest with a story to
    tell about wokeness.
    In court, a lawyer for Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida recently
    defined “woke” as the “general belief in systemic injustices in the >>>> country.” Ask yourself: Why would a powerful politician want to
    banish that belief?
    there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that >>> basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law.”

Stick in the mud being a stickler for stupid upholds his tradition of
    what he does best.

I suppose that simply means you don't understand any of it.  It's not
    even really nuanced.  It's purely deceptive.

Little bobby is far and away one of the stupidest people encountered on usenet.  If'n I was on the left side of things, I'd wish he'd shut up.
    But since I'm on the right side of things I welcome his idiocy.  He's a perfect representation of who the libtards are these days.

The Artful Dodger accuses some of us here of being trolls. This
    character is a real troll. He just likes to see his name in the posts. I suspect he's just a basement dweller in his parents' home living off
    their misguided love and support. It's sad, really.
    --
    (Space holder for future brilliant signature line)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George Anthony on Tue May 30 15:05:06 2023
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 11:10:46 AM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote:
    Buckle up, team: I’m a White man from the Midwest with a story to >>>> tell about wokeness.
    defined “woke” as the “general belief in systemic injustices in the
    country.” Ask yourself: Why would a powerful politician want to
    banish that belief?
    Here's what he really said: “To me it means someone who believes that >>> there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that >>> basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law.”

what he does best.

Little bobby is far and away one of the stupidest people encountered on usenet. If'n I was on the left side of things, I'd wish he'd shut up.
    But since I'm on the right side of things I welcome his idiocy. He's a perfect representation of who the libtards are these days.
    character is a real troll. He just likes to see his name in the posts. I suspect he's just a basement dweller in his parents' home living off
    --

LOL Thar' ain't nuthin' here 'ceptin' us trolls. That is screechingly obvious. I have been bragging about being a troll for over a decade. Trolling has become an important skill. We have now thousands, if not millions of professional trolls. Amateurs
    like you guys are all over the place.

In this part of the country basements are rare and we don't have a lot of attics. Garages used to be popular, but they have become less common. Unfortunately I have become an orphan.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Anthony@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Tue May 30 20:03:43 2023
    On 5/30/2023 5:05 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
    Buckle up, team: I’m a White man from the Midwest with a story to >>>>>> tell about wokeness.
    defined “woke” as the “general belief in systemic injustices in the
    country.” Ask yourself: Why would a powerful politician want to
    banish that belief?
    Here's what he really said: “To me it means someone who believes that >>>>> there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that >>>>> basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law.”

what he does best.

usenet. If'n I was on the left side of things, I'd wish he'd shut up.
    But since I'm on the right side of things I welcome his idiocy. He's a
    perfect representation of who the libtards are these days.
    character is a real troll. He just likes to see his name in the posts. I
    suspect he's just a basement dweller in his parents' home living off
    --

LOL Thar' ain't nuthin' here 'ceptin' us trolls. That is screechingly obvious. I have been bragging about being a troll for over a decade. Trolling has become an important skill. We have now thousands, if not millions of professional trolls.
    Amateurs like you guys are all over the place.

In this part of the country basements are rare and we don't have a lot of attics. Garages used to be popular, but they have become less common. Unfortunately I have become an orphan.

TB

C'mon, man. It's a metaphor. Someone of your superior intelligence
    should be able to understand that. However, there are trolls and there
    are TROLLS. The latest iteration of Little Bobbie Bruderman" is a TROLL.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George Anthony on Tue May 30 19:21:14 2023
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 6:03:47 PM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote:
    Buckle up, team: I’m a White man from the Midwest with a story to >>>>>> tell about wokeness.
    In court, a lawyer for Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida recently >>>>>> defined “woke” as the “general belief in systemic injustices in the
    country.” Ask yourself: Why would a powerful politician want to >>>>>> banish that belief?

Stick in the mud being a stickler for stupid upholds his tradition of >>>> what he does best.

Little bobby is far and away one of the stupidest people encountered on >>> usenet. If'n I was on the left side of things, I'd wish he'd shut up. >>> But since I'm on the right side of things I welcome his idiocy. He's a >>> perfect representation of who the libtards are these days.
    character is a real troll. He just likes to see his name in the posts. I >> suspect he's just a basement dweller in his parents' home living off
    --

LOL Thar' ain't nuthin' here 'ceptin' us trolls. That is screechingly obvious. I have been bragging about being a troll for over a decade. Trolling has become an important skill. We have now thousands, if not millions of professional trolls. Amateurs
    like you guys are all over the place.

