• OT? - This Time it Really is Oregon

From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 20 19:08:59 2023
    If you can believe it, liberals have gotten even dumber since 2020.
    Considering where they started that is quite the accomplishment.

Yep, trouble in The Garden of Oregon. Idiot liberals either don't
    consider potential consequences or they don't care as long it gets them
    votes.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/oregon-opioid-deaths-increase-13x-drug-decriminalization-law-something-different

Extensive list of Biden's accomplishments. Note, I have updated the list
    with the most current data:

---------
    If you put a potato in a microwave oven and press the pizza button, it
    still comes out a potato. Works the same with choosing your gender.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George.Anthony on Tue Nov 21 07:17:56 2023
    On Monday, November 20, 2023 at 5:08:55 PM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote:
    If you can believe it, liberals have gotten even dumber since 2020. Considering where they started that is quite the accomplishment.

consider potential consequences or they don't care as long it gets them votes.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/oregon-opioid-deaths-increase-13x-drug-decriminalization-law-something-different

Extensive list of Biden's accomplishments. Note, I have updated the list with the most current data:

Yep, people die here and drugs are terrible. The number of people who died from opioid overdoses here is a bit less than the number of people killed by alcohol every year. It's only a fraction of the people killed by tobacco here every year. In
    2021 more than 2,500 people died here due to tobacco use.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/oregon/or.htm

I expect that there will be some changes to the law here. I don't expect this to have any effect on the use of drugs. It will probably have the cosmetic effect of making the problem less visible.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Tue Nov 21 18:16:59 2023
    On 11/21/2023 9:17 AM, Technobarbarian wrote:

consider potential consequences or they don't care as long it gets them
    votes.

Yep, people die here and drugs are terrible. The number of people who died from opioid overdoses here is a bit less than the number of people killed by alcohol every year. It's only a fraction of the people killed by tobacco here every year.
    In 2021 more than 2,500 people died here due to tobacco use.

I expect that there will be some changes to the law here. I don't expect this to have any effect on the use of drugs.

Not as long as it's legal.

It will probably have the cosmetic effect of making the problem less
    visible.

How, will they only do drugs inside their makeshift shelters where the
    drug usage will be out of sight?

TB

You like to state statistics but I'd like to see your sources. Anyway,
    is it your learned opinion that as long as people are dying from alcohol poisoning and smoking, it's okay to have others dying from drug
    overdoses? You're just trying to put lipstick on the old porcine critter.

----------

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George.Anthony on Tue Nov 21 19:00:35 2023
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2023 at 4:16:53 PM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote:

consider potential consequences or they don't care as long it gets them >> votes.

Extensive list of Biden's accomplishments. Note, I have updated the list >> with the most current data:

Yep, people die here and drugs are terrible. The number of people who died from opioid overdoses here is a bit less than the number of people killed by alcohol every year. It's only a fraction of the people killed by tobacco here every year. In 2021
    more than 2,500 people died here due to tobacco use.

I expect that there will be some changes to the law here. I don't expect this to have any effect on the use of drugs.
    It will probably have the cosmetic effect of making the problem less visible.

TB

is it your learned opinion that as long as people are dying from alcohol poisoning and smoking, it's okay to have others dying from drug

It's my not so humble opinion that we have never able to stop any of those people from killing themselves, regardless of whatever legislation we're enforcing this year. When you get right down to it we're just trying to find the cheapest solutions
    to all of these problems. If you look at the proposed changes to our current law they're trying to force people into treatment without significantly increasing the incarceration rate or spending on recovery services. There are no changes to our alcohol
    and tobacco laws on the table here at this time. No one seems to be too concerned with those deaths.

You haven't seen downtown Portland lately. We have obvious open air drug markets--again. They have never eliminated drug dealing here, but it has been much less obvious for a long time. The plan is to make those people return to more subtle marketing
    techniques.

I've had friends and family die due to alcohol and tobacco, without being able to do anything about. So maybe I've gotten used to the deaths. I don't carry Narcan and don't plan to. If I saw someone who had overdosed I would walk the other way.
    What about you? Do you care about those people? Do you like the idea of being a hero?

