• Klickitat Washington

From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 25 11:48:49 2023
    My main reason for going to Klickitat WA was that I had never been there before. You hear that word frequently on this side of the river, but that's mostly because of the county and not the town. It also sounded like it might be a good place to collect a
    few unhoused rocks.

I found out that the reason I had never been there is that there is really almost nothing there. The town is mostly there because of what used to be there.There used to be a sawmill, and a railroad, and a dry ice plant, and a mineral springs. Except for
    the springs that's all gone. What they left behind is a lot of small houses on small lots. Many of them are right on the highway. They have a big school house, along with the usual assortment of churches, bars, and other small businesses. It looked like
    most of the traffic was motorcyclists who were drawn to a highway with a lot of curves and very little traffic. I had to look it up on the internet to figure out why the town is there. "It's mostly a bedroom community." A third of the population is
    children. That percentage drops steeply after they turn 18. The median age is reported to be 30 there. The town's main draw is that they have a lot of relatively inexpensive houses left behind by the mill workers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klickitat,_Washington

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klickitat_Mineral_Springs

It's a pretty area and we enjoyed our visit, but we didn't find a lot of rock that looked like it needed a home. Washington state was probably only 2 or 3 pounds lighter when we left.

When we get somewhere near it the Saint John's Monastery Bakery is an irresistible draw for us. It looks like they're doing well. That place is always busy. It looks like they've completed 2 of their 3 building goals. If I read their sign correctly it
    looks like they want to expand into a full service restaurant. It should do well. They're already selling a lot of food and other stuff. I picked up a big tub of Greek "chili" from their freezer, along with our usual assortment of coffee and pastry and
    stuff.

https://stjohnmonastery.org/

After scouting out some other rivers on the Oregon side of the Columbia river I finally figured out that one of the best places to find pretty rocks near me is the Columbia river itself. The trick is finding places where you can easily get to the river
    and yet don't draw huge numbers of visitors. We found a nice day use area that, for the Columbia gorge, doesn't get a lot of traffic. By the time we left we had been the only people there for over a half hour. There had only been one other couple there
    when we arrived. Several families came and went while we were there. By comparison, the much bigger parking lot at the Multnomah falls just a little further down the freeway was absolutely packed.

We found some agates and some jade and other pretty rocks, but my best find was a nice chunk of carnelian agate that has been badly beat up by the river. It was the first time I found a piece of carnelian that was just out wandering around without any
    supervision. My specimen is at least 3 times bigger than what this guy has.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1181934113/jelly-deep-red-tumbled-oregon-carnelian

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From filmbydon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Tue Jul 25 20:38:45 2023
    On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 11:48:52 AM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:
    My main reason for going to Klickitat WA was that I had never been there before. You hear that word frequently on this side of the river, but that's mostly because of the county and not the town. It also sounded like it might be a good place to collect
    a few unhoused rocks.

I found out that the reason I had never been there is that there is really almost nothing there. The town is mostly there because of what used to be there.There used to be a sawmill, and a railroad, and a dry ice plant, and a mineral springs. Except
    for the springs that's all gone. What they left behind is a lot of small houses on small lots. Many of them are right on the highway. They have a big school house, along with the usual assortment of churches, bars, and other small businesses. It looked
    like most of the traffic was motorcyclists who were drawn to a highway with a lot of curves and very little traffic. I had to look it up on the internet to figure out why the town is there. "It's mostly a bedroom community." A third of the population is
    children. That percentage drops steeply after they turn 18. The median age is reported to be 30 there. The town's main draw is that they have a lot of relatively inexpensive houses left behind by the mill workers.

It's a pretty area and we enjoyed our visit, but we didn't find a lot of rock that looked like it needed a home. Washington state was probably only 2 or 3 pounds lighter when we left.

When we get somewhere near it the Saint John's Monastery Bakery is an irresistible draw for us. It looks like they're doing well. That place is always busy. It looks like they've completed 2 of their 3 building goals. If I read their sign correctly it
    looks like they want to expand into a full service restaurant. It should do well. They're already selling a lot of food and other stuff. I picked up a big tub of Greek "chili" from their freezer, along with our usual assortment of coffee and pastry and
    stuff.

After scouting out some other rivers on the Oregon side of the Columbia river I finally figured out that one of the best places to find pretty rocks near me is the Columbia river itself. The trick is finding places where you can easily get to the river
    and yet don't draw huge numbers of visitors. We found a nice day use area that, for the Columbia gorge, doesn't get a lot of traffic. By the time we left we had been the only people there for over a half hour. There had only been one other couple there
    when we arrived. Several families came and went while we were there. By comparison, the much bigger parking lot at the Multnomah falls just a little further down the freeway was absolutely packed.

We found some agates and some jade and other pretty rocks, but my best find was a nice chunk of carnelian agate that has been badly beat up by the river. It was the first time I found a piece of carnelian that was just out wandering around without any
    supervision. My specimen is at least 3 times bigger than what this guy has.

TB

Do you engage in "rock trafficking", or just hoard the formerly unhoused rocks, far away, from where nature placed them?
    Mr. Natural Jr.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to film...@gmail.com on Wed Jul 26 19:27:18 2023
    On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 8:38:47 PM UTC-7, film...@gmail.com wrote:
    My main reason for going to Klickitat WA was that I had never been there before. You hear that word frequently on this side of the river, but that's mostly because of the county and not the town. It also sounded like it might be a good place to
    collect a few unhoused rocks.

