• The Post awful steps up its game, sort of, mostly

From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 20 11:39:51 2023
    This is another missing package story, with a twist. I recently ordered a new crab trap though eBay. It's a cheap trap and the seller is using a cheap shipping service. Yesterday I got a text message from the post awful. They had a package for me
    that was sitting in a warehouse somewhere because it had an incomplete address. I responded to the text with my full address. The response I got was just another copy of the first message. They also suggested that I go to a specific page on their website.
    If I had a tracking number this would have been one and done. I didn't. What I found was the post office offering a new free service they call Informed Delivery. I signed up for that just in case. I don't know if that helped but, this morning I got an
    email from the post office with a tracking number. My new trap supposed to be here tomorrow.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From dm_callier@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Fri Oct 20 12:07:20 2023
    On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 11:39:53 AM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:
    This is another missing package story, with a twist. I recently ordered a new crab trap though eBay. It's a cheap trap and the seller is using a cheap shipping service. Yesterday I got a text message from the post awful. They had a package for me that
    was sitting in a warehouse somewhere because it had an incomplete address. I responded to the text with my full address. The response I got was just another copy of the first message. They also suggested that I go to a specific page on their website. If
    I had a tracking number this would have been one and done. I didn't. What I found was the post office offering a new free service they call Informed Delivery. I signed up for that just in case. I don't know if that helped but, this morning I got an email
    from the post office with a tracking number. My new trap supposed to be here tomorrow.

TB
    Are you sumkinna lackwit...Everyone knows you need to use Informed Delivery to anticipate your daily expected inventory of circulars, beggin' letters and packages. Sheesh...

Enjoy the day,
    dmc

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bfh@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Fri Oct 20 16:53:54 2023
    Technobarbarian wrote:

This is another missing package story, with a twist. I recently
    ordered a new crab trap though eBay. It's a cheap trap and the
    seller is using a cheap shipping service. Yesterday I got a text
    message from the post awful. They had a package for me that was
    sitting in a warehouse somewhere because it had an incomplete
    address. I responded to the text with my full address. The response
    I got was just another copy of the first message. They also
    suggested that I go to a specific page on their website. If I had a
    tracking number this would have been one and done. I didn't. What I
    found was the post office offering a new free service they call
    Informed Delivery. I signed up for that just in case. I don't know
    if that helped but, this morning I got an email from the post
    office with a tracking number. My new trap supposed to be here
    tomorrow.

Hey. Just because you just discovered informed delivery doesn't make
    it "new". I've been using it for at least 2 years. And that makes me
    wonder just how "new" your trap may be. Probably gonna get it and find
    little crab footprints all over it.

--
    bill
    Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 20 13:47:32 2023
    On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 12:07:22 PM UTC-7, dm_callier wrote:
    On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 11:39:53 AM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:
    This is another missing package story, with a twist. I recently ordered a new crab trap though eBay. It's a cheap trap and the seller is using a cheap shipping service. Yesterday I got a text message from the post awful. They had a package for me
    that was sitting in a warehouse somewhere because it had an incomplete address. I responded to the text with my full address. The response I got was just another copy of the first message. They also suggested that I go to a specific page on their website.
    If I had a tracking number this would have been one and done. I didn't. What I found was the post office offering a new free service they call Informed Delivery. I signed up for that just in case. I don't know if that helped but, this morning I got an
    email from the post office with a tracking number. My new trap supposed to be here tomorrow.

TB
    Are you sumkinna lackwit...Everyone knows you need to use Informed Delivery to anticipate your daily expected inventory of circulars, beggin' letters and packages. Sheesh...

Enjoy the day,
    dmc

Especially since the pandemic, I sort of live pleasantly under a rock. But, I am sharp enough that the first thing I did was turn off the daily email. I like having the service, but I know where to find them when I want them. I created one small
    exception for delivery date changes, and I'll see how that works out. I actually manage to keep the junk mail down to a small volume. I mostly get the stuff that goes in every mailbox, credit card offers and mail some poor fool hand addressed for their
    church.

Just about everything happens online or I do it myself, including haircuts. I can go to the coast and stay in a campground or hotel with little or no human interaction. If I don't have it with me my food can just be somewhere where it's handy to
    pickup, and the financial transaction has already been taken care of. About the only time I buy groceries face to face is when I want something from Winco or an ethnic market. I sometimes go in Kroger for old fashioned shopping, but I don't have to.

Where was I? OH, "lackwit". That's entirely possible. On the positive side, I do have an excellent party on my schedule, and more crabs. Who knows? Maybe some more razor clams soon. If nothing else I found another package of razor clams from my
    sister, in my freezer, after I thought I had eaten all of them. I lead such a rough life. lol

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to bfh on Fri Oct 20 15:30:07 2023
    On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 1:53:59 PM UTC-7, bfh wrote:
    Technobarbarian wrote:

suggested that I go to a specific page on their website. If I had a tracking number this would have been one and done. I didn't. What I
    tomorrow.
    wonder just how "new" your trap may be. Probably gonna get it and find little crab footprints all over it.

--
    bill
    Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.

"New" is all relative. Considering how long I've had a close personal relationship with the post awful, 2 years seems very new. Growing up it was just a short walk to the post office, and we had a box.Treasure came in the mail. And it still does.

I figure there must be a few simple machines, and a lot of people, in some factory in China that have been turning out thousands of these crabs traps for decades. I see a lot of different crab traps on the docks. I haven't seen this one before.
    Even if it has a few footprints it's still new to me.

It's possible I might be stepping up my game. We'll see. One of the basic problems for a cheapskate like me is that at the same time the crabs are filling out nicely, the rainy season is starting. Fresh water tends to push the crabs out of the
    bays. A possible solution to this problem is crabbing on the beaches. It takes more work because you have to pull your traps more often, but I think these small castable traps will be an improvement on the standard little folding trap you usually see. I
    have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/AirFly-Foldable-Castable-Crab-Rectangle/dp/B08CZH5VTT/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=folding+crab+trap&qid=1697839839&sr=8-8

I don't use it on the docks because it's too much work compared to a trap you can let soak for hours. I see a lot of people using them. Sometimes they are even relatively effective.

Crab traps are wonderfully bizarre because of the amazing variety.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to bfh on Sat Oct 21 14:11:37 2023
    bfh <redydog@rye.net> wrote:
    Technobarbarian wrote:

suggested that I go to a specific page on their website. If I had a
    tracking number this would have been one and done. I didn't. What I
    tomorrow.

wonder just how "new" your trap may be. Probably gonna get it and find
    little crab footprints all over it.

I have that informed delivery service. Lets me know if I should make the
    trek to my mailbox just to pick up trash can fodder. It doesn’t always show packages though.

--
    One out of three Biden voters is just as clueless as the other two.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05