• Garibaldi Oregon - another trip report

From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 14 17:43:02 2023
    We were on the coast for a long weekend, and since it's sort of the off season for everything we had time for some things we hadn't done. One of the big things on our to do list had been museums. Both the Tillamook Historical museum and the Latimer Quilt
    and Textile center are closed on the days when we're usually on the coast. I thought the museum had too much space and badly needed to remove a lot of stuff that didn't have anything to do with the area, except that they had probably inherited it from
    people who had lived in the area. They have an extensive collection of old taxidermy. Maybe a third of it was animals you might see in Oregon. None of it looked like it had been made in this century. The Latimer can be fun if you're into that sort of
    thing.

Monday we finally got around to the Garibaldi Maritime museum. Most of that was pretty standard fare, except where it focuses on Garibaldi. They were running an interesting video on the history of Garibaldi. I only watched a few minutes of it. The disc
    was on sale in the gift shop for $15. I found it on YouTube. It's the Centennial history of the port from 1910 to 2010. It looks like a pretty good overview of that whole area.

https://www.youtube.com/@JLothman08/videos

I hadn't expected it to be a good time for dock crabbing, and it wasn't. After soaking a couple of traps for 4 hours all I caught was female and a male that was about 3/4 of an inch too small to keep. I did see a guy who had caught one nice keeper.
    At least this time of year it's easy to find a place to throw your trap in.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Wed Feb 15 01:47:36 2023
    Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:

We were on the coast for a long weekend, and since it's sort of the off season for everything we had time for some things we hadn't done. One of
    the big things on our to do list had been museums. Both the Tillamook Historical museum and the Latimer Quilt and Textile center are closed on
    the days when we're usually on the coast. I thought the museum had too
    much space and badly needed to remove a lot of stuff that didn't have anything to do with the area, except that they had probably inherited it
    from people who had lived in the area. They have an extensive collection
    of old taxidermy. Maybe a third of it was animals you might see in
    Oregon. None of it looked like it had been made in this century. The
    Latimer can be fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Monday we finally got around to the Garibaldi Maritime museum. Most of
    that was pretty standard fare, except where it focuses on Garibaldi. They were running an interesting video on the history of Garibaldi. I only
    watched a few minutes of it. The disc was on sale in the gift shop for
    $15. I found it on YouTube.

C’mon, man. All that money you saved on your electric bill and you can’t spring for a lousy $15.

It's the Centennial history of the port from 1910 to 2010. It looks like a pretty good overview of that whole area.

I hadn't expected it to be a good time for dock crabbing, and it wasn't. After soaking a couple of traps for 4 hours all I caught was
    female and a male that was about 3/4 of an inch too small to keep. I did
    see a guy who had caught one nice keeper. At least this time of year it's easy to find a place to throw your trap in.

TB

--
    “If you love me I will always be in your heart. If you hate me I will
    always be in your mind.” - Donald ‘William Shakespeare’ Trump

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George.Anthony on Tue Feb 14 18:33:36 2023
    On Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 5:47:38 PM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote:

C’mon, man. All that money you saved on your electric bill and you can’t spring for a lousy $15.

Now there's an odd coincidence for you. My Dad had a colorful name for this sort of attitude about money. He called it "nigger rich".

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Wed Feb 15 14:54:07 2023

C’mon, man. All that money you saved on your electric bill and you can’t >> spring for a lousy $15.

Now there's an odd coincidence for you. My Dad had a colorful name
    for this sort of attitude about money. He called it "nigger rich".

TB

Any port in a storm, eh? I hope that made you “feel” good.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George.Anthony on Wed Feb 15 07:44:05 2023
    On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:54:10 AM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote:
    Technobarbarian <technob...@gmail.com> wrote:

C’mon, man. All that money you saved on your electric bill and you can’t
    spring for a lousy $15.

TB

--
    “If you love me I will always be in your heart. If you hate me I will always be in your mind.” - Donald ‘William Shakespeare’ Trump

Same back at you. You asked for that one. And since you cannot be offended unless you choose to be offended I figured it would be completely harmless. It is historically accurate. My father also referred to Brazil nuts as "nigger toes". He stopped
    using those terms in later years and did not consider himself a racist. We used to tease him with his similarities to Archie Bunker. I think his lingering racism was much milder than Archie's. He had a lot of respect for his Black nanny, who lived to be
    over 100 years old. The same cannot be said for her children, who didn't turn out so well.

Who knows? Maybe you'll think twice before you post your dipshit dumb trolls in an on topic thread. LOL Yeah right, like there's some chance the idiot will understand what I'm saying.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dm_callier@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Wed Feb 15 10:00:24 2023
    On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 7:44:06 AM UTC-8, Technobarbarian wrote:

spring for a lousy $15.

TB

--
    “If you love me I will always be in your heart. If you hate me I will always be in your mind.” - Donald ‘William Shakespeare’ Trump
    Same back at you. You asked for that one. And since you cannot be offended unless you choose to be offended I figured it would be completely harmless. It is historically accurate. My father also referred to Brazil nuts as "nigger toes". He stopped
    using those terms in later years and did not consider himself a racist. We used to tease him with his similarities to Archie Bunker. I think his lingering racism was much milder than Archie's. He had a lot of respect for his Black nanny, who lived to be
    over 100 years old. The same cannot be said for her children, who didn't turn out so well.

Who knows? Maybe you'll think twice before you post your dipshit dumb trolls in an on topic thread. LOL Yeah right, like there's some chance the idiot will understand what I'm saying.

TB
    Hope springs eternal, but expectations are soon dashed...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Wed Feb 15 10:02:17 2023
    On Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 5:43:04 PM UTC-8, Technobarbarian wrote:
    We were on the coast for a long weekend, and since it's sort of the off season for everything we had time for some things we hadn't done. One of the big things on our to do list had been museums. Both the Tillamook Historical museum and the Latimer
    Quilt and Textile center are closed on the days when we're usually on the coast. I thought the museum had too much space and badly needed to remove a lot of stuff that didn't have anything to do with the area, except that they had probably inherited it
    from people who had lived in the area. They have an extensive collection of old taxidermy. Maybe a third of it was animals you might see in Oregon. None of it looked like it had been made in this century. The Latimer can be fun if you're into that sort
    of thing.

Monday we finally got around to the Garibaldi Maritime museum. Most of that was pretty standard fare, except where it focuses on Garibaldi. They were running an interesting video on the history of Garibaldi. I only watched a few minutes of it. The disc
    was on sale in the gift shop for $15. I found it on YouTube. It's the Centennial history of the port from 1910 to 2010. It looks like a pretty good overview of that whole area.

I hadn't expected it to be a good time for dock crabbing, and it wasn't. After soaking a couple of traps for 4 hours all I caught was female and a male that was about 3/4 of an inch too small to keep. I did see a guy who had caught one nice keeper. At
    least this time of year it's easy to find a place to throw your trap in.

TB

On of the other places we visited deserves special mention. That was the Kilchis Point Reserve. It was notable for a number of reasons. For many years it had been part of the home of the KIlchis Indians and Chief Kilchis. All of the museums
    mentioned Chief Kilchis and the hereditary chief. Chief Kilchis was someone who had earned the title. Tribes frequently had more than one chief. Chief Kilchis was noted as someone who was good at settling disputes and being friendly and able to get along
    with the settlers. In the end it helped him some. They lost most of their land, but his tribe and some of the Nehalem tribes were not herded to reservations. Except for two families most of the Native Americans from the Tillamook area ended up on the
    Siletz reservation. The other two exceptions ended up on the Grand Ronde reservation.