I found out that the reason I had never been there is that there is really almost nothing there. The town is mostly there because of what used to be there.There used to be a sawmill, and a railroad, and a dry ice plant, and a mineral springs. Except
    for the springs that's all gone. What they left behind is a lot of small houses on small lots. Many of them are right on the highway. They have a big school house, along with the usual assortment of churches, bars, and other small businesses. It looked
    like most of the traffic was motorcyclists who were drawn to a highway with a lot of curves and very little traffic. I had to look it up on the internet to figure out why the town is there. "It's mostly a bedroom community." A third of the population is

When we get somewhere near it the Saint John's Monastery Bakery is an irresistible draw for us. It looks like they're doing well. That place is always busy. It looks like they've completed 2 of their 3 building goals. If I read their sign correctly
    it looks like they want to expand into a full service restaurant. It should do well. They're already selling a lot of food and other stuff. I picked up a big tub of Greek "chili" from their freezer, along with our usual assortment of coffee and pastry
    and stuff.

After scouting out some other rivers on the Oregon side of the Columbia river I finally figured out that one of the best places to find pretty rocks near me is the Columbia river itself. The trick is finding places where you can easily get to the
    river and yet don't draw huge numbers of visitors. We found a nice day use area that, for the Columbia gorge, doesn't get a lot of traffic. By the time we left we had been the only people there for over a half hour. There had only been one other couple
    there when we arrived. Several families came and went while we were there. By comparison, the much bigger parking lot at the Multnomah falls just a little further down the freeway was absolutely packed.

We found some agates and some jade and other pretty rocks, but my best find was a nice chunk of carnelian agate that has been badly beat up by the river. It was the first time I found a piece of carnelian that was just out wandering around without
    any supervision. My specimen is at least 3 times bigger than what this guy has.

TB
    Do you engage in "rock trafficking", or just hoard the formerly unhoused rocks, far away, from where nature placed them?
    Mr. Natural Jr.

I'm mostly a rock hoarder, but I have my limits. I don't need huge piles of rocks. I just like having nice specimens of this and that. Just about anything that's pretty or pleasantly ugly, that will sit still without rotting or making a mess. The
    economics of rock trafficking discourage this activity. With a small collection I bought cheap I could sell a thousand dollars worth of rock, without putting a serious dent in my personal collection. By the time I converted those rocks to cash I would
    have put over a thousand dollars worth of work into them.

I saw a video by a crazy rockhound in AK. Nephrite jade is actually pretty common. This guy was regularly finding jade stones that weighed 40 pounds or more. He was looking at one of those rocks out by some river and says that sitting there it's
    not worth anything. But, he can take that rock home and cut it into 10 pieces and sell those pieces for $20/each. So he thinks that's a $200 rock. I think he's paying himself very poor wages.

So I have ended up with rocks that I would like to find a good home for. I have more than enough: small agates, nice sized dendritic agates that are most likely "Sweetwater agates" from Montana, thin slices of good quality nephrite jade, thin
    slices of black jasper with some sort of crystal inclusion, red jasper, and some of the biggest "Apache tears" that I've seen. I have both polished and unpolished examples of the Sweetwater agates and the Apache tears. I have some other stuff, but it
    would cost a lot more to mail it than it's worth. If you would like to give any of that a good home let me know. :-)

Who knows what the "natural place" is for a rock? The oldest rocks here started out as island chains off the coast of Idaho around 20 degrees north latitude, 400 million years ago. They're now a bit north and south of the 45th meridian. and well
    inland. Everything gets recycled from rock to sand and back to rock again. I have rocks that are obviously on at least their second time of being a rock because you can see the first rock crushed up in the second rock.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George.Anthony@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Thu Jul 27 09:49:35 2023
    On 7/26/2023 9:27 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
    My main reason for going to Klickitat WA was that I had never been there before. You hear that word frequently on this side of the river, but that's mostly because of the county and not the town. It also sounded like it might be a good place to

When we get somewhere near it the Saint John's Monastery Bakery is an irresistible draw for us. It looks like they're doing well. That place is always busy. It looks like they've completed 2 of their 3 building goals. If I read their sign correctly
    it looks like they want to expand into a full service restaurant. It should do well. They're already selling a lot of food and other stuff. I picked up a big tub of Greek "chili" from their freezer, along with our usual assortment of coffee and pastry
    and stuff.

After scouting out some other rivers on the Oregon side of the Columbia river I finally figured out that one of the best places to find pretty rocks near me is the Columbia river itself. The trick is finding places where you can easily get to the
    river and yet don't draw huge numbers of visitors. We found a nice day use area that, for the Columbia gorge, doesn't get a lot of traffic. By the time we left we had been the only people there for over a half hour. There had only been one other couple
    there when we arrived. Several families came and went while we were there. By comparison, the much bigger parking lot at the Multnomah falls just a little further down the freeway was absolutely packed.

We found some agates and some jade and other pretty rocks, but my best find was a nice chunk of carnelian agate that has been badly beat up by the river. It was the first time I found a piece of carnelian that was just out wandering around without
    any supervision. My specimen is at least 3 times bigger than what this guy has. >>>

TB
    Mr. Natural Jr.

I'm mostly a rock hoarder, but I have my limits. I don't need huge piles of rocks. I just like having nice specimens of this and that. Just about anything that's pretty or pleasantly ugly, that will sit still without rotting or making a mess.
    The economics of rock trafficking discourage this activity. With a small collection I bought cheap I could sell a thousand dollars worth of rock, without putting a serious dent in my personal collection. By the time I converted those rocks to cash I
    would have put over a thousand dollars worth of work into them.

I saw a video by a crazy rockhound in AK. Nephrite jade is actually pretty common. This guy was regularly finding jade stones that weighed 40 pounds or more. He was looking at one of those rocks out by some river and says that sitting there it's
    not worth anything. But, he can take that rock home and cut it into 10 pieces and sell those pieces for $20/each. So he thinks that's a $200 rock. I think he's paying himself very poor wages.

