• Mixes using the new LUFS scale

From gill.smith.999@googlemail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 2 06:44:25 2016
    Spent best/worst part of the last three years getting my mixes so that they can compete (in the loudness war).

Now must adjust to the new LUFS audio scale which, basically, will kill off the war (or the war as we knew it).

Anyone else re-mixing with this in mind?

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ouisie@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 2 11:03:22 2016
    gill.smith.999@googlemail.com
    wrote in message
    news:9ffa7be2-9572-4e99-9901-b38372a0d501@googlegroups.com...

Spent best/worst part of the last three years getting my mixes so that
    they can compete (in the loudness war).

Now must adjust to the new LUFS audio scale which, basically, will kill
    off the war (or the war as we knew it).

--

Wow, this stuff *can* be scary, particularly insomuch as there's actually legislation behind some of it.
    While parametric standards can be a good thing, such as for designing
    greater versatility into audio equipment, they should Never be *legislated*, i.e. *imposed*, i.e. *FORCED* upon anyone!!!

It's a great idea that audio devices make a whole set of various weighting parameters, and even custom adjustments of them available on a Selectable basis, but Never without provision for Individual Choice, since Choice is
    what FREEDOM is all about, because ONE SIZE NEVER FITS ALL...even though
    there are those who believe they can Force it to...whether we want it or
    Not!!!

Attempting to FORCE the 'one-size-fits-all concept is nothing less than Tyranny, and it's a very Powerful form of Mind Control, which without a
    doubt, is the Objective in the first place. Just as Certainly as one size
    does NOT fit all, so it's also true that one Sound does NOT fit all either!

As for 'loudness wars', that is much more often than not, a Symptom of something far worse, EGO WARS.
    We've all seen, and so very unfortunately and so very often, heard it so
    very many times...in general, I just call it Poor Soundwork, no matter what
    the Lame excuse for it might be...because Good Soundwork (when used on recordings, it's called Mastering), just like Good Musicianship, Good
    Singing, and Good Songwriting, is a Genuine ART form, requiring great Skill from the practitioner, and there's NO 'magic' 'solution' to replace the
    Talent Required to do it right, just like with anything else.

Having lots of parametric Options is great but never forget that we're all Individuals, each of us totally unique, in everything, including our sonic Preferences...so always keep that in mind while exploring and experimenting
    to find the best combinations. And also always remember that so long as the sound is intended to be heard, i.e. Perceived by listeners, it's a Psychoacoustic Phenomenon, the Psychology of Sensation, and therefore just
    like any other ART form, it's a BEHOLDER situation, ALL about Individual
    Choice and Preference, and NO kind of standard can ever change that, nor
    should there ever be any effort to try lest it results in the usual outcome, accomplishing NOTHING MORE than only so much More DEPERSONALIZATION, while effectively Further DESTROYING the state of the art!

There's an excellent article on these parameters at:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/loudness/loudness-explained/

Ouisie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ouisie@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 2 18:04:25 2016
    gill.smith.999@googlemail.com
    wrote in message
    news:526744bf-8474-4477-9ef4-b7b23152fc40@googlegroups.com...

I'm beginning to wonder if the recording industry isn't secretly behind
    all this in order to re-master everything YET AGAIN.

--

The really creepy word there is *master*. Exploiting psychoacoustics to
    control people is nothing new. Sound is a powerful stimulus. There has been
    and of course still is, a lot of research going on to come up with new procedures and Tactics all the time.

The use of subliminal messages is more prevalent today than ever before and while many are used visually, there are those designed to be received by the auditory portion of the nervous system, and those are 'carried', or 'masked'
    by some kind of musical medium, and it's very likely that optimizing the conditions i.e. the 'weighting' i.e. effectively, the Equalization best conducive to the most productive results within that medium would definitely
    be a Motive for lots of research into what works best...and that would certainly explain why such 'standards' would be Legislated...if Adolf Hitler were alive today, he'd probably blush...or maybe instead say that all this
    was already planned during his lifetime!