"SC responders: Overdose patients become ‘angry’ when given Narcan Firefighters who have just been cleared to give naloxone report combative patients"

https://www.ems1.com/opioids/articles/sc-responders-overdose-patients-become-angry-when-given-narcan-5sHd1VJBNzj2QU1a/

"Factors associated with withdrawal symptoms and anger among people resuscitated from an opioid overdose by take-home naloxone: Exploratory mixed methods analysis"

"A multivariate logistic regression found that people who had overdosed were significantly more likely to display anger if the person resuscitating them criticized, berated or chastised them during resuscitation (adjusted OR = 27 [95% CI = 4.0–295]).
    In contrast, they were significantly less likely to display anger if the person resuscitating them communicated positively with them (OR = 0.10 [95% CI = 0.01–0.78]). Both positive and negative communication styles were independently associated with
    anger, and communication was associated with 59% of the variance in anger. There was no evidence that people who displayed withdrawal symptoms were more likely to display anger than those not displaying withdrawal symptoms, and neither displaying
    withdrawal symptoms nor displaying anger were associated with using more drugs after resuscitation."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S074054722030355X

The people who are "saved" are frequently angry because, all of a sudden, they're not high any more and they paid good money for that high.

Ultimately the main problem is that the vast majority of these people do not die quickly and they are expensive to deal with.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Wed Nov 22 11:48:26 2023
    On 11/21/2023 9:00 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
    On Monday, November 20, 2023 at 5:08:55 PM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote: >>>> If you can believe it, liberals have gotten even dumber since 2020.

consider potential consequences or they don't care as long it gets them >>>> votes.

Extensive list of Biden's accomplishments. Note, I have updated the list >>>> with the most current data:

Yep, people die here and drugs are terrible. The number of people who died from opioid overdoses here is a bit less than the number of people killed by alcohol every year. It's only a fraction of the people killed by tobacco here every year. In 2021
    more than 2,500 people died here due to tobacco use.

visible.

TB

is it your learned opinion that as long as people are dying from alcohol
    poisoning and smoking, it's okay to have others dying from drug

It's my not so humble opinion that we have never able to stop any of those people from killing themselves, regardless of whatever legislation we're enforcing this year. When you get right down to it we're just trying to find the cheapest
    solutions to all of these problems. If you look at the proposed changes to our current law they're trying to force people into treatment without significantly increasing the incarceration rate or spending on recovery services. There are no changes to our
    alcohol and tobacco laws on the table here at this time. No one seems to be too concerned with those deaths.

You haven't seen downtown Portland lately. We have obvious open air drug markets--again. They have never eliminated drug dealing here, but it has been much less obvious for a long time. The plan is to make those people return to more subtle
    marketing techniques.

I've had friends and family die due to alcohol and tobacco, without being able to do anything about. So maybe I've gotten used to the deaths. I don't carry Narcan and don't plan to. If I saw someone who had overdosed I would walk the other way.
    What about you? Do you care about those people? Do you like the idea of being a hero?

"SC responders: Overdose patients become ‘angry’ when given Narcan Firefighters who have just been cleared to give naloxone report combative patients"

https://www.ems1.com/opioids/articles/sc-responders-overdose-patients-become-angry-when-given-narcan-5sHd1VJBNzj2QU1a/

"Factors associated with withdrawal symptoms and anger among people resuscitated from an opioid overdose by take-home naloxone: Exploratory mixed methods analysis"

"A multivariate logistic regression found that people who had overdosed were significantly more likely to display anger if the person resuscitating them criticized, berated or chastised them during resuscitation (adjusted OR = 27 [95% CI = 4.0–295]).
    In contrast, they were significantly less likely to display anger if the person resuscitating them communicated positively with them (OR = 0.10 [95% CI = 0.01–0.78]). Both positive and negative communication styles were independently associated with
    anger, and communication was associated with 59% of the variance in anger. There was no evidence that people who displayed withdrawal symptoms were more likely to display anger than those not displaying withdrawal symptoms, and neither displaying
    withdrawal symptoms nor displaying anger were associated with using more drugs after resuscitation."

The people who are "saved" are frequently angry because, all of a sudden, they're not high any more and they paid good money for that high.