So I have ended up with rocks that I would like to find a good home for. I have more than enough: small agates, nice sized dendritic agates that are most likely "Sweetwater agates" from Montana, thin slices of good quality nephrite jade, thin
    slices of black jasper with some sort of crystal inclusion, red jasper, and some of the biggest "Apache tears" that I've seen. I have both polished and unpolished examples of the Sweetwater agates and the Apache tears. I have some other stuff, but it
    would cost a lot more to mail it than it's worth. If you would like to give any of that a good home let me know. :-)

Who knows what the "natural place" is for a rock? The oldest rocks here started out as island chains off the coast of Idaho around 20 degrees north latitude, 400 million years ago. They're now a bit north and south of the 45th meridian. and well
    inland. Everything gets recycled from rock to sand and back to rock again. I have rocks that are obviously on at least their second time of being a rock because you can see the first rock crushed up in the second rock.

TB

Aren't all rocks and dirt as old as the earth?
    --
    NAGA Dimocrats are the diseased who are infecting the entire country
    with insanity.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to George.Anthony on Thu Jul 27 14:47:22 2023
    On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 7:49:33 AM UTC-7, George.Anthony wrote:
    On 7/26/2023 9:27 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 11:48:52 AM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote: >>> My main reason for going to Klickitat WA was that I had never been there before. You hear that word frequently on this side of the river, but that's mostly because of the county and not the town. It also sounded like it might be a good place to

I found out that the reason I had never been there is that there is really almost nothing there. The town is mostly there because of what used to be there.There used to be a sawmill, and a railroad, and a dry ice plant, and a mineral springs.
    Except for the springs that's all gone. What they left behind is a lot of small houses on small lots. Many of them are right on the highway. They have a big school house, along with the usual assortment of churches, bars, and other small businesses. It
    looked like most of the traffic was motorcyclists who were drawn to a highway with a lot of curves and very little traffic. I had to look it up on the internet to figure out why the town is there. "It's mostly a bedroom community." A third of the
    population is children. That percentage drops steeply after they turn 18. The median age is reported to be 30 there. The town's main draw is that they have a lot of relatively inexpensive houses left behind by the mill workers.

and stuff.

TB
    Mr. Natural Jr.

I'm mostly a rock hoarder, but I have my limits. I don't need huge piles of rocks. I just like having nice specimens of this and that. Just about anything that's pretty or pleasantly ugly, that will sit still without rotting or making a mess. The
    economics of rock trafficking discourage this activity. With a small collection I bought cheap I could sell a thousand dollars worth of rock, without putting a serious dent in my personal collection. By the time I converted those rocks to cash I would

I saw a video by a crazy rockhound in AK. Nephrite jade is actually pretty common. This guy was regularly finding jade stones that weighed 40 pounds or more. He was looking at one of those rocks out by some river and says that sitting there it's not
    worth anything. But, he can take that rock home and cut it into 10 pieces and sell those pieces for $20/each. So he thinks that's a $200 rock. I think he's paying himself very poor wages.

So I have ended up with rocks that I would like to find a good home for. I have more than enough: small agates, nice sized dendritic agates that are most likely "Sweetwater agates" from Montana, thin slices of good quality nephrite jade, thin slices
    of black jasper with some sort of crystal inclusion, red jasper, and some of the biggest "Apache tears" that I've seen. I have both polished and unpolished examples of the Sweetwater agates and the Apache tears. I have some other stuff, but it would cost
    a lot more to mail it than it's worth. If you would like to give any of that a good home let me know. :-)

TB
    Aren't all rocks and dirt as old as the earth?
    --

Like everything else it depends on how you look at it. Before they were rocks most of the rocks here were probably magma. It seems like most of the rocks here were spit up by volcanoes more than once. I guess it's sort of like evangelical
    christians. They were "reborn". The Cascade mountains are actually a fairly recent addition to the landscape. That's why they aren't all worn down, like the Appalachian, so called "mountains". Some of those mountains was turned into dirt. You can see
    where our mountains are turning into dirt. A lot of our dirt was once living organisms. All of our dirt was made from something that wasn't dirt at one time.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kmiller@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Thu Jul 27 19:16:11 2023
    On 7/26/2023 7:27 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:

and stuff.

any supervision. My specimen is at least 3 times bigger than what this guy has. >>>

TB
    Mr. Natural Jr.

I'm mostly a rock hoarder, but I have my limits. I don't need huge piles of rocks. I just like having nice specimens of this and that. Just about anything that's pretty or pleasantly ugly, that will sit still without rotting or making a mess.
    The economics of rock trafficking discourage this activity. With a small collection I bought cheap I could sell a thousand dollars worth of rock, without putting a serious dent in my personal collection. By the time I converted those rocks to cash I

TB

I also enjoyed the rock hounding part of it, back in the day. I'd take
    what I found - or acquired on ebay - and slab it up on my 16 inch rock
    saw. Then I'd take the slabs and sell them on ebay. Eventually, I
    realized that with all the time cutting, measured, weighing,
    photographing, advertising, packaging and shipping, I was lacking time
    for other things I also wished to do. Still, it was fun taking a rough
    chunk of rock and cutting slabs from it to see what it looked like
    inside. I still have a large chunk of Lapis Lazuli left over from those
    days.

Somewhere, I still have a DVD about rock hounding in Oregon. It was from
    this site - http://orerockon.com/ore_rock.htm - I think. We went camping
    with that group in Central Oregon back in the nineties. Got to go to
    some local sites for geodes, another for some nice Jasper, petrified
    wood and agates.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to kmiller on Fri Jul 28 16:39:24 2023
    On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 7:16:22 PM UTC-7, kmiller wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 11:48:52 AM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote: >>> My main reason for going to Klickitat WA was that I had never been there before. You hear that word frequently on this side of the river, but that's mostly because of the county and not the town. It also sounded like it might be a good place to

I found out that the reason I had never been there is that there is really almost nothing there. The town is mostly there because of what used to be there.There used to be a sawmill, and a railroad, and a dry ice plant, and a mineral springs.
    Except for the springs that's all gone. What they left behind is a lot of small houses on small lots. Many of them are right on the highway. They have a big school house, along with the usual assortment of churches, bars, and other small businesses. It
    looked like most of the traffic was motorcyclists who were drawn to a highway with a lot of curves and very little traffic. I had to look it up on the internet to figure out why the town is there. "It's mostly a bedroom community." A third of the
    population is children. That percentage drops steeply after they turn 18. The median age is reported to be 30 there. The town's main draw is that they have a lot of relatively inexpensive houses left behind by the mill workers.

and stuff.

