• Robot Alley

From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 19 13:24:28 2023
    Pretty cool. This tourist attraction is, on topic, free, for now, and it looks like it might help reduce crime in some backyards.

"At Portland’s Robot Alley, droids and Stormtroopers speak to passersby"

By Samantha Swindler | The Oregonian/OregonLive

"Before the droids arrived, Robot Alley was a troubled sector. From his backyard studio, artist Robert Fortney would hear all kinds of unpleasant dealings on the other side of his fence in North Portland, just off Skidmore Street. Occasionally he would
    find drug paraphernalia and discarded bags that had been stolen from parked cars. He wanted to intervene and bring order to the dark alley.

“It started very organically and very slowly,” Fortney said. “At first, I put a motion light out there.”

When he saw a sale on three-foot Stormtrooper action figures at Target, “A light went off. I’m like, Oh my God, that’s it.”"
    [snip]

If you go: Robot Alley is in the alley between Borthwick and Kerby avenues, just south of North Skidmore Street. The sounds and interactions are active from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. You might get wet.

https://www.oregonlive.com/living/2023/02/welcome-to-portlands-robot-alley-where-droids-and-stormtroopers-greet-passersby.html

After she has seen the photos of this my wife will have to go there. We have driven further for less.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)