• Raga Marwa - "Are Jag Baawre"

From whatizit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Sanjeev Ramabhadran on Wed Jul 1 13:20:30 2020
    On Tuesday, March 2, 2004 at 3:16:10 PM UTC-7, Sanjeev Ramabhadran wrote:
    "Nachiketa Sharma" <nachiketasharma@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:796e5e45.0403011657.7ea3a172@posting.google.com...

Thanks Nachiketa. These are pretty close to what I was taught as well - anybody have a translation handy?

Sanjeev

Hi Sanjeev,

From what I know, the essence of the meaning is that
    Adarang is preaching to a vagabond (or, in a larger sense,
    one who is ignorant of the ways of God; he could be
    having himself in mind here of course) and he emphasises
    greatly that there is nobody else but Him on whom he,
    the subject, can depend.

Thanks again - that makes sense, even from the Asthayi alone. I guess I was fishing for more details of the Antara. This bandish seems to be elusive in that respect. Let's see if we get any more takers on this thread.

Sanjeev

Glad I bumped into this post. I learnt this bandish a long ago yet the original words and the meaning haunted me. So thank you for posting both!!

On the other hand, if I could ask for the favor of re-porting the words in Hindi - it would be more helpful to pronounce it correctly.

And of course, if someone could post a link to Amir Khan sahab's recording mentioned above, it would be a treat!

Marwa - the reason I got into classical music.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From luzchurch@21:1/5 to Sanjeev Ramabhadran on Wed Jul 1 15:27:47 2020
    On Sunday, February 29, 2004 at 7:43:49 PM UTC-5, Sanjeev Ramabhadran wrote:
    RMICers-

Can anyone confirm the lyrics to this bada khayal? The asthayi is fairly straightforward, something like:

Are Jag Baawre, Karam Jo Kare Sohi Allah

but the Antara (which begins "Kahat Adaarang") is filled with Persian words...

Any help?

Sanjeev

A 54 minute recording is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ozkb93hiA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From whatizit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to luzchurch on Wed Jul 1 21:40:35 2020
    On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 4:27:50 PM UTC-6, luzchurch wrote:
    On Sunday, February 29, 2004 at 7:43:49 PM UTC-5, Sanjeev Ramabhadran wrote:
    RMICers-

Can anyone confirm the lyrics to this bada khayal? The asthayi is fairly straightforward, something like:

Are Jag Baawre, Karam Jo Kare Sohi Allah

but the Antara (which begins "Kahat Adaarang") is filled with Persian words...

Any help?

Sanjeev

A 54 minute recording is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ozkb93hiA

🙏🙏🙏

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05