TB
    Mr. Natural Jr.

I saw a video by a crazy rockhound in AK. Nephrite jade is actually pretty common. This guy was regularly finding jade stones that weighed 40 pounds or more. He was looking at one of those rocks out by some river and says that sitting there it's not
    worth anything. But, he can take that rock home and cut it into 10 pieces and sell those pieces for $20/each. So he thinks that's a $200 rock. I think he's paying himself very poor wages.

So I have ended up with rocks that I would like to find a good home for. I have more than enough: small agates, nice sized dendritic agates that are most likely "Sweetwater agates" from Montana, thin slices of good quality nephrite jade, thin slices
    of black jasper with some sort of crystal inclusion, red jasper, and some of the biggest "Apache tears" that I've seen. I have both polished and unpolished examples of the Sweetwater agates and the Apache tears. I have some other stuff, but it would cost
    a lot more to mail it than it's worth. If you would like to give any of that a good home let me know. :-)

TB
    inside. I still have a large chunk of Lapis Lazuli left over from those days.

Somewhere, I still have a DVD about rock hounding in Oregon. It was from this site - http://orerockon.com/ore_rock.htm - I think. We went camping with that group in Central Oregon back in the nineties. Got to go to
    wood and agates.

Like the rest of the land, the rock scene here is obviously changing. Open sites are getting harder to find all the time. I consider it normal to find a locked gate where there used to be an open site. Some of the places that used to allow digging
    for a fee no longer allow anyone but employees to dig. Personally I'm not digging up anything. I get plenty of exercise from picking rocks up off the ground, and you can still find a lot of nice stuff that way.

There's still at least one place where you can dig for sunstones for free. That's a lot more work than I plan to do for any rock. There's a place that will let you smash up their sunstone ore for $600/day. For an additional $50 they'll supply a
    table to smash your rocks on. After that you only pay half of the wholesale value of anything that's gem quality and over 10 carats. I accidentally acquired a small jar of small stones and bits and pieces of sunstone. That's more than enough sunstone for
    me. I've always liked museums. I have my own little natural history museum.

Some guy out here bought 6 mining sites that were producing semi-precious stones, with some mixture of: wholesale, retail and digging for a fee. One of them was producing "polka dot" agates. He put the whole operation into bankruptcy. It's all fun,
    but it's a hard way to make a living.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From filmbydon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Fri Jul 28 21:40:21 2023
    On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 4:39:27 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:

When we get somewhere near it the Saint John's Monastery Bakery is an irresistible draw for us. It looks like they're doing well. That place is always busy. It looks like they've completed 2 of their 3 building goals. If I read their sign
    correctly it looks like they want to expand into a full service restaurant. It should do well. They're already selling a lot of food and other stuff. I picked up a big tub of Greek "chili" from their freezer, along with our usual assortment of coffee and
    pastry and stuff.

We found some agates and some jade and other pretty rocks, but my best find was a nice chunk of carnelian agate that has been badly beat up by the river. It was the first time I found a piece of carnelian that was just out wandering around
    without any supervision. My specimen is at least 3 times bigger than what this guy has.

TB
    Mr. Natural Jr.

TB
    I also enjoyed the rock hounding part of it, back in the day. I'd take what I found - or acquired on ebay - and slab it up on my 16 inch rock saw. Then I'd take the slabs and sell them on ebay. Eventually, I
    realized that with all the time cutting, measured, weighing, photographing, advertising, packaging and shipping, I was lacking time
    for other things I also wished to do. Still, it was fun taking a rough chunk of rock and cutting slabs from it to see what it looked like
    inside. I still have a large chunk of Lapis Lazuli left over from those days.

Somewhere, I still have a DVD about rock hounding in Oregon. It was from this site - http://orerockon.com/ore_rock.htm - I think. We went camping with that group in Central Oregon back in the nineties. Got to go to
    wood and agates.
    Like the rest of the land, the rock scene here is obviously changing. Open sites are getting harder to find all the time. I consider it normal to find a locked gate where there used to be an open site. Some of the places that used to allow digging for
    a fee no longer allow anyone but employees to dig. Personally I'm not digging up anything. I get plenty of exercise from picking rocks up off the ground, and you can still find a lot of nice stuff that way.

There's still at least one place where you can dig for sunstones for free. That's a lot more work than I plan to do for any rock. There's a place that will let you smash up their sunstone ore for $600/day. For an additional $50 they'll supply a table
    to smash your rocks on. After that you only pay half of the wholesale value of anything that's gem quality and over 10 carats. I accidentally acquired a small jar of small stones and bits and pieces of sunstone. That's more than enough sunstone for me. I'
    ve always liked museums. I have my own little natural history museum.

Some guy out here bought 6 mining sites that were producing semi-precious stones, with some mixture of: wholesale, retail and digging for a fee. One of them was producing "polka dot" agates. He put the whole operation into bankruptcy. It's all fun, but
    it's a hard way to make a living.

TB

Years ago, a prison guard who worked for me, wanted to build a rock BBQ in his backyard... His friend, another guard, said he'd help him... So, they hitched a trailer to the 4X4 P/U, and drove up into the hills, East of Fresno, until they found a
    turn out with lots of rocks laying around, & began to fill up the trailer, when along comes another LEO, working for the BLM, or Forest Service, who asked, "Why are you stealing all these rocks?"

