• Esther Satterfield - Anyone remember her?

From rbraglia@gmail.com@21:1/5 to John Carlos White on Mon Apr 22 09:31:34 2019
    I HEARD (second hand, third hand - no verification) but I heard that she married a preacher and retired professionally to conduct the church choir somewhere in the south.
    She had several recordings with Chuck Mangione and a few on her own. I wish i knew more or she had done more.
    I would love to know if anyone knows if the story is true or what the truth is. I wish she had done more. Her voice brings tears to my eyes.
    Robert Braglia

On Tuesday, April 4, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, John Carlos White wrote:
    She was a Jazz singer in the 70's that I grew up with. I'm
    looking to replace a really old record of hers that I have,
    with the song, "Chase the Clouds Away." Anyone have any
    clue as to what happened to her and Chuck Mangione?

I'd really like to get her stuff on CD (I've found Chuck's).

Anyone have an idea about finding stuff like this? Search
    services?

John
    --
    John White
    I'm not your whipping boy.
    johnjohn@cco.caltech.edu

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From cdenyce.davis@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 19 06:41:38 2020
    Well, she didn't marry a preacher, nor is she leading a church choir. I can guarantee that! I'm her eldest daughter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From aleandra.ryan.plasil@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 15 01:00:25 2020
    I tried to find that recording
    There was a lawsuit over rights
    Impossible to find ...hang onto it

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cateomalley77@gmail.com@21:1/5 to cdenyc...@gmail.com on Sun Apr 19 21:20:07 2020
    On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 9:41:39 AM UTC-5, cdenyc...@gmail.com wrote:
    Well, she didn't marry a preacher, nor is she leading a church choir. I can guarantee that! I'm her eldest daughter.

Dear "cdenyc@gmail.com"
    If you ever read this and you truly are Esther Satterfield's eldest daughter, I implore you to tell her from an ardent fan that her music helped me through some difficult times. "You Must Believe in Spring" is a masterpiece. I only hope she is happy
    and in a good place. Her fans think of her with great memories and admiration!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From anthonyvstanco@gmail.com@21:1/5 to cdenyc...@gmail.com on Tue May 5 18:54:17 2020

Forty years ago I heard on WRVR "if you know me any longer than tomorrow" and recorded it, wrote down the lyrics, and posted them over the bunk in my sailboat. That Spring Esther had a concert on the beach in Miami that I went to. She had such an
    incredible talent for phrasing, and her lilting vocals were simply ethereal.

I felt such regret that she stopped singing, and pain for her losing her husband.

She will remain a legend in the book of my life.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jennifer Kelly@21:1/5 to cdenyc...@gmail.com on Thu Apr 8 11:21:44 2021
    On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 6:41:39 AM UTC-8, cdenyc...@gmail.com wrote:
    Are you really her daughter? That is wonderful. Is she still alive? She still is my favorite singer ever. Jennifer Kelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vince Reardon@21:1/5 to Jennifer Kelly on Fri Sep 3 12:30:48 2021
    On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 11:21:45 AM UTC-7, Jennifer Kelly wrote:
    On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 6:41:39 AM UTC-8, cdenyc...@gmail.com wrote:
    Are you really her daughter? That is wonderful. Is she still alive? She still is my favorite singer ever. Jennifer Kelly

I saw Mangione in concert twice and bought a fair number of his albums in the 1970s. Jazz or not, I loved listening to Mangione and his band. And I regret that Esther Satterfield isn't better know. Her vocals on "Land of Make Believe" are so captivating.
    I never tire of listening to her.

Vince

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to cdenyc...@gmail.com on Sun Aug 7 07:41:27 2022
    Ok maybe everyone else missed your reply lol So please tell what your mother is up to, and let her know there are a lot of people who love her singing and wish her well

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Trisha Skinner@21:1/5 to cdenyc...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 14 20:47:20 2022
    On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 8:41:39 AM UTC-6, cdenyc...@gmail.com wrote:
    Another fan chiming in!
    I remember your mother from the 70's and I still think her voice is one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. (I've heard many and from different generations thanks to mom, dad and grandpa.)

Hopefully, Esther's gift has been passed down.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05