• Len Hopkins Big Band

From dlgibbs.1961@gmail.com@21:1/5 to J.C. on Tue Oct 30 14:05:46 2018
    On Tuesday, June 13, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, J.C. wrote:
    I'm looking for any information about the Len Hopkins Orchestra -- pictures, stories, recordings (I'm asking a lot, I know!), anything. They were based in
    Ottawa, and played live radio broadcasts regularly from Edmonton in the '30s and '40s (sorry, no exact dates). Has anyone out there ever heard of them? Any info will be greatly appreciated!!

I know it has been many years since you posted the question. I recently came across a 1950 broadcast which can be found at the following link:
    http://digi.countrymusichalloffame.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/musicaudio/id/778/rec/1

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jillmst@gmail.com@21:1/5 to seama...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 15 12:40:47 2019
    On Monday, 22 June 2015 08:15:41 UTC-6, seama...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, June 13, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, J.C. wrote:
    I'm looking for any information about the Len Hopkins Orchestra -- pictures,
    stories, recordings (I'm asking a lot, I know!), anything. They were based in
    Ottawa, and played live radio broadcasts regularly from Edmonton in the '30s
    and '40s (sorry, no exact dates). Has anyone out there ever heard of them?
    Any info will be greatly appreciated!!

Wow! Just Googled Len Hopkins and found this...hope I am not too late and you are still on line and interested...and I see Carol Newton's Dad was a drummer before 1942. My Dad was the drummer after that! Jack Cook was his name. Wilf Steabner was in
    the band at that time (I noticed the 'bluenote' in your address). I have tons and tons of pictures. Dad travelled to Jasper when he was with the band, so that must have been when the broadcasts from Edmonton originated. Shereen Bowditch

Hi! Wilf was my great-uncle, I am a bassoonist and I had no idea there was anyone musical in my family tree until recently! If you have pics I'd LOVE to see them!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)