There was an unpleasant confrontation, & the two prison guards ended up getting arrested for stealing rocks from BLM, or the national forest .... I don't recall the final outcome of the situation, but both had to hire lawyers, and it caused them grief
    at work, as well.... Neither of them, would admit, nor could believe, that they'd done anything wrong, which only made their plight worse! Guess they felt their Rights were being violated, because they couldn't pick up stray rocks, & put them to a
    better use?

A word to the wise should be sufficient! HawHawHaw!

Johnny Cockren Jr.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bfh@21:1/5 to film...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 29 02:19:28 2023
    film...@gmail.com wrote:

When we get somewhere near it the Saint John's Monastery Bakery is an irresistible draw for us. It looks like they're doing well. That place is always busy. It looks like they've completed 2 of their 3 building goals. If I read their sign
    correctly it looks like they want to expand into a full service restaurant. It should do well. They're already selling a lot of food and other stuff. I picked up a big tub of Greek "chili" from their freezer, along with our usual assortment of coffee and
    pastry and stuff.

any supervision. My specimen is at least 3 times bigger than what this guy has. >>>>>>

TB
    Mr. Natural Jr.

TB
    inside. I still have a large chunk of Lapis Lazuli left over from those
    days.

Somewhere, I still have a DVD about rock hounding in Oregon. It was from >>> this site - http://orerockon.com/ore_rock.htm - I think. We went camping >>> with that group in Central Oregon back in the nineties. Got to go to
    wood and agates.
    Like the rest of the land, the rock scene here is obviously changing. Open sites are getting harder to find all the time. I consider it normal to find a locked gate where there used to be an open site. Some of the places that used to allow digging for
    a fee no longer allow anyone but employees to dig. Personally I'm not digging up anything. I get plenty of exercise from picking rocks up off the ground, and you can still find a lot of nice stuff that way.

There's still at least one place where you can dig for sunstones for free. That's a lot more work than I plan to do for any rock. There's a place that will let you smash up their sunstone ore for $600/day. For an additional $50 they'll supply a table
    to smash your rocks on. After that you only pay half of the wholesale value of anything that's gem quality and over 10 carats. I accidentally acquired a small jar of small stones and bits and pieces of sunstone. That's more than enough sunstone for me. I'

Some guy out here bought 6 mining sites that were producing semi-precious stones, with some mixture of: wholesale, retail and digging for a fee. One of them was producing "polka dot" agates. He put the whole operation into bankruptcy. It's all fun,

TB

Years ago, a prison guard who worked for me, wanted to build a rock BBQ in his backyard... His friend, another guard, said he'd help him... So, they hitched a trailer to the 4X4 P/U, and drove up into the hills, East of Fresno, until they found
    a turn out with lots of rocks laying around, & began to fill up the trailer, when along comes another LEO, working for the BLM, or Forest Service, who asked, "Why are you stealing all these rocks?"

There was an unpleasant confrontation, & the two prison guards ended up getting arrested for stealing rocks from BLM, or the national forest .... I don't recall the final outcome of the situation, but both had to hire lawyers, and it caused them
    grief at work, as well.... Neither of them, would admit, nor could believe, that they'd done anything wrong, which only made their plight worse! Guess they felt their Rights were being violated, because they couldn't pick up stray rocks, & put them
    to a better use?

Johnny Cockren Jr.

I don't have to be wise - I've never wanted a rock BBQ.

--
    bill
    Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Technobarbarian@21:1/5 to film...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 29 16:51:54 2023
    On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 9:40:23 PM UTC-7, film...@gmail.com wrote:

pastry and stuff.

After scouting out some other rivers on the Oregon side of the Columbia river I finally figured out that one of the best places to find pretty rocks near me is the Columbia river itself. The trick is finding places where you can easily get to
    the river and yet don't draw huge numbers of visitors. We found a nice day use area that, for the Columbia gorge, doesn't get a lot of traffic. By the time we left we had been the only people there for over a half hour. There had only been one other
    couple there when we arrived. Several families came and went while we were there. By comparison, the much bigger parking lot at the Multnomah falls just a little further down the freeway was absolutely packed.

We found some agates and some jade and other pretty rocks, but my best find was a nice chunk of carnelian agate that has been badly beat up by the river. It was the first time I found a piece of carnelian that was just out wandering around
    without any supervision. My specimen is at least 3 times bigger than what this guy has.

TB
    Mr. Natural Jr.

TB
    I also enjoyed the rock hounding part of it, back in the day. I'd take what I found - or acquired on ebay - and slab it up on my 16 inch rock saw. Then I'd take the slabs and sell them on ebay. Eventually, I realized that with all the time cutting, measured, weighing, photographing, advertising, packaging and shipping, I was lacking time for other things I also wished to do. Still, it was fun taking a rough chunk of rock and cutting slabs from it to see what it looked like inside. I still have a large chunk of Lapis Lazuli left over from those days.

Somewhere, I still have a DVD about rock hounding in Oregon. It was from this site - http://orerockon.com/ore_rock.htm - I think. We went camping with that group in Central Oregon back in the nineties. Got to go to some local sites for geodes, another for some nice Jasper, petrified wood and agates.
    Like the rest of the land, the rock scene here is obviously changing. Open sites are getting harder to find all the time. I consider it normal to find a locked gate where there used to be an open site. Some of the places that used to allow digging
    for a fee no longer allow anyone but employees to dig. Personally I'm not digging up anything. I get plenty of exercise from picking rocks up off the ground, and you can still find a lot of nice stuff that way.

