• Re: Is Jazz Guitar playing boring to non-guitarists?

From Marc St-Jean@21:1/5 to Dick Onstenk on Tue Jan 24 08:09:42 2023
    On Friday, September 29, 2000 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+2, Dick Onstenk wrote:
    Hi gang,
    My favorite Jazz CD reference book is the the "Penguin Guide to Jazz CDs".
    It is an important and fantastic guide to purchasing Jazz CDs with really knowledgeable reviews of all current and classic Jazz Cds. You will find any Jazz guitar player in it (well, most of 'm anyway). What strikes me is that instances of 4 star reviews - the rating for important and challenging Jazz albums - of Jazz guitar CDs are very, very rare. Maybe just a handful of classic recordings. Usually the reviewers find the guitarist in question (be it Martin Taylor, Jimmy Bruno, Peter Leitch or Bruce Forman) to be
    ruminating material that has been done better by Django, Wes or Tal anyway. It seems to me the whole guitar thing is depicted as a rather unimportant branche in Jazz that is of marginal interest only. Modern players are
    usually presented as "more of the same."
    In addition, I encounter this attitude in my national Jazz Magazine all the time. Jazz guitar is cool but hey, don't take them Wes clones too seriously. Martin Taylor's latest album "Kiss and Tell" was reviewed as follows: "However his playing is pure craftsmanship only. It is dull. His music is like a nice meal in an utterly boring restaurant. It all makes sense ....
    but it makes you yawn."
    I find this quote very characteristic of a Jazz guitar album review.
    Also in Jazz literature (which I read a lot) the guitar is usually depicted as a side-instrument and a generally not-so- interesting development of
    Jazz.
    What's going on? Are my heroes all playing the same ole' shit all the time? Is Mainstream Jazz guitar that repetitive, predictable and boring to non-guitarists? Are we all just marginal side-men in the Jazz show?
    Any views on this?
    Greetings from Holland,
    Dick

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Marc St-Jean@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 24 08:25:56 2023
    Pretty much spot on assessment, I would say. Guitar does not lend itself particularly well to harmonic innovation partly because of the way it is often learned and the well documented short falls in general musicianship of guitar players compared to
    keyboard players, for example, particularly in jazz. This leads to a lot of muscle memory playing and imitation stressing the technical aspects of cliched pattern playing. It is mind boggling to see how many utube videos are dedicated to jazz guitar
    playing and instruction based on "jazz standards" that have already been recorded and performed by brilliant, innovative artists for close to 100 years. I can't imagine many non-guitar players have any interest in it and wonder what is the motivation to
    be a "jazz guitar" player. There's lots of other music, inherent to the instrument's history that seems more pleasant to my ears, even though I have played guitar for a very long time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gtr@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 25 02:08:23 2023
    On Jan 24, 2023 at 8:25:56 AM PST, "Marc St-Jean" <baxter9944@gmail.com>
    wrote:

Pretty much spot on assessment, I would say. Guitar does not lend itself particularly well to harmonic innovation partly because of the way it is often
    learned and the well documented short falls in general musicianship of guitar players compared to keyboard players, for example, particularly in jazz.

I disagree; I think it is well suited to harmonic innovation, particularly since it is capable of harmonic innovation unlike wind instruments, for example.

I know of no "well documented" shortfalls in general musicianship of guitar players that doesn't apply to any other instrument.

This leads to a lot of muscle memory playing and imitation stressing the technical aspects of cliched pattern playing.

Share by all other jazz musicians, who are no more or less "creative" with every breath.

It is mind boggling to see how many utube videos are dedicated to jazz guitar playing and instruction based on "jazz standards" that have already been recorded and performed by brilliant, innovative artists for close to 100 years.

You think they should use non-standard tunes to illustrate various concepts? I can't imagine that would make ideas easier to learn.

I can't imagine many non-guitar players have any interest in it and wonder what is the motivation to be a "jazz guitar" player.

What's the motivation to be a clarinet player?

There's lots of other music, inherent to the instrument's history that seems more pleasant to my ears, even though I have played guitar for a very long time.

Apparently there are the ears of others to consider, and they have made other choices--who could have imagined?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Russ L@21:1/5 to gtr on Sat Sep 9 15:27:12 2023
    On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 6:08:26 PM UTC-8, gtr wrote:
    On Jan 24, 2023 at 8:25:56 AM PST, "Marc St-Jean" <baxte...@xyzDOTxyz> wrote:
    Pretty much spot on assessment, I would say. Guitar does not lend itself particularly well to harmonic innovation partly because of the way it is often
    learned and the well documented short falls in general musicianship of guitar
    players compared to keyboard players, for example, particularly in jazz.
    I disagree; I think it is well suited to harmonic innovation, particularly since it is capable of harmonic innovation unlike wind instruments, for example.

I know of no "well documented" shortfalls in general musicianship of guitar players that doesn't apply to any other instrument.
    This leads to a lot of muscle memory playing and imitation stressing the technical aspects of cliched pattern playing.
    Share by all other jazz musicians, who are no more or less "creative" with every breath.
    It is mind boggling to see how many utube videos are dedicated to jazz guitar
    playing and instruction based on "jazz standards" that have already been recorded and performed by brilliant, innovative artists for close to 100 years.
    You think they should use non-standard tunes to illustrate various concepts? I
    can't imagine that would make ideas easier to learn.
    I can't imagine many non-guitar players have any interest in it and wonder what is the motivation to be a "jazz guitar" player.
    There's lots of other music, inherent to the instrument's history that seems
    more pleasant to my ears, even though I have played guitar for a very long time.
    Apparently there are the ears of others to consider, and they have made other
    choices--who could have imagined?
    There is a tendency and history of guitarists looking at harmony as "chunks" of sound rather than independent voices, due in part to the geography of the fretboard and the guitar's transposable nature, not to mention the guitar's "outsider" status, where
    guitarists learn and develope in a seemingly parallel universe, blissfully unaware of the instruments potential.
    This doesn't mean that the guitar isn't capable of being used to play beautiful voice-leading and contrapuntal ideas, open and spread voicings, etc.

Off topic - this place looks to have calmed down a little. Hope it's not my imagination.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gtr@21:1/5 to Russ L on Mon Sep 11 06:45:48 2023
    On Sep 9, 2023 at 3:27:12 PM PDT, "Russ L" <russ.bkitchen@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jan 24, 2023 at 8:25:56 AM PST, "Marc St-Jean" <baxte...@xyzDOTxyz>
    wrote:
    Pretty much spot on assessment, I would say. Guitar does not lend itself >>> particularly well to harmonic innovation partly because of the way it is often
    I disagree; I think it is well suited to harmonic innovation, particularly >> since it is capable of harