• Re: More European Jazz Guitarists

From morris bailey@21:1/5 to RobinsonCHAZZ on Sat Jun 17 04:11:17 2023
    On Sunday, October 22, 2000 at 8:18:07 PM UTC-4, RobinsonCHAZZ wrote:
    <<
    What about Eef Albers (NL)?
    Laurens
    Does he fit the profile that I mentioned?
    "RobinsonCHAZZ" <robins...@aol.com> wrote in message news:20001018232917...@ng-cj1.aol.com...

<< "Dick
    Onstenk"
    <d.on...@chello.nl> wrote

<< Any new players I should know about? >>
    When I was in Paris 4yrs. ago I heard a guitarist at a club called "Les
    Ducs
    des Lombards". He was working with Anthony Di Battista and Palle
    Danielson. He
    played a solid body Chet Atkins nylon string and was one of the most
    original
    players that I have heard in years
    but I only caught his last name which I think was Veras but I'm not
    certain
    about that. He appeared to be in his early twenties. Since my return I
    have not
    been able to get any information about this player. It is possible that I
    have
    the name wrong but it seems like someone over there would have some
    information
    on a young dark haired kid who is playing classical fingerstyle with
    players of
    the stature of those mentioned previously. CR

this article was so useful. thankx to you all. any other guitarist info would be useful.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From gtr@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 18 06:15:56 2023
    On Jun 17, 2023 at 4:11:17 AM PDT, "morris bailey" <superbadhip@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, October 22, 2000 at 8:18:07 PM UTC-4, RobinsonCHAZZ wrote:
    <<> What about Eef Albers (NL)?
    Laurens
    Does he fit the profile that I mentioned?
    "RobinsonCHAZZ" <robins...@aol.com> wrote in message
    news:20001018232917...@ng-cj1.aol.com...

<< "Dick> Onstenk"

When I was in Paris 4yrs. ago I heard a guitarist at a club called "Les Ducs
    des Lombards". He was working with Anthony Di Battista and Palle Danielson. >>> He played a solid body Chet Atkins nylon string and was one of the most
    originalplayers that I have heard in years
    but I only caught his last name which I think was Veras but I'm not certain >>> about that. He appeared to be in his early twenties. Since my return I have not
    been able to get any information about this player. It is possible that I have
    the name wrong but it seems like someone over there would have some
    information on a young dark haired kid who is playing classical fingerstyle >>> with players of the stature of those mentioned previously. CR

this article was so useful. thankx to you all. any other guitarist info would be useful.

Nelson Veras.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Grafikjam@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 28 23:35:11 2023
    Le jeudi 19 octobre 2000 à 05:29:17 UTC+2, RobinsonCHAZZ a écrit :
    << "Dick
    Onstenk"
    When I was in Paris 4yrs. ago I heard a guitarist at a club called "Les Ducs des Lombards". He was working with Anthony Di Battista and Palle Danielson. He
    played a solid body Chet Atkins nylon string and was one of the most original players that I have heard in years
    but I only caught his last name which I think was Veras but I'm not certain about that. He appeared to be in his early twenties. Since my return I have not
    been able to get any information about this player. It is possible that I have
    the name wrong but it seems like someone over there would have some information
    on a young dark haired kid who is playing classical fingerstyle with players of
    the stature of those mentioned previously. CR

This is Nelson Veras. a great brazilian guitarist settled in france for a long time.
    His last album was recorded with Jonathan Kreisberg.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeNfuO3Iusw

Franck Cassenti made a documentary on Pat Metheny at the jazz festival in Marciac (France). He arranged a meeting with Veras who was 14 at the time... They play a blues in the dressing room... Great
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bFr6_8Hfkw

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Grafikjam@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 28 23:41:36 2023
    Le samedi 7 octobre 2000 à 09:00:00 UTC+2, Dick Onstenk a écrit :
    Hi gang,
    I'd like to extend the thread on European Jazz guitarists a bit here if you don't mind. I mentioned Jesse van Ruller earlier, the Rosenbergs, and Jan Akkerman. Obviously these are all Dutch players.
    Two Belguim players I absolutely dig are Rene Thomas and Philip Catherine. Rene made a great classic Jazz guitar recording in 1960 "Guitar Groove" that is outstanding and a super classic. It is one of the few albums that even merits a 4 star review in the Penguin Guide to Jazz (LOL). One of my
    favorite Jazz Guitar Cds. Rene died as early as 1974.
    Philip Catherine is another great Jazz hero from Belgium. Most expressive Jazz player with a distinct style. I guess you guys know him across the
    pond? He worked with Chet Baker and Tom Harrell.
    What about Scandinavian and German Jazz guitar playing? I must admit I don't know too many from these regions.
    From Britain I know Martin Taylor and Louis Stewart but I guess there must
    be many more...
    And let's not forget the French. Are they known in the States? Bireli Lagrene, Philippe Petit, Christian Escoude etc? I mean, these guys are
    famous over here. Any new players I should know about?
    Greetings from Holland,
    Dick
    http://livejazzatthecrow.iuma.com

In France Antoine Boyer is incredible. He plays as well jazz, gypsy jazz or classical...
    In Italy Matteo Mancuso is just ouaouh ! ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05