TB
    Years ago, a prison guard who worked for me, wanted to build a rock BBQ in his backyard... His friend, another guard, said he'd help him... So, they hitched a trailer to the 4X4 P/U, and drove up into the hills, East of Fresno, until they found a turn
    out with lots of rocks laying around, & began to fill up the trailer, when along comes another LEO, working for the BLM, or Forest Service, who asked, "Why are you stealing all these rocks?"

There was an unpleasant confrontation, & the two prison guards ended up getting arrested for stealing rocks from BLM, or the national forest .... I don't recall the final outcome of the situation, but both had to hire lawyers, and it caused them grief
    at work, as well.... Neither of them, would admit, nor could believe, that they'd done anything wrong, which only made their plight worse! Guess they felt their Rights were being violated, because they couldn't pick up stray rocks, & put them to a better
    use?

Johnny Cockren Jr.

I have taken rocks from Federal land without all of the proper permits, a time or two. Who cares about rocks? Well the Federal government for one. Who knew? You are allowed to collect rocks many places, but the limit is usually 50 pounds per day.
    I was working for a guy who decided to build a sidewalk next to a house he owned with big flat rocks from the desert. It came out pretty nice, but it's mostly just a border on the front lawn. If we had been caught I would have blamed it all on him. I
    suppose it could happen, but I've never had anyone checking my rocks. The Weyerhaeuser guy who was putting up no trespassing signs outside Sweet Home asked if I had found anything nice, but he really didn't care that I wasn't supposed to take anything.

I was with a friend when he got his load of wood checked by a state highway patrolman. He was looking at permits for the wood and the weight. My friend was invited to drive over an otherwise closed truck scale a couple of miles the other way. He
    had his permits in order and we were close enough to the legal weight that the cop let us go with the usual cop talk. The Feds keep a close eye on their wood. They were putting video cameras in the forest before that became a popular thing to do. The
    hills really do have eyes.

TB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From filmbydon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Technobarbarian on Sat Jul 29 17:28:12 2023
    On Saturday, July 29, 2023 at 4:51:56 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian wrote:
    On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 9:40:23 PM UTC-7, film...@gmail.com wrote:
    My main reason for going to Klickitat WA was that I had never been there before. You hear that word frequently on this side of the river, but that's mostly because of the county and not the town. It also sounded like it might be a good place
    to collect a few unhoused rocks.

pastry and stuff.

After scouting out some other rivers on the Oregon side of the Columbia river I finally figured out that one of the best places to find pretty rocks near me is the Columbia river itself. The trick is finding places where you can easily get to
    the river and yet don't draw huge numbers of visitors. We found a nice day use area that, for the Columbia gorge, doesn't get a lot of traffic. By the time we left we had been the only people there for over a half hour. There had only been one other
    couple there when we arrived. Several families came and went while we were there. By comparison, the much bigger parking lot at the Multnomah falls just a little further down the freeway was absolutely packed.

TB
    Mr. Natural Jr.

I saw a video by a crazy rockhound in AK. Nephrite jade is actually pretty common. This guy was regularly finding jade stones that weighed 40 pounds or more. He was looking at one of those rocks out by some river and says that sitting there it'
    s not worth anything. But, he can take that rock home and cut it into 10 pieces and sell those pieces for $20/each. So he thinks that's a $200 rock. I think he's paying himself very poor wages.

Who knows what the "natural place" is for a rock? The oldest rocks here started out as island chains off the coast of Idaho around 20 degrees north latitude, 400 million years ago. They're now a bit north and south of the 45th meridian. and
    well inland. Everything gets recycled from rock to sand and back to rock again. I have rocks that are obviously on at least their second time of being a rock because you can see the first rock crushed up in the second rock.

TB
    I also enjoyed the rock hounding part of it, back in the day. I'd take what I found - or acquired on ebay - and slab it up on my 16 inch rock saw. Then I'd take the slabs and sell them on ebay. Eventually, I realized that with all the time cutting, measured, weighing, photographing, advertising, packaging and shipping, I was lacking time for other things I also wished to do. Still, it was fun taking a rough chunk of rock and cutting slabs from it to see what it looked like inside. I still have a large chunk of Lapis Lazuli left over from those
    days.

Somewhere, I still have a DVD about rock hounding in Oregon. It was from
    this site - http://orerockon.com/ore_rock.htm - I think. We went camping
    with that group in Central Oregon back in the nineties. Got to go to some local sites for geodes, another for some nice Jasper, petrified wood and agates.

There's still at least one place where you can dig for sunstones for free. That's a lot more work than I plan to do for any rock. There's a place that will let you smash up their sunstone ore for $600/day. For an additional $50 they'll supply a
    table to smash your rocks on. After that you only pay half of the wholesale value of anything that's gem quality and over 10 carats. I accidentally acquired a small jar of small stones and bits and pieces of sunstone. That's more than enough sunstone for
    me. I've always liked museums. I have my own little natural history museum.

TB
    Years ago, a prison guard who worked for me, wanted to build a rock BBQ in his backyard... His friend, another guard, said he'd help him... So, they hitched a trailer to the 4X4 P/U, and drove up into the hills, East of Fresno, until they found a
    turn out with lots of rocks laying around, & began to fill up the trailer, when along comes another LEO, working for the BLM, or Forest Service, who asked, "Why are you stealing all these rocks?"

There was an unpleasant confrontation, & the two prison guards ended up getting arrested for stealing rocks from BLM, or the national forest .... I don't recall the final outcome of the situation, but both had to hire lawyers, and it caused them
    grief at work, as well.... Neither of them, would admit, nor could believe, that they'd done anything wrong, which only made their plight worse! Guess they felt their Rights were being violated, because they couldn't pick up stray rocks, & put them to a
    better use?