This a relatively flat area and they have easy trails. The loop we walked had pavers and several opportunities to make donations, either in hard currency or with plastic. LIke many disturbed areas this area is dominated by the Himalayan blackberries,
    which probably were introduced to the Willamette valley some time in the 1800s and quickly spread from there. The nicest thing about the reserve is that parking is free and there's a volunteer living right next to the parking lot. The volunteer has a
    very nice trailer with two porches and several slides.

https://www.tcpm.org/kilchis-point-reserve.html

PEOPLE OF THE NEKALIM COUNTRY

https://www.oregoncoastmagazine.com/2020/01/16/people-of-the-nekalim-country/

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Thu Feb 16 02:11:38 2023
    On Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 5:47:38 PM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote: >>>
    spring for a lousy $15.

TB

--

Same back at you. You asked for that one. And since you cannot be offended unless you choose to be offended I figured it would be
    completely harmless. It is historically accurate. My father also referred
    to Brazil nuts as "nigger toes". He stopped using those terms in later
    years and did not consider himself a racist. We used to tease him with
    his similarities to Archie Bunker. I think his lingering racism was much milder than Archie's. He had a lot of respect for his Black nanny, who
    lived to be over 100 years old. The same cannot be said for her children,
    who didn't turn out so well.

Who knows? Maybe you'll think twice before you post your dipshit
    dumb trolls in an on topic thread. LOL Yeah right, like there's some
    chance the idiot will understand what I'm saying.

TB

You don’t offend me. I don’t choose to be offended by assholes. And I don’t
    give a rat’s ass about your relatives’ racist terms. However, it appears the nut doesn’t fall far from the tree.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George.Anthony on Thu Feb 16 07:58:00 2023
    On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:11:42 PM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote:
    On Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 5:47:38 PM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote: >>>
    spring for a lousy $15.

TB

--
    “If you love me I will always be in your heart. If you hate me I will >> always be in your mind.” - Donald ‘William Shakespeare’ Trump

Same back at you. You asked for that one. And since you cannot be
    offended unless you choose to be offended I figured it would be
    completely harmless. It is historically accurate. My father also referred to Brazil nuts as "nigger toes". He stopped using those terms in later years and did not consider himself a racist. We used to tease him with
    his similarities to Archie Bunker. I think his lingering racism was much milder than Archie's. He had a lot of respect for his Black nanny, who lived to be over 100 years old. The same cannot be said for her children, who didn't turn out so well.

dumb trolls in an on topic thread. LOL Yeah right, like there's some chance the idiot will understand what I'm saying.

TB

give a rat’s ass about your relatives’ racist terms. However, it appears the nut doesn’t fall far from the tree.
    --

It's a real shame that there are no mirrors where you live. You're the racist who told me that "rich White guys" like me are responsible for the health problems of Black people.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Thu Feb 16 22:55:50 2023
    On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:11:42 PM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 6:54:10 AM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote: >>>> Technobarbarian <technob...@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 5:47:38 PM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote: >>>>>
    spring for a lousy $15.

TB

--
    “If you love me I will always be in your heart. If you hate me I will >>>> always be in your mind.” - Donald ‘William Shakespeare’ Trump

Same back at you. You asked for that one. And since you cannot be
    offended unless you choose to be offended I figured it would be
    completely harmless. It is historically accurate. My father also referred >>> to Brazil nuts as "nigger toes". He stopped using those terms in later
    years and did not consider himself a racist. We used to tease him with
    his similarities to Archie Bunker. I think his lingering racism was much >>> milder than Archie's. He had a lot of respect for his Black nanny, who
    lived to be over 100 years old. The same cannot be said for her children, >>> who didn't turn out so well.

dumb trolls in an on topic thread. LOL Yeah right, like there's some
    chance the idiot will understand what I'm saying.

TB

give a rat’s ass about your relatives’ racist terms. However, it appears >> the nut doesn’t fall far from the tree.
    --

It's a real shame that there are no mirrors where you live. You're
    the racist who told me that "rich White guys" like me are responsible for
    the health problems of Black people.

TB

This will be the second time I have asked you for supporting documentation
    of that claim.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05