TB
    --

So, you think you're some sort of superior form of troll? You rarely deviate from trolling for flames and flaming.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Wed May 31 04:50:57 2023
    Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:
    Buckle up, team: I’m a White man from the Midwest with a story to >>>>>>>> tell about wokeness.
    In court, a lawyer for Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida recently >>>>>>>> defined “woke” as the “general belief in systemic injustices in the
    country.” Ask yourself: Why would a powerful politician want to >>>>>>>> banish that belief?
    Here's what he really said: “To me it means someone who believes that >>>>>>> there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that

Stick in the mud being a stickler for stupid upholds his tradition of >>>>>> what he does best.

I suppose that simply means you don't understand any of it. It's not >>>>> even really nuanced. It's purely deceptive.

Little bobby is far and away one of the stupidest people encountered on >>>>> usenet. If'n I was on the left side of things, I'd wish he'd shut up. >>>>> But since I'm on the right side of things I welcome his idiocy. He's a >>>>> perfect representation of who the libtards are these days.
    character is a real troll. He just likes to see his name in the posts. I >>>> suspect he's just a basement dweller in his parents' home living off
    --

LOL Thar' ain't nuthin' here 'ceptin' us trolls. That is screechingly
    obvious. I have been bragging about being a troll for over a decade.
    Trolling has become an important skill. We have now thousands, if not
    millions of professional trolls. Amateurs like you guys are all over the place.

In this part of the country basements are rare and we don't have a lot
    of attics. Garages used to be popular, but they have become less
    common. Unfortunately I have become an orphan.

TB
    --

So, you think you're some sort of superior form of troll? You
    rarely deviate from trolling for flames and flaming.

TB

I am not a troll much to your regret. I post information that I find appropriate to what this newsgroup has become. Why are you siding with that idiot anyway? I suspect it’s exactly what I said about you disagreeing with anyone about anything if they don’t ascribe to your nonsensical liberal tripe.

--
    Liberals suffer from cognitive dissonance. They know their political views
    are wrong but they stick with them anyway.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George.Anthony on Wed May 31 07:46:05 2023
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 9:51:00 PM UTC-7, George.Anthony wrote:
    Technobarbarian <technob...@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 11:10:46 AM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote: >>>> On 5/30/2023 11:57 AM, sticks wrote:
    Buckle up, team: I’m a White man from the Midwest with a story to >>>>>>>> tell about wokeness.
    In court, a lawyer for Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida recently >>>>>>>> defined “woke” as the “general belief in systemic injustices in the
    country.” Ask yourself: Why would a powerful politician want to >>>>>>>> banish that belief?
    basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law.” >>>>>>>

Stick in the mud being a stickler for stupid upholds his tradition of >>>>>> what he does best.

I suppose that simply means you don't understand any of it. It's not >>>>> even really nuanced. It's purely deceptive.

usenet. If'n I was on the left side of things, I'd wish he'd shut up. >>>>> But since I'm on the right side of things I welcome his idiocy. He's a >>>>> perfect representation of who the libtards are these days.
    suspect he's just a basement dweller in his parents' home living off >>>> their misguided love and support. It's sad, really.
    --

LOL Thar' ain't nuthin' here 'ceptin' us trolls. That is screechingly >>> obvious. I have been bragging about being a troll for over a decade.
    Trolling has become an important skill. We have now thousands, if not >>> millions of professional trolls. Amateurs like you guys are all over the place.

In this part of the country basements are rare and we don't have a lot >>> of attics. Garages used to be popular, but they have become less

TB
    are TROLLS. The latest iteration of Little Bobbie Bruderman" is a TROLL. >> --

TB

I am not a troll much to your regret. I post information that I find appropriate to what this newsgroup has become. Why are you siding with that idiot anyway? I suspect it’s exactly what I said about you disagreeing with
    anyone about anything if they don’t ascribe to your nonsensical liberal tripe.

--
    Liberals suffer from cognitive dissonance. They know their political views are wrong but they stick with them anyway.