Johnny Cockren Jr.
    I have taken rocks from Federal land without all of the proper permits, a time or two. Who cares about rocks? Well the Federal government for one. Who knew? You are allowed to collect rocks many places, but the limit is usually 50 pounds per day. I was
    working for a guy who decided to build a sidewalk next to a house he owned with big flat rocks from the desert. It came out pretty nice, but it's mostly just a border on the front lawn. If we had been caught I would have blamed it all on him. I suppose
    it could happen, but I've never had anyone checking my rocks. The Weyerhaeuser guy who was putting up no trespassing signs outside Sweet Home asked if I had found anything nice, but he really didn't care that I wasn't supposed to take anything.

I was with a friend when he got his load of wood checked by a state highway patrolman. He was looking at permits for the wood and the weight. My friend was invited to drive over an otherwise closed truck scale a couple of miles the other way. He had
    his permits in order and we were close enough to the legal weight that the cop let us go with the usual cop talk. The Feds keep a close eye on their wood. They were putting video cameras in the forest before that became a popular thing to do. The hills
    really do have eyes.

TB

In the mid 70's, I worked for a guy in Topanga Canyon, just outside Santa Monica, CA, who used lots of rocks, on masonry jobs... We gathered tons of them from creekside turn outs... No-one complained... Lucky thing I was so blissfully ignorant
    about just what might have happened, if I'd been pinched, for rock theft! I might not have been hired due to my criminal past....

A reformed rock snatcher

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bfh@21:1/5 to film...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 31 03:29:46 2023
    film...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, July 29, 2023 at 4:51:56 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian
    wrote:
    On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 9:40:23 PM UTC-7, film...@gmail.com
    wrote:
    On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 4:39:27 PM UTC-7, Technobarbarian
    wrote:
    On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 7:16:22 PM UTC-7, kmiller
    wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 8:38:47 PM UTC-7,
    film...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 11:48:52 AM UTC-7,
    Technobarbarian wrote:
    My main reason for going to Klickitat WA was that I
    had never been there before. You hear that word
    frequently on this side of the river, but that's
    mostly because of the county and not the town. It
    also sounded like it might be a good place to collect
    a few unhoused rocks.

I found out that the reason I had never been there is
    that there is really almost nothing there. The town
    is mostly there because of what used to be
    there.There used to be a sawmill, and a railroad, and
    a dry ice plant, and a mineral springs. Except for
    the springs that's all gone. What they left behind is
    a lot of small houses on small lots. Many of them are
    right on the highway. They have a big school house,
    along with the usual assortment of churches, bars,
    and other small businesses. It looked like most of
    the traffic was motorcyclists who were drawn to a
    highway with a lot of curves and very little traffic.
    I had to look it up on the internet to figure out why
    the town is there. "It's mostly a bedroom community."
    A third of the population is children. That
    percentage drops steeply after they turn 18. The
    median age is reported to be 30 there. The town's
    main draw is that they have a lot of relatively
    inexpensive houses left behind by the mill workers.

It's a pretty area and we enjoyed our visit, but we didn't find a lot
    of rock that looked like it needed a home. Washington state was
    probably only 2 or 3 pounds lighter when we left.

When we get somewhere near it the Saint John's
    Monastery Bakery is an irresistible draw for us. It
    looks like they're doing well. That place is always
    busy. It looks like they've completed 2 of their 3
    building goals. If I read their sign correctly it
    looks like they want to expand into a full service
    restaurant. It should do well. They're already
    selling a lot of food and other stuff. I picked up a
    big tub of Greek "chili" from their freezer, along
    with our usual assortment of coffee and pastry and
    stuff.

After scouting out some other rivers on the Oregon
    side of the Columbia river I finally figured out that
    one of the best places to find pretty rocks near me
    is the Columbia river itself. The trick is finding
    places where you can easily get to the river and yet
    don't draw huge numbers of visitors. We found a nice
    day use area that, for the Columbia gorge, doesn't
    get a lot of traffic. By the time we left we had been
    the only people there for over a half hour. There had
    only been one other couple there when we arrived.
    Several families came and went while we were there.
    By comparison, the much bigger parking lot at the
    Multnomah falls just a little further down the
    freeway was absolutely packed.

We found some agates and some jade and other pretty
    rocks, but my best find was a nice chunk of carnelian
    agate that has been badly beat up by the river. It
    was the first time I found a piece of carnelian that
    was just out wandering around without any
    supervision. My specimen is at least 3 times bigger
    than what this guy has.

TB
    Do you engage in "rock trafficking", or just hoard the
    formerly unhoused rocks, far away, from where nature
    placed them? Mr. Natural Jr.

I'm mostly a rock hoarder, but I have my limits. I don't
    need huge piles of rocks. I just like having nice
    specimens of this and that. Just about anything that's
    pretty or pleasantly ugly, that will sit still without
    rotting or making a mess. The economics of rock
    trafficking discourage this activity. With a small
    collection I bought cheap I could sell a thousand dollars
    worth of rock, without putting a serious dent in my
    personal collection. By the time I converted those rocks
    to cash I would have put over a thousand dollars worth of
    work into them.

I saw a video by a crazy rockhound in AK. Nephrite jade
    is actually pretty common. This guy was regularly finding
    jade stones that weighed 40 pounds or more. He was
    looking at one of those rocks out by some river and says
    that sitting there it's not worth anything. But, he can
    take that rock home and cut it into 10 pieces and sell
    those pieces for $20/each. So he thinks that's a $200
    rock. I think he's paying himself very poor wages.