The very concept of Music being an 'industry' is horrifying enough, because it's supposed to be MANY DIVERSE Individual Industries, Plural, not
    Singular, as in a One World, New World Order. Notice how little is said
    about that nowadays, but also notice just how Horrifically fast its Invasiveness has been Extended and Magnified. THEIR Objective: a world of Nonthinking Mindless Zombie Robots all doing the same things, thoroughly "Brainwashed, Propagandized, Conditioned, and Programmed" (as the lyrics of
    my protest song, "One-Sided Nothing" puts it). They'll use the same
    operating systems on their computers, they'll watch the same Meaningless Garbage on their *telescreens*, they'll hear the same Meaningless Garbage
    being passed off as 'music' on their crappy little sound systems and it'll
    all be EQ'd to some Legislatively Mandated 'weighting' Standard so all the Subliminal Poison gets into their Empty heads...well, at least Empty of anything Independent!

That would also explain why All genres of 'music' are so Dumbed-Down,
    limited to 3 or 4 chords at the most, with totally meaningless and/or sleazy lyrics.
    That also explains why there's so much compression being used nowadays,
    because not only does it tend to homogenize, and Monotonize the acoustic elements, it also helps guarantee that any subliminal elements are more
    easily received.

But contrast such a setting with recording a symphony orchestra, and the enormous difference between the entire orchestra's crescendo leading up to
    full volume, to then be immediately followed by something like a piccolo solo...a Major difference in the sound pressure level...but using
    compression there would totally RUIN the sound...more proof that one size
    can Never fit all.

Ouisie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gill.smith.999@googlemail.com@21:1/5 to Ouisie on Fri Sep 2 12:45:23 2016
    On Friday, 2 September 2016 17:03:28 UTC+1, Ouisie wrote:

wrote in message news:9ffa7be2-9572-4e99-9901-b38372a0d501@googlegroups.com...

Spent best/worst part of the last three years getting my mixes so that
    they can compete (in the loudness war).

Now must adjust to the new LUFS audio scale which, basically, will kill
    off the war (or the war as we knew it).

--

Wow, this stuff *can* be scary, particularly insomuch as there's actually legislation behind some of it.
    While parametric standards can be a good thing, such as for designing
    greater versatility into audio equipment, they should Never be *legislated*, i.e. *imposed*, i.e. *FORCED* upon anyone!!!

It's a great idea that audio devices make a whole set of various weighting parameters, and even custom adjustments of them available on a Selectable basis, but Never without provision for Individual Choice, since Choice is what FREEDOM is all about, because ONE SIZE NEVER FITS ALL...even though there are those who believe they can Force it to...whether we want it or Not!!!

Attempting to FORCE the 'one-size-fits-all concept is nothing less than Tyranny, and it's a very Powerful form of Mind Control, which without a doubt, is the Objective in the first place. Just as Certainly as one size does NOT fit all, so it's also true that one Sound does NOT fit all either!

As for 'loudness wars', that is much more often than not, a Symptom of something far worse, EGO WARS.
    We've all seen, and so very unfortunately and so very often, heard it so
    very many times...in general, I just call it Poor Soundwork, no matter what the Lame excuse for it might be...because Good Soundwork (when used on recordings, it's called Mastering), just like Good Musicianship, Good Singing, and Good Songwriting, is a Genuine ART form, requiring great Skill from the practitioner, and there's NO 'magic' 'solution' to replace the Talent Required to do it right, just like with anything else.

Having lots of parametric Options is great but never forget that we're all Individuals, each of us totally unique, in everything, including our sonic Preferences...so always keep that in mind while exploring and experimenting to find the best combinations. And also always remember that so long as the sound is intended to be heard, i.e. Perceived by listeners, it's a Psychoacoustic Phenomenon, the Psychology of Sensation, and therefore just like any other ART form, it's a BEHOLDER situation, ALL about Individual Choice and Preference, and NO kind of standard can ever change that, nor should there ever be any effort to try lest it results in the usual outcome, accomplishing NOTHING MORE than only so much More DEPERSONALIZATION, while effectively Further DESTROYING the state of the art!

There's an excellent article on these parameters at:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/loudness/loudness-explained/

Ouisie

I'm beginning to wonder if the recording industry isn't secretly behind all this in order to re-master everything YET AGAIN.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05