• A Tribute to Jeff Becker, A Great Guitar Teacher

From thowe396@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 25 09:13:50 2020
    Crazy reading this in 2020. I was a student of Jeffs for a year maybe year and a half right up to the end when he was teaching out of his home. Although I was only able to study with him for a short time his impact on my view of guitar and music in
    general. After he passed I kind of lost direction in my playing and was stuck in a rut for a long time. Recently I have really been making a push to really learn again and find that all the you tube videos in the world can not match Jeffs lessons, his
    patients and ability to make you understand was unmatched. I thought all the notes and everything were lost in a move but just last week found out that my mom has all of them (she was a student as well). I will always remember being in his basement
    waiting room complete with massive stacks of guitar magazines and a Headstrong poster on the wall. Truly an inspirational teacher and great guy. I'm glad to see his legacy lives on with so many people.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From paul23stockert@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 26 20:06:07 2020
    I was probably one of his earliest students I think he was recording in Philly with Headstrong - he was probably 22 or so when I started taking lessons in 1971 - I was 10. Before I left for college I expanded my half hour lesson to an hour for a year or
    so. I returned one summer and took lessens too - he got mad at me for not being prepared (lack of practice that week), so I stopped the lessons. I moved out of the area in the 1980's after college, but my parents still live near by - I drove by his old
    studio above Ronnie's deli in the 1990's and his sign was gone. I'm glad he was still teaching at that point. I too have my notes from Jeff Becker - written on the backs of some scraps of paper or vellum - they are 40 to 45 years old. I recently bought
    a a real amp having, sold my Music Man monster 25 years ago. I think of him sometimes when I pick up the guitar. Having taken a 25+ year pause, I now try to play every day. Pure joy!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kevin O'Brien@21:1/5 to paul23s...@gmail.com on Tue Aug 31 04:03:04 2021
    On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 11:06:09 PM UTC-4, paul23s...@gmail.com wrote:
    I was probably one of his earliest students I think he was recording in Philly with Headstrong - he was probably 22 or so when I started taking lessons in 1971 - I was 10. Before I left for college I expanded my half hour lesson to an hour for a year
    or so. I returned one summer and took lessens too - he got mad at me for not being prepared (lack of practice that week), so I stopped the lessons. I moved out of the area in the 1980's after college, but my parents still live near by - I drove by his
    old studio above Ronnie's deli in the 1990's and his sign was gone. I'm glad he was still teaching at that point. I too have my notes from Jeff Becker - written on the backs of some scraps of paper or vellum - they are 40 to 45 years old. I recently
    bought a a real amp having, sold my Music Man monster 25 years ago. I think of him sometimes when I pick up the guitar. Having taken a 25+ year pause, I now try to play every day. Pure joy!!
    Does anyone ever dream about Jeff? I still do sometimes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Esposito@21:1/5 to robz...@aol.com on Wed Mar 16 07:53:06 2022
    On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 2:10:12 AM UTC-4, robz...@aol.com wrote:
    Hello Group,

My name is Rob and I stumbled upon this post about an hour ago!!! i AM Jeff Becker's nephew (my mom is his sister!!!) I thank everyone for all your kinds words about him as he was a very loving and caring person/uncle to his family, friends and his
    students and is GREATLY MISSED!!! He passed away on June 25, 2002 at the young age of 53 from lung cancer!!! When my uncle Jeff was younger, he and his brother (my other uncle) formed his own band called Headstrong, i believe in the 1970's and played in
    many gigs over the years!!! I obviously have pictures and videos of him!!! I will have to go through them someday and maybe post a picture on here for you all to see!!!

~Rob
    Hi Rob I was a student of your uncle and went to see Headstrong once ,did you ever go through those pics or tapes , would love to see or hear. Thanks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gtr@21:1/5 to Tom Esposito on Fri Mar 18 03:00:57 2022
    On Mar 16, 2022 at 7:53:06 AM PDT, "Tom Esposito" <mespos38@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 2:10:12 AM UTC-4, robz...@aol.com wrote:
    Hello Group,

My name is Rob and I stumbled upon this post about an hour ago!!! i AM Jeff >> Becker's nephew (my mom is his sister!!!) I thank everyone for all your kinds
    words about him as he was a very loving and caring person/uncle to his
    family, friends and his students and is GREATLY MISSED!!! He passed away on >> June 25, 2002 at the young age of 53 from lung cancer!!! When my uncle Jeff >> was younger, he and his brother (my other uncle) formed his own band called >> Headstrong, i believe in the 1970's and played in many gigs over the years!!!
    I obviously have pictures and videos of him!!! I will have to go through them
    someday and maybe post a picture on here for you all to see!!!

~Rob
    Hi Rob I was a student of your uncle and went to see Headstrong once ,did you ever go through those pics or tapes , would love to see or hear. Thanks

That jpost is from seven years ago, Tom. I recommend sending your email directlly to his aol address, if you can see the full email address.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05