• New form of slavery

From Hank@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 29 02:08:57 2023
    I think I'll run down to the border and pick me up a couple of the illegals. I've got some yard work that needs done, my wife could use a house cleaner and cook. Probably get them cheap. Maybe just Room and board and a cell phone, if they don't have one
    already. Read my lips... They are NOT slaves.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to Hank on Fri Sep 29 09:12:25 2023
    On Friday, September 29, 2023 at 2:08:59 AM UTC-7, Hank wrote:
    I think I'll run down to the border and pick me up a couple of the illegals. I've got some yard work that needs done, my wife could use a house cleaner and cook. Probably get them cheap. Maybe just Room and board and a cell phone, if they don't have
    one already. Read my lips... They are NOT slaves.

There is nothing new here. This has going on as long as you have been alive. I am mildly curious. Do you have a point here or are you just letting us know that you're still alive--again?

Back in the early 60s my grandparents showed my siblings and I how those folks lived. In some ways slaves have it better, and in some ways they were treated worse. Slaves are valuable property. Those folks were easily disposable. My grandparents
    took us to live on a farm. We were harvesting green beans by hand. IIRC we were paid 3 cents a pound. That was the standard rate for a long time. We lived in what had been a tool shed. It had been divided into 3 rooms with plywood partitions that didn't
    go all the way to the roof. The rooms had wood stoves and a steel bed frame with straw on it. One night the couple next door got into a physical fight. No one called the police. They called the owner. That couple had to leave immediately. Someone quickly
    took their place and they were probably picking beans somewhere else the next morning.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From robert caprel@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Fri Sep 29 10:17:58 2023
    On Friday, September 29, 2023 at 9:12:28 AM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:
    I think I'll run down to the border and pick me up a couple of the illegals. I've got some yard work that needs done, my wife could use a house cleaner and cook. Probably get them cheap. Maybe just Room and board and a cell phone, if they don't have
    There is nothing new here. This has going on as long as you have been alive. I am mildly curious. Do you have a point here or are you just letting us know that you're still alive--again?

Back in the early 60s my grandparents showed my siblings and I how those folks lived. In some ways slaves have it better, and in some ways they were treated worse. Slaves are valuable property. Those folks were easily disposable. My grandparents took
    us to live on a farm. We were harvesting green beans by hand. IIRC we were paid 3 cents a pound. That was the standard rate for a long time. We lived in what had been a tool shed. It had been divided into 3 rooms with plywood partitions that didn't go
    all the way to the roof. The rooms had wood stoves and a steel bed frame with straw on it. One night the couple next door got into a physical fight. No one called the police. They called the owner. That couple had to leave immediately. Someone quickly
    took their place and they were probably picking beans somewhere else the next morning.

TB

I think Hank just came out of hibernation; somebody ought to let him know its springtime when you wake up!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to Hank on Fri Sep 29 12:14:23 2023

One of the tricks to using a search engine is knowing what you are looking for in the first place. This post reminded me of a movie I had seen, in which Marlon Brando talks about the difference between slaves and workers--and more importantly,
    what to do about it from the colonial point of view. It's a fun introduction to the economics of slavery and only takes a few minutes. I recommend the whole movie for anyone who is interested in this subject.

BURN (1969) scene1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d500faQjdP0

"Burn! (original title: Queimada) is a 1969 historical war drama film directed by Gillo Pontecorvo. Set in the mid-19th century, the film stars Marlon Brando as a British agent provocateur sent to overthrow a Portuguese colony in the Caribbean by
    manipulating a slave revolt to serve the interests of the sugar trade, and the complications that arise from the formation of a subsequent puppet state.

The fictional plot is partly based on the activities of American filibuster William Walker, after whom the main character is named, and his 1855 invasion of Nicaragua. Screenwriters Franco Solinas and Giorgio Arlorio also drew on the experiences of
    intelligence agent Edward Lansdale, who served the United States government in the Philippines and Indochina in the 1950s through the 60s, and the Cuban Revolution.

The film is an Italian and French co-production by Alberto Grimaldi,[1] distributed internationally by United Artists. It features a musical score composed by Ennio Morricone."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn!

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05