• A request - in favor of humility and reverence

From Praseed Raja Rao Miyyapuram@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 20 01:10:26 2021
    Om Namo Narayanaya.
    (Disclaimer: Adiyen is just a 12 year old student who found this post while searching for Kuchelopakhyanam. Please excuse me for any mistakes in my post)
    Sri Swathi Thirunal Rama Varma was the king of Thiruvananthapuram (Travancore, if you prefer) from 1813 to 1846. He was known for patronizing music. (Thanjavur Quartet were his court musicians) Some of his krithis were borrowed. As you all might be
    knowing there are many famous krithis like Bhavayami Raghuramam, 9 krithis on Bhakthi, Navarathri krithis, Ajamilopakhyanam, Kuchelopakhyanam, the list goes on. (There is a story that a court musician of Travancore Shatkala Govinda Marar came all the way
    to visit Sri Thyagaraja Swami, on which Swami sang 'Endaro Mahanubhaavulu') Apart from music, he was a wise administrator who introduced English medicine and education in modern-day Kerala. Perhaps that's why Kerala has the highest literacy rate in India.

Now coming to the issue of plagiarism: I don't understand why we should argue on which krithis were plagiarized. Some krithis that do not have the mudra are attributed to a composer or those which have the mudra are attributed to some other composer. Sri
    Swathi Thirunal's compositions were heavily influenced by many other composers of his time. (refer to this article https://www.karnatik.com/article013.shtml) But they weren't "copied". He himself composed many types of compositions like Krithis, Varnams,
    Javalis, Thillanas etc in Sanskrit, Telugu, Malayalam and Hindi (Vraj Bhasha), mostly on Sri AnanthaPadmanabhaSwami of Thiruvananthapuram. His mudras included Padmanabha, Sarasijanabha and Kamalanabha.
    For example, Sri Thyagaraja Swami's main disciple Manambuchavadi Venkatasubbayyar used the mudra "Venkatesha". His disciple Patnam Subbaiyar also used the same mudra. There is a controversy on who composed the Hamsadhwani varnam "Jalajaksha". I do not
    know why should we get into baseless controversies instead of listening, learning and appreciating the compositions. Let us all become good rasikas. Thank you
    Om Namo Narayanaya

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From luzchurch@21:1/5 to Praseed Raja Rao Miyyapuram on Wed Jun 23 14:57:56 2021
    On Sunday, June 20, 2021 at 4:10:28 AM UTC-4, Praseed Raja Rao Miyyapuram wrote:
    Om Namo Narayanaya.
    (Disclaimer: Adiyen is just a 12 year old student who found this post while searching for Kuchelopakhyanam. Please excuse me for any mistakes in my post)
    Sri Swathi Thirunal Rama Varma was the king of Thiruvananthapuram (Travancore, if you prefer) from 1813 to 1846. He was known for patronizing music. (Thanjavur Quartet were his court musicians) Some of his krithis were borrowed. As you all might be
    knowing there are many famous krithis like Bhavayami Raghuramam, 9 krithis on Bhakthi, Navarathri krithis, Ajamilopakhyanam, Kuchelopakhyanam, the list goes on. (There is a story that a court musician of Travancore Shatkala Govinda Marar came all the way
    to visit Sri Thyagaraja Swami, on which Swami sang 'Endaro Mahanubhaavulu') Apart from music, he was a wise administrator who introduced English medicine and education in modern-day Kerala. Perhaps that's why Kerala has the highest literacy rate in India.

Now coming to the issue of plagiarism: I don't understand why we should argue on which krithis were plagiarized. Some krithis that do not have the mudra are attributed to a composer or those which have the mudra are attributed to some other composer.
    Sri Swathi Thirunal's compositions were heavily influenced by many other composers of his time. (refer to this article https://www.karnatik.com/article013.shtml) But they weren't "copied". He himself composed many types of compositions like Krithis,
    Varnams, Javalis, Thillanas etc in Sanskrit, Telugu, Malayalam and Hindi (Vraj Bhasha), mostly on Sri AnanthaPadmanabhaSwami of Thiruvananthapuram. His mudras included Padmanabha, Sarasijanabha and Kamalanabha.
    For example, Sri Thyagaraja Swami's main disciple Manambuchavadi Venkatasubbayyar used the mudra "Venkatesha". His disciple Patnam Subbaiyar also used the same mudra. There is a controversy on who composed the Hamsadhwani varnam "Jalajaksha". I do not
    know why should we get into baseless controversies instead of listening, learning and appreciating the compositions. Let us all become good rasikas. Thank you
    Om Namo Narayanaya
    Chodavarapu S.Ramarao mentioned that jnAma mosagarAdA is not a genuine Tyagaraja krti (as per TRS). I would also point out that TRS himself plagerized the behAg varANA vanajAkSa ninne by Vinai Kuppier. Those who question this statement can get the two
    notations from me and do the comparison.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From luzchurch@21:1/5 to Praseed Raja Rao Miyyapuram on Wed Jun 23 14:50:32 2021
    On Sunday, June 20, 2021 at 4:10:28 AM UTC-4, Praseed Raja Rao Miyyapuram wrote:
    Om Namo Narayanaya.

Now coming to the issue of plagiarism: I don't understand why we should argue on which krithis were plagiarized. Some krithis that do not have the mudra are attributed to a composer or those which have the mudra are attributed to some other composer.
    Sri Swathi Thirunal's compositions were heavily influenced by many other composers of his time. (refer to this article https://www.karnatik.com/article013.shtml) But they weren't "copied". He himself composed many types of compositions like Krithis,
    Varnams, Javalis, Thillanas etc in Sanskrit, Telugu, Malayalam and Hindi (Vraj Bhasha), mostly on Sri AnanthaPadmanabhaSwami of Thiruvananthapuram. His mudras included Padmanabha, Sarasijanabha and Kamalanabha.
    Om Namo Narayanaya

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05