LOL, IOW, you're a pompous troll who thinks he's better than the rest of us trolls.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George.Anthony on Wed May 31 09:22:24 2023
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 11:10:46 AM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote: >>>> On 5/30/2023 11:57 AM, sticks wrote:
    basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law.” >>>>>>>

usenet. If'n I was on the left side of things, I'd wish he'd shut up. >>>>> But since I'm on the right side of things I welcome his idiocy. He's a >>>>> perfect representation of who the libtards are these days.
    suspect he's just a basement dweller in his parents' home living off >>>> their misguided love and support. It's sad, really.
    --

LOL Thar' ain't nuthin' here 'ceptin' us trolls. That is screechingly >>> obvious. I have been bragging about being a troll for over a decade.
    Trolling has become an important skill. We have now thousands, if not >>> millions of professional trolls. Amateurs like you guys are all over the place.

In this part of the country basements are rare and we don't have a lot >>> of attics. Garages used to be popular, but they have become less

TB
    are TROLLS. The latest iteration of Little Bobbie Bruderman" is a TROLL. >> --

TB

I am not a troll much to your regret. I post information that I find appropriate to what this newsgroup has become. Why are you siding with that idiot anyway? I suspect it’s exactly what I said about you disagreeing with
    anyone about anything if they don’t ascribe to your nonsensical liberal tripe.

--
    Liberals suffer from cognitive dissonance. They know their political views are wrong but they stick with them anyway.

I love the ridiculous amount of denial here. Your posts almost always contain at least one flame. Flames are a troll for more flames. One the rare occasion when you accidentally make a post without a flame it will be on a topic you have chosen
    because it's likely to draw flames. You have said it yourself. "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck............."

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Thu Jun 1 00:34:48 2023
    Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 11:10:46 AM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote: >>>>>> On 5/30/2023 11:57 AM, sticks wrote:
    Buckle up, team: I’m a White man from the Midwest with a story to >>>>>>>>>> tell about wokeness.
    In court, a lawyer for Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida recently >>>>>>>>>> defined “woke” as the “general belief in systemic injustices in the
    country.” Ask yourself: Why would a powerful politician want to >>>>>>>>>> banish that belief?
    basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law.” >>>>>>>>>

Stick in the mud being a stickler for stupid upholds his tradition of >>>>>>>> what he does best.

I suppose that simply means you don't understand any of it. It's not >>>>>>> even really nuanced. It's purely deceptive.

Little bobby is far and away one of the stupidest people encountered on >>>>>>> usenet. If'n I was on the left side of things, I'd wish he'd shut up. >>>>>>> But since I'm on the right side of things I welcome his idiocy. He's a >>>>>>> perfect representation of who the libtards are these days.
    character is a real troll. He just likes to see his name in the posts. I >>>>>> suspect he's just a basement dweller in his parents' home living off >>>>>> their misguided love and support. It's sad, really.
    --

LOL Thar' ain't nuthin' here 'ceptin' us trolls. That is screechingly >>>>> obvious. I have been bragging about being a troll for over a decade. >>>>> Trolling has become an important skill. We have now thousands, if not >>>>> millions of professional trolls. Amateurs like you guys are all over the place.

In this part of the country basements are rare and we don't have a lot >>>>> of attics. Garages used to be popular, but they have become less

TB
    should be able to understand that. However, there are trolls and there >>>> are TROLLS. The latest iteration of Little Bobbie Bruderman" is a TROLL. >>>> --

TB

I am not a troll much to your regret. I post information that I find
    appropriate to what this newsgroup has become. Why are you siding with that >> idiot anyway? I suspect it’s exactly what I said about you disagreeing with
    anyone about anything if they don’t ascribe to your nonsensical liberal
    tripe.

--
    Liberals suffer from cognitive dissonance. They know their political views >> are wrong but they stick with them anyway.

I love the ridiculous amount of denial here. Your posts almost
    always contain at least one flame. Flames are a troll for more flames.
    One the rare occasion when you accidentally make a post without a flame
    it will be on a topic you have chosen because it's likely to draw flames.
    You have said it yourself. "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck............."

TB

Please refer me to that quote.

--
    Liberals suffer from cognitive dissonance. They know their political views
    are wrong but they stick with them anyway.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05