• OT? - For The Artful Dodger

From George Anthony@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 24 18:16:07 2023
    John Mellencamp, no conservative he, sees... and sings it like it is.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/john-mellencamp-nailed-song-portland-residents-land-plenty-nothing-gets-done
    --
    (Space holder for future brilliant signature line)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George Anthony on Wed May 24 17:51:21 2023
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 4:16:10 PM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/john-mellencamp-nailed-song-portland-residents-land-plenty-nothing-gets-done
    --

eh, Just to bring you up to date the "right to rest" law died of natural causes weeks ago. I don't think anyone thought it was destined for a long life.

Oregon’s ‘right to rest’ bill is dead, House majority leader says
    by: Amanda Arden

Posted: May 2, 2023 / 04:08 PM PDT

Updated: May 3, 2023 / 05:23 PM PDT

https://www.koin.com/news/homeless/oregons-right-to-rest-bill-is-dead-house-majority-leader-says/

I do think they have spent a lot of money without getting much done, and I expect that to continue. If they allowed people to build enough affordable housing to solve the problem the price of existing housing would plunge. No politician can afford
    to let that happen.`

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bfh@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Wed May 24 23:51:05 2023
    Technobarbarian wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 5:51:23 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian
    wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 4:16:10 PM UTC-7, George Anthony
    wrote:
    John Mellencamp, no conservative he, sees... and sings it like
    it is.

--
    eh, Just to bring you up to date the "right to rest" law died of
    natural causes weeks ago. I don't think anyone thought it was
    destined for a long life.

Oregon’s ‘right to rest’ bill is dead, House majority
    leader says by: Amanda Arden

https://www.koin.com/news/homeless/oregons-right-to-rest-bill-is-dead-house-majority-leader-says/

I do think they have spent a lot of money without getting much done,
    and I expect that to continue. If they allowed people to build enough affordable housing to solve the problem the price of existing housing
    would plunge. No politician can afford to let that happen.`

TB

I have posted sets of numbers in the past to show that it's
    extremely unlikely that politicians will be able to use dollars to
    shovel their way out of this mess. If that's t
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Wed May 24 20:16:32 2023
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 5:51:23 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 4:16:10 PM UTC-7, George Anthony wrote:

--
    eh, Just to bring you up to date the "right to rest" law died of natural causes weeks ago. I don't think anyone thought it was destined for a long life.

Oregon’s ‘right to rest’ bill is dead, House majority leader says
    by: Amanda Arden

I do think they have spent a lot of money without getting much done, and I expect that to continue. If they allowed people to build enough affordable housing to solve the problem the price of existing housing would plunge. No politician can afford to
    let that happen.`

TB

I have posted sets of numbers in the past to show that it's extremely unlikely that politicians will be able to use dollars to shovel their way out of this mess. If that's the way you want to do it you will need a lot more dollars. I know we have
    people here who don't understand simple math, but I'm posting another set of numbers for my own amazement and amusement.

"Wheeler’s proposal includes a vague plan to “eliminate” street camping by encouraging campers to move into one of the city’s encampments or another homeless shelter or face some type of penalty. Wheeler said he’s working with the Multnomah
    County District Attorney’s office to create a referral system for unhoused people to avoid prosecution, but that the details have not been ironed out. On Wednesday, Wheeler did say the plan may involve offering to clear peoples’ criminal records in
    exchange for their agreement to move into an encampment or accept other services.

“We’re trying to create a non-law-enforcement approach to incentivize people into the services they need,” Wheeler said. “The goal here would be an effort to eliminate past sanctions — old warrants, old fines — in exchange for people being
    willing to participate in the kind of treatment necessary to recover their lives.”

Skyler Brocker-Knapp, a policy advisor for the mayor, said Wednesday that unhoused Portlanders will not be forced into the encampments. “It’s one option out of many,” she said.

Brocker-Knapp added that the city is close to finalizing lease agreements with two other property owners for city-run camps, and are in conversations with others interested in leasing their property.

The city does not have the funds required to purchase or operate all six planned camps. According to Wheeler, the $27 million city dollars approved by the council to bankroll the proposal will only cover the cost to open three encampments. Wheeler said
    he’s in talks with Multnomah County leaders and the governor’s office to have their governments commit funding to the proposal. So far, no officials from other government agencies have expressed public interest in fulfilling this ask.

Urban Alchemy has asked the city for $5 million to run one 150-person camp for a year. Its contract includes a staff of 60 workers.

The encampments are expected to stay open for about three years. Tyler said there will be no required move-out date for residents, but the intention is for each stay to be a temporary step toward more permanent housing. At other camps run by Urban
    Alchemy, Tyler said, people stay on average between three and nine months.

“A portion of what contributes to that is the availability of housing in the municipality,” Tyler said. “We can’t expect people to move into housing that we don’t have.”"

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/03/09/portland-oregon-homelessness-camping-ted-wheeler-encampments-city-run/

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to bfh on Thu May 25 05:21:28 2023
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 8:51:09 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
    Technobarbarian wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 5:51:23 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 4:16:10 PM UTC-7, George Anthony
    wrote:
    John Mellencamp, no conservative he, sees... and sings it like
    it is.

--
    eh, Just to bring you up to date the "right to rest" law died of
    natural causes weeks ago. I don't think anyone thought it was
    destined for a long life.

Oregon’s ‘right to rest’ bill is dead, House majority >> leader says by: Amanda Arden

I do think they have spent a lot of money without getting much done,
    and I expect that to continue. If they allowed people to build enough affordable housing to solve the problem the price of existing housing
    would plunge. No politician can afford to let that happen.`

TB

I have posted sets of numbers in the past to show that it's
    extremely unlikely that politicians will be able to use dollars to
    shovel their way out of this mess. If that's the way you want to do
    it you will need a lot more dollars. I know we have people here who
    don't understand simple math, but I'm posting another set of
    numbers for my own amazement and amusement.

"Wheeler’s proposal includes a vague plan to “eliminate†street camping by encouraging campers to move into one of the
    city’s encampments or another homeless shelter or face some type
    of penalty. Wheeler said he’s working with the Multnomah County District Attorney’s office to create a referral system for
    unhoused people to avoid prosecution, but that the details have not
    been ironed out. On Wednesday, Wheeler did say the plan may involve offering to clear peoples’ criminal records in exchange for their agreement to move into an encampment or accept other services.

“We’re trying to create a non-law-enforcement approach to incentivize people into the services they need,†Wheeler said. “The goal here would be an effort to eliminate past sanctions —
    old warrants, old fines — in exchange for people being willing to participate in the kind of treatment necessary to recover their
    lives.â€

Skyler Brocker-Knapp, a policy advisor for the mayor, said
    Wednesday that unhoused Portlanders will not be forced into the encampments. “It’s one option out of many,†she said.

Brocker-Knapp added that the city is close to finalizing lease
    agreements with two other property owners for city-run camps, and
    are in conversations with others interested in leasing their
    property.

The city does not have the funds required to purchase or operate
    all six planned camps. According to Wheeler, the $27 million city
    dollars approved by the council to bankroll the proposal will only
    cover the cost to open three encampments. Wheeler said he’s in talks with Multnomah County leaders and the governor’s office to have their governments commit funding to the proposal. So far, no officials from other government agencies have expressed public
    interest in fulfilling this ask.

Urban Alchemy has asked the city for $5 million to run one
    150-person camp for a year. Its contract includes a staff of 60
    workers.
    Is their logo a goose sitting on a mound of gold eggs? Or maybe a
    magician in a hoodie turning bullshit into Krugerrands?

It should be. I enjoy the numbers, because they are completely insane. Just the cost of the babysitters alone would pay the rent on a very nice apartment or a medium sized house for all 150 of those people. This plan requires 60 paid staff to take
    care of 150 unhoused people. If they are going to hire caretakers they should hire the homeless to take care of themselves. That way almost half of them could afford to rent their own place and buy their own meals. Any sane person should be able to look
    at the numbers and understand that this simply will not work. The mayor is working on a 3 year plan, when they need a permanent solution. At the rate they're going the situation will be even worse 3 years from now.

Unfortunately, when you look at the price of the government's idea of "affordable" housing the numbers become even more wildly inflated.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05