• Re: Smothers Brothers, need trivia answer...

From Lydia I.@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 25 23:32:13 2022
    在 2018年3月11日星期日 UTC-4 23:56:17,<robj...@gmail.com> 写道:
    This thread probably isn’t even running anymore...but I’m going to add a commemt, just in case. My uncle had numerous records of the great comedians from the 1960s (I distinctly remember The Smothers Brothers and Bob Newhart). Every once in a while,
    my dad and I go over to his house to visit him. I distinctly remember being there listening to the Smothers Brothers singing their “My Old Man” song. I swear that on the album we were listening to, there was an added verse. In THIS rendition, “
    their old man” was a n!&&er. I remember how shocked I was at the iMessage (I was only about eight or nine at the time). I would as my dad or uncle, but they both have passed on. Does anyone remember hearing this version of the song?

There is a version that they performed on their show in the 60s where Tommy starts a verse, 'My old man's a Negro...' before being interrupted, it's actually the first result that comes up on YouTube now if you search for the song: https://www.youtube.
    com/watch?v=iFVrtjUmz7c
    I'd have to say it's very unlikely they ever used the other, much more offensive n-word

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Rob Meyers@21:1/5 to Lydia I. on Tue Jan 17 21:12:44 2023
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 12:32:14 AM UTC-7, Lydia I. wrote:
    This thread probably isn’t even running anymore...but I’m going to add a commemt, just in case. My uncle had numerous records of the great comedians from the 1960s (I distinctly remember The Smothers Brothers and Bob Newhart). Every once in a
    while, my dad and I go over to his house to visit him. I distinctly remember being there listening to the Smothers Brothers singing their “My Old Man” song. I swear that on the album we were listening to, there was an added verse. In THIS rendition,
    their old man” was a n!&&er. I remember how shocked I was at the iMessage (I was only about eight or nine at the time). I would as my dad or uncle, but they both have passed on. Does anyone remember hearing this version of the song?
    There is a version that they performed on their show in the 60s where Tommy starts a verse, 'My old man's a Negro...' before being interrupted, it's actually the first result that comes up on YouTube now if you search for the song: https://www.youtube.
    com/watch?v=iFVrtjUmz7c
    I'd have to say it's very unlikely they ever used the other, much more offensive n-word

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rob Meyers@21:1/5 to Lydia I. on Tue Jan 17 21:17:13 2023
    On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 12:32:14 AM UTC-7, Lydia I. wrote:
    This thread probably isn’t even running anymore...but I’m going to add a commemt, just in case. My uncle had numerous records of the great comedians from the 1960s (I distinctly remember The Smothers Brothers and Bob Newhart). Every once in a
    while, my dad and I go over to his house to visit him. I distinctly remember being there listening to the Smothers Brothers singing their “My Old Man” song. I swear that on the album we were listening to, there was an added verse. In THIS rendition,
    com/watch?v=iFVrtjUmz7c

I heard that version too! My uncle had all of their records, and he played me that version. My jaw hit the floor. I haven’t been able to find it since, and he died years ago. I don’t know whatever became of that record. So ignore the ignorant haters;
    you are correct!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05