• Artists by rAgA...

From k7.srivatsan@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Venkatesh Padmanabhan on Tue Feb 25 14:55:41 2020
    On Thursday, August 6, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Venkatesh Padmanabhan wrote:
    Continuing on the Top 10 theme, I'd like to invite members to post their 10 best liked rAgAs and the artist who best presents that rAgA. I have my own list below. Unfortunately, I was never exposed to Semmangudi's music. I have taken steps though to procure some cassettes of his. I am however a big fan of MMI. So, here goes:

kAmbhOji: 1. mAjAnaki - MMI. He owns the rAgA, period.
    2. kAna kann kOdi vEndum - TV Sankaranarayanan. I think
    it runs in the family.

SankarAbharanam: 1.sarOjadalanEtri himagiri puthri - MS Subbulakshmi at Carnegie Hall(??). That AlApanai was so complete and exhillirating.
    2.yArO yendrennAmalE - Maharajapuram Santhanam. He eases into the song in such a manner that you know you're in for a treat.

Bhairavi: 1.koluvai - Madurai Mani Iyer's. Need I say more?
    2.eenAti nOmu phalamO - MSS. The charanam sundarEsha suguna brinda is a beauty especially with TK Murthy's mridangam.

thOdi: 1.dAsarathi - KV Narayanaswamy. He brings out the depth of the
    rAgA in this rendition.
    2.thAyE yashOdE - MMI. A different kind of treatment of thOdi, pacy and full of brighA but enthralling nonetheless.

ranjani: 1.durmArgacha - MMI. How can he just breathe/hum and the rAgA flows out like the Niagara in Spring?
    2.?????

MadhyamAvati: 1.pAlinsu kAmAkshi pAvani - Lalgudi Jayaraman. Wow! Listen to the AlApanai and you'll know why. GJR keeps on Ri and Lalgudi takes off on the journey.
    2.pAlinsu kAmAkshi pAvani - MSS. Again, TK Murthy's mridangam is excellent.

mOhanam: 1.yEn palli kondeer ayyA(first section of the rAgamAlikai) - NC Vasanthakokilam. What a voice!! You can feel the beauty of the rAgA in just first line of the krithi. It's a pity that no one sings the krithis that she sang and a greater pity that she died young. I rate her better than MSS, DKP and MLV(Sorry, but I just can't imagine anyone else with such a great
    voice!)
    2.mOhana rAmA - MMI. Such a swaraprasthAram in mOhanam. Never heard anything like that.

kalyAni: 1.bhajarE raghu veeram - KV Narayanaswamy. I chanced upon
    his recording in France and it's a beauty.
    2.vAsudEva yani - MLV. Very crisply rendered. Typical MLV.

keeravAni: 1.kaligiyuntE - KVN. What a neraval! Masterfully done!
    2.?????

karaharapriyA: 1.sakkani rAja - MMI. What a swaram at kanTiki sundara.
    2.samAnamevarO - Lalgudi Jayaraman. I have this piece with Veena/Venu/Violin, y'know with Ramani et al. Beautiful,
    especially at the start of the AlApanai.

So that's my list. I've restricted myself to ghana rAgAs. Can't wait to see your responses.
    Regards,
    Venkat.

Hi Venkat,

Any chance you could share the Kalyani piece Bhajare Raghuveeram by KVN from the France recording you say? I'm a huge fan of Shri KVN and want to hear ore of his concerts from abroad.

I have never come across it and would love to hear it.

Thank you in advance,
    Kesha

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)