• Who was Daddy Claxton?

From poundsway@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Al Christians on Thu Jun 16 20:55:33 2016
    On Tuesday, May 11, 1999 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+9, Al Christians wrote:
    This character is mentioned in the Wabash Cannonball. Claxton was
    also, I believe, Roy Acuff's middle name. If anyone can explain this,
    please do. Is this a case of persons living or dead being purely coincidental, or is there any connection not involving precognition?

TIA.

Al

The version of this song I learned as a boy in Oklahoma in the 1950s has "Here's to Daddy Claxton, may his name forever stand / And always be remembered round the courts of Alabam'." This is Roy Acuff's 1938 version, though for all I know he may have
    sung others.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From robertswes00@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 1 17:39:13 2018
    Daddy Claxton was an Alabama farmer at the turn of the century in rural Alabama.Most historical records say that he was Black. The railroads of that time had a monopoly on farmers crops getting to market and many lost their farms. He stole a train to get
    his crops to market and although tried, was not convicted, the jury was made up of sympathetic farmers from the area.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jloewen00@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Al Christians on Sun Sep 30 07:22:22 2018
    On Tuesday, May 11, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Al Christians wrote:
    also, I believe, Roy Acuff's middle name. If anyone can explain this,
    please do. Is this a case of persons living or dead being purely coincidental, or is there any connection not involving precognition?

TIA.

Al

Replying to the LAST comment on the thread, the one that says:
    Daddy Claxton was an Alabama farmer at the turn of the century in rural Alabama.Most historical records say that he was Black. The railroads of that time had a monopoly on farmers crops getting to market and many lost their farms. He stole a train to get
    his crops to market and although tried, was not convicted, the jury was made up of sympathetic farmers from the area.
    The above is what I learned, too, somewhere in my past. Did you learn it from me? for instance, at https://historynewsnetwork.org/blog/152354 ? If not, then you and I both learned it independently, which is TWO sources, twice as good as one!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Scolnic@21:1/5 to jloe...@gmail.com on Fri Mar 19 12:39:59 2021
    On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 10:22:23 AM UTC-4, jloe...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 11, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Al Christians wrote:
    also, I believe, Roy Acuff's middle name. If anyone can explain this, please do. Is this a case of persons living or dead being purely coincidental, or is there any connection not involving precognition?

TIA.

Al
    Replying to the LAST comment on the thread, the one that says:
    Daddy Claxton was an Alabama farmer at the turn of the century in rural Alabama.Most historical records say that he was Black. The railroads of that time had a monopoly on farmers crops getting to market and many lost their farms. He stole a train to
    get his crops to market and although tried, was not convicted, the jury was made up of sympathetic farmers from the area.
    The above is what I learned, too, somewhere in my past. Did you learn it from me? for instance, at https://historynewsnetwork.org/blog/152354 ? If not, then you and I both learned it independently, which is TWO sources, twice as good as one!

Jim - Terrific piece on the history - just read the article at https://historynewsnetwork.org/blog/152354 ?
    Had no idea that the piece was lovingly ripped off from the Great Rock Island Route. Also never understood why Birmingham was cold and the train seemed to be going in the wrong direction. Thanks for the education!

PS _ Anybody else remember that Robert F. Kennedy's campaign train was called the "Ruthless Cannonball," as in "Ruthless Robert Kennedy," so called because of how he tough he was as AG?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05