• Current Harmonica Players in Old Time Music

From landcommentary@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 14 09:23:27 2016
    Hi -- I play a lot of old time harmonica in bluegrass jams around the Washington DC area. My favorite players are probably David Rice from OH and Wailin' Wood from TN. Oh, and the late Irving Royal from KY -- what a great player he was!

Bill in DC

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Steve Goldfield@21:1/5 to Tin Fiddle on Thu Jan 14 17:48:24 2016
    On Monday, April 22, 2002 at 5:54:33 PM UTC-7, Tin Fiddle wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I'm new to the newsgroup. Just wanting to find out if there are any
    other old-time harmonica players out there on the list. Also wondering
    about info on current or contemporary string bands or duos using a harp player in mix - so far I've located CD stuff by Grant Dermondy, Mark
    Graham, and David Rice.

Look forward to hearing from you tin fiddle players out there.

Mark

I'm going to see Mark Graham in a house concert next week. John Schwab didn't mention that Mac Traynham plays some great harmonica on the new Sunny Mountain Serenaders CD, which I just reviewed. John plays guitar in that band.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mary.greene@ashe.k12.nc.us@21:1/5 to Tin Fiddle on Thu Feb 4 17:12:58 2016
    On Monday, April 22, 2002 at 8:54:33 PM UTC-4, Tin Fiddle wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I'm new to the newsgroup. Just wanting to find out if there are any
    other old-time harmonica players out there on the list. Also wondering about info on current or contemporary string bands or duos using a harp player in mix - so far I've located CD stuff by Grant Dermondy, Mark
    Graham, and David Rice.

Look forward to hearing from you tin fiddle players out there.

Mark

Just happened to find you folks and thought I would throw this name and video into the mix. Wailin Wood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3U0mJRzXn4
    Lots of videos of him playing. I've played old-time (piano, guitar, and mountain dulcimer) for a few decades and live in Doc Watson's home territory. I've enjoyed some fine traditional harmonica playing over the years. There used to be an older lady in
    our area that played harmonica in church and I believe she kind of swallowed it into her mouth. There was a well-known fellow who played that way too. He was at the 1982 Knoxville World's Fair Folklife Festival. I was working there and watching Mike
    Seeger do an on-the-spot kitchen table recording of him. I've been looking on Mike Seeger's archive pages trying to find this player's name and can't recognize it. I thought it was Harmonica Red or something like that - and yes, the older guy I'm
    remembering was black and probably a blues player.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05