So I have ended up with rocks that I would like to find a
    good home for. I have more than enough: small agates,
    nice sized dendritic agates that are most likely
    "Sweetwater agates" from Montana, thin slices of good
    quality nephrite jade, thin slices of black jasper with
    some sort of crystal inclusion, red jasper, and some of
    the biggest "Apache tears" that I've seen. I have both
    polished and unpolished examples of the Sweetwater agates
    and the Apache tears. I have some other stuff, but it
    would cost a lot more to mail it than it's worth. If you
    would like to give any of that a good home let me know.
    :-)

Who knows what the "natural place" is for a rock? The
    oldest rocks here started out as island chains off the
    coast of Idaho around 20 degrees north latitude, 400
    million years ago. They're now a bit north and south of
    the 45th meridian. and well inland. Everything gets
    recycled from rock to sand and back to rock again. I have
    rocks that are obviously on at least their second time of
    being a rock because you can see the first rock crushed
    up in the second rock.

TB
    I also enjoyed the rock hounding part of it, back in the
    day. I'd take what I found - or acquired on ebay - and slab
    it up on my 16 inch rock saw. Then I'd take the slabs and
    sell them on ebay. Eventually, I realized that with all the
    time cutting, measured, weighing, photographing,
    advertising, packaging and shipping, I was lacking time for
    other things I also wished to do. Still, it was fun taking
    a rough chunk of rock and cutting slabs from it to see what
    it looked like inside. I still have a large chunk of Lapis
    Lazuli left over from those days.

Somewhere, I still have a DVD about rock hounding in
    Oregon. It was from this site -
    http://orerockon.com/ore_rock.htm - I think. We went
    camping with that group in Central Oregon back in the
    nineties. Got to go to some local sites for geodes, another
    for some nice Jasper, petrified wood and agates.
    Like the rest of the land, the rock scene here is obviously
    changing. Open sites are getting harder to find all the time.
    I consider it normal to find a locked gate where there used
    to be an open site. Some of the places that used to allow
    digging for a fee no longer allow anyone but employees to
    dig. Personally I'm not digging up anything. I get plenty of
    exercise from picking rocks up off the ground, and you can
    still find a lot of nice stuff that way.

There's still at least one place where you can dig for
    sunstones for free. That's a lot more work than I plan to do
    for any rock. There's a place that will let you smash up
    their sunstone ore for $600/day. For an additional $50
    they'll supply a table to smash your rocks on. After that you
    only pay half of the wholesale value of anything that's gem
    quality and over 10 carats. I accidentally acquired a small
    jar of small stones and bits and pieces of sunstone. That's
    more than enough sunstone for me. I've always liked museums.
    I have my own little natural history museum.

Some guy out here bought 6 mining sites that were producing
    semi-precious stones, with some mixture of: wholesale, retail
    and digging for a fee. One of them was producing "polka dot"
    agates. He put the whole operation into bankruptcy. It's all
    fun, but it's a hard way to make a living.

TB
    Years ago, a prison guard who worked for me, wanted to build a
    rock BBQ in his backyard... His friend, another guard, said
    he'd help him... So, they hitched a trailer to the 4X4 P/U, and
    drove up into the hills, East of Fresno, until they found a
    turn out with lots of rocks laying around, & began to fill up
    the trailer, when along comes another LEO, working for the BLM,
    or Forest Service, who asked, "Why are you stealing all these
    rocks?"

There was an unpleasant confrontation, & the two prison guards
    ended up getting arrested for stealing rocks from BLM, or the
    national forest .... I don't recall the final outcome of the
    situation, but both had to hire lawyers, and it caused them
    grief at work, as well.... Neither of them, would admit, nor
    could believe, that they'd done anything wrong, which only made
    their plight worse! Guess they felt their Rights were being
    violated, because they couldn't pick up stray rocks, & put them
    to a better use?

Johnny Cockren Jr.
    I have taken rocks from Federal land without all of the proper
    permits, a time or two. Who cares about rocks? Well the Federal
    government for one. Who knew? You are allowed to collect rocks
    many places, but the limit is usually 50 pounds per day. I was
    working for a guy who decided to build a sidewalk next to a house
    he owned with big flat rocks from the desert. It came out pretty
    nice, but it's mostly just a border on the front lawn. If we had
    been caught I would have blamed it all on him. I suppose it could
    happen, but I've never had anyone checking my rocks. The
    Weyerhaeuser guy who was putting up no trespassing signs outside
    Sweet Home asked if I had found anything nice, but he really
    didn't care that I wasn't supposed to take anything.

I was with a friend when he got his load of wood checked by a
    state highway patrolman. He was looking at permits for the wood
    and the weight. My friend was invited to drive over an otherwise
    closed truck scale a couple of miles the other way. He had his
    permits in order and we were close enough to the legal weight
    that the cop let us go with the usual cop talk. The Feds keep a
    close eye on their wood. They were putting video cameras in the
    forest before that became a popular thing to do. The hills really
    do have eyes.

TB

In the mid 70's, I worked for a guy in Topanga Canyon, just
    outside Santa Monica, CA, who used lots of rocks, on masonry
    jobs... We gathered tons of them from creekside turn outs...
    No-one complained... Lucky thing I was so blissfully ignorant
    about just what might have happened, if I'd been pinched, for
    rock theft! I might not have been hired due to my criminal
    past....

A reformed rock snatcher

At the end of the day going forward, I allege that you apparently
    unfettered and morally disadvantaged rock thieves should reconsider
    your ill considered actions. Portland needs all the rocks they can get
    to control their encampments of their ever-growing houseless population.

-----------------------------------------------------
    The Bureau of Environmental Services paid $33,000 to manufacture and
    install three metal gates and dropped about 20 tons of boulders and
    blocks around the site’s perimeter. Similar security measures are
    being taken at countless natural areas across the city.
    ------------------------------------------------------ https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2023/07/hidden-toll-of-homeless-crisis-portlands-prized-natural-areas.html

So, look....if you have any unauthorized.....like.....rocks, boulders,
    or concrete blocks, I allege that you should seriously consider
    donating them to the BES. So think about it, guys, and look forward in
    the passage of time to the warm, fuzzy feeling you can get by being
    part of the solution.

--
    bill
    Theory don't mean squat if it don't work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05