• The SCA: Is it a LARP?

From infernallitigator@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 27 22:31:15 2015
    I think it's a tall order to Define what a LARP is but there are some poor assumptions in your explanation. The idea that the Society isn't a game is a definition of "game" that demeans LARPing. In truth the SCA is an amusement, it doesn't generate
    income or progress modern society. It doesn't have an objective and competition but it is play, much in the same sense that LARPs are.

As to the claim that the SCA has no Game Master, that is no more true of the SCA than of AMTGARD or TFA. If you show up at an SCA event out of garb or if your intoxicated or harassing others you will meet the people who steer and structure the experience.

The idea that the SCA is different in that there is no externally driven objective is not accurate. The objective is often less heroic in most cases but SCA folk are there to engage, they carouse or compete or flirt or display their skills with
    objectives that are engineered within the event. It may not be a rustic NPC giving them a heroic quest to undertake but bear in mind many LARPS don't feature plots that are driven by the GM or NPCS but rely on conflict or collaboration of the players.
    The SCA more closely resembles this model of game.

The bottom line is that the SCA is live and active and those engaging are playing roles, that's all of the letters required. The SCA may not be fond of the comparison or they may claim that their organization predate LARPs but it doesn't change how that
    definition applies to them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dorothy J Heydt@21:1/5 to infernallitigator@gmail.com on Mon Sep 28 13:10:46 2015
    In article <58f51233-0196-45ac-a1ca-cfc5a842aede@googlegroups.com>,
    <infernallitigator@gmail.com> wrote:
    I think it's a tall order to Define what a LARP is but there are some
    poor assumptions in your explanation. The idea that the Society isn't a
    game is a definition of "game" that demeans LARPing. In truth the SCA is
    an amusement, it doesn't generate income or progress modern society. It >doesn't have an objective and competition but it is play, much in the
    same sense that LARPs are.

As to the claim that the SCA has no Game Master, that is no more true of
    the SCA than of AMTGARD or TFA. If you show up at an SCA event out of
    garb or if your intoxicated or harassing others you will meet the people
    who steer and structure the experience.

The idea that the SCA is different in that there is no externally driven >objective is not accurate. The objective is often less heroic in most
    cases but SCA folk are there to engage, they carouse or compete or flirt
    or display their skills with objectives that are engineered within the
    event. It may not be a rustic NPC giving them a heroic quest to
    undertake but bear in mind many LARPS don't feature plots that are
    driven by the GM or NPCS but rely on conflict or collaboration of the >players. The SCA more closely resembles this model of game.

The bottom line is that the SCA is live and active and those engaging
    are playing roles, that's all of the letters required. The SCA may not
    be fond of the comparison or they may claim that their organization
    predate LARPs but it doesn't change how that definition applies to them.

The post to which you're responding is represented by a pair of
    empty parentheses on my newsreader. When was it posted? or are
    you replying to an email sent to you alone?

--
    Dorothea of Caer-Myrddin Dorothy J. Heydt Vinhold/Mists/West Vallejo, California
    PRO DEO ET REGE djheydt at gmail dot com
    Should you wish to email me, you'd better use the gmail edress.
    Kithrup's all spammy and hotmail's been hacked.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Basil@21:1/5 to Dorothy J Heydt on Tue Sep 29 22:37:29 2015
    On 9/28/2015 6:10 AM, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
    In article <58f51233-0196-45ac-a1ca-cfc5a842aede@googlegroups.com>,
    <infernallitigator@gmail.com> wrote:

{snip}

The post to which you're responding is represented by a pair of
    empty parentheses on my newsreader. When was it posted? or are
    you replying to an email sent to you alone?

Checking the headers to infernallitigator's post, I have found out he's replying
    to a thread that started in late April 1997, and which ended by very early June 1997.

I didn't even get a pair of empty parentheses - - - just what looks like a post out of the blue.

M'lord infernallitigator, please check the date of a post or thread on Google before you respond to it. Other than Google, I know of no Usenet server that keeps posts past a few months, and certainly not for 18 years. If a subject interests you, you could try creating a new thread on the subject; note, though,
    that some matters have been re-re-re-re-re-re-hashed over the years.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05