Ultimately the main problem is that the vast majority of these people do not die quickly and they are expensive to deal with.

TB

How many of these drug overdoses are from natives of The Garden of
    Oregon vs interlopers? Legalizing the drugs attracts the dregs of
    society. No imported druggies equates to less expense to deal with them.
    Do you people ever connect cause with effect?
    --
    ---------

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George.Anthony on Wed Nov 22 12:50:09 2023
    On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 9:48:29 AM UTC-8, George.Anthony wrote:
    On 11/21/2023 9:00 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
    If you can believe it, liberals have gotten even dumber since 2020. >>>> Considering where they started that is quite the accomplishment.

consider potential consequences or they don't care as long it gets them >>>> votes.

Yep, people die here and drugs are terrible. The number of people who died from opioid overdoses here is a bit less than the number of people killed by alcohol every year. It's only a fraction of the people killed by tobacco here every year. In
    2021 more than 2,500 people died here due to tobacco use.

visible.

TB

is it your learned opinion that as long as people are dying from alcohol >> poisoning and smoking, it's okay to have others dying from drug
    overdoses? You're just trying to put lipstick on the old porcine critter. >>

It's my not so humble opinion that we have never able to stop any of those people from killing themselves, regardless of whatever legislation we're enforcing this year. When you get right down to it we're just trying to find the cheapest solutions to
    all of these problems. If you look at the proposed changes to our current law they're trying to force people into treatment without significantly increasing the incarceration rate or spending on recovery services. There are no changes to our alcohol and
    tobacco laws on the table here at this time. No one seems to be too concerned with those deaths.

You haven't seen downtown Portland lately. We have obvious open air drug markets--again. They have never eliminated drug dealing here, but it has been much less obvious for a long time. The plan is to make those people return to more subtle marketing
    techniques.

I've had friends and family die due to alcohol and tobacco, without being able to do anything about. So maybe I've gotten used to the deaths. I don't carry Narcan and don't plan to. If I saw someone who had overdosed I would walk the other way. What
    about you? Do you care about those people? Do you like the idea of being a hero?

"A multivariate logistic regression found that people who had overdosed were significantly more likely to display anger if the person resuscitating them criticized, berated or chastised them during resuscitation (adjusted OR = 27 [95% CI = 4.0–295])
    . In contrast, they were significantly less likely to display anger if the person resuscitating them communicated positively with them (OR = 0.10 [95% CI = 0.01–0.78]). Both positive and negative communication styles were independently associated with

TB

How many of these drug overdoses are from natives of The Garden of
    Oregon vs interlopers? Legalizing the drugs attracts the dregs of
    society. No imported druggies equates to less expense to deal with them.
    Do you people ever connect cause with effect?
    --

Do you ever stop shucking and jiving? If you really care about this issue maybe you have some answers, instead of questions? I have already seen and heard more than enough of this issue--up close and personal. Seriously. I mean face to face more
    times than I can count. At this point, your interest in answers far exceeds mine. There is no place that's free of problems. I choose not to roll around in them. I don't live near any of Portland's long time famously hot spots. Like most Oregonians about
    the only time I actually see these problems is when I turn on my TV. As I said before, we're just trying to find the cheapest solutions to our many drug problems. The only real disagreement is on the cheapest ways to do this. People here understand cause
    and effect. They also understand basic math much better than you. Whatever you do there are no magic answers. One way or another everyone gets stuck with the cost of these problems. Everywhere.

One of the things to remember about Portland is that even though it's 75 miles from the coast this is an actual port city, with ships coming and going in this area all of the time. Until........I dunno, maybe some time in the 1960's, or later, this
    was a wide open town. Portland was openly and and famously corrupt. When you get right down to it not much has changed, except that the city government *might* not be as corrupt as it used to be. They obviously have not gotten any better at governing a
    city, but they're trying. The plan is to switch to a more professional form of government--finally--instead of allowing elected politicians to run the city. Who knew that this was a terrible way to run a city in a democracy? lol This will be one of the
    last major cities to do this, if not *the* last. They have already done this in the small city where I live and in many, many other places.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05