• Licensing question

From gill.smith.999@googlemail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 18 10:15:03 2016
    Supposing I license a piece of music to a music library.

That can't be in perpetuity, can it? i.e. do music libraries operate such things as 'reversion clauses'?

Or, if I simply want out of their library, is that a simple matter? (obviously, if they paid you a fee for your custom, I suppose they'd want that back).

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael@21:1/5 to gill.smith.999@googlemail.com on Sat Jul 23 10:52:34 2016
    On 18/07/2016 19:15, gill.smith.999@googlemail.com wrote:

That can't be in perpetuity, can it? i.e. do music libraries operate such things as 'reversion clauses'?

Or, if I simply want out of their library, is that a simple matter? (obviously, if they paid you a fee for your custom, I suppose they'd want that back).

--

That depends very much on the library. A library is not a publisher
    (although claim rights on tracks - look out for that), so I'd stay clear
    of perpetuity clauses. In practical terms, they would always need a few
    months notification to remove files from their servers and receive any
    monies from songs that were pending approval by a client, etc.

M
    http://www.a-lyric.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gilorms@outlook.com@21:1/5 to gill.sm...@googlemail.com on Tue Oct 4 06:15:46 2016
    On Monday, 18 July 2016 18:15:04 UTC+1, gill.sm...@googlemail.com wrote:

"This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal, with a one-year reversion, so please be sure the songs you pitch for this listing are NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. If they don’t place your song in 12 months, all rights go back
    to you! You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Please submit one to three Songs online or per CD, and include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by a TAXI screener handpicked by the Company and must be received no later
    than 11:59PM (PDT), on Friday, October 28th, 2016. TAXI #S161028SS"

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Oscar Levant@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 12 19:27:43 2016
    <gill.smith.999@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:9b4d140c-4823-476d-991e-f83b81bb8ea4@googlegroups.com...

--

It could be anything, just read the contract, some are, some aren't.
    Reversion clauses usually apply to exclusive contracts, where they
    revert the copyright back to you after a certain amount of time, provided
    they don't get a cut for the song ( so you'd better scrutinize just
    what the;y mean by "cut", it could be a demo, I signed a contract a long
    time ago and the "cut" was the publisher recording a demo ).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gill.smith.999@googlemail.com@21:1/5 to Oscar Levant on Thu Dec 22 05:46:34 2016
    On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 03:28:08 UTC, Oscar Levant wrote:
    <gill.smith.999@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:9b4d140c-4823-476d-991e-f83b81bb8ea4@googlegroups.com...

--

It could be anything, just read the contract, some are, some aren't. Reversion clauses usually apply to exclusive contracts, where they
    revert the copyright back to you after a certain amount of time, provided they don't get a cut for the song ( so you'd better scrutinize just
    what the;y mean by "cut", it could be a demo, I signed a contract a long time ago and the "cut" was the publisher recording a demo ).

The other thing that keeps crossing my mind is if a song is exclusively *licensed*, can it still be offered to other singers to record, put on an album etc? or is this again a case of having to read any contract, carefully.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael@21:1/5 to gill.smith.999@googlemail.com on Mon Feb 6 21:17:48 2017
    On 22/12/2016 14:46, gill.smith.999@googlemail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 03:28:08 UTC, Oscar Levant wrote:
    <gill.smith.999@googlemail.com> wrote in message
    news:9b4d140c-4823-476d-991e-f83b81bb8ea4@googlegroups.com...

That can't be in perpetuity, can it? i.e. do music libraries operate such >>> things as 'reversion clauses'?

Or, if I simply want out of their library, is that a simple matter?
    (obviously, if they paid you a fee for your custom, I suppose they'd want >>> that back).

--

It could be anything, just read the contract, some are, some aren't.
    Reversion clauses usually apply to exclusive contracts, where they
    revert the copyright back to you after a certain amount of time, provided
    they don't get a cut for the song ( so you'd better scrutinize just
    what the;y mean by "cut", it could be a demo, I signed a contract a long
    time ago and the "cut" was the publisher recording a demo ).

The other thing that keeps crossing my mind is if a song is exclusively *licensed*, can it still be offered to other singers to record, put on an album etc? or is this again a case of having to read any contract, carefully.

--

The publisher would have to give their approval (and also pick up their
    share of the subsequent proceeds).

I've never had this happen. The writers I work with don't even pitch
    songs after they get signed, figuring "it's the publisher's job". I
    disagree, but when you have partners, you also have opinions and
    attitudes. ;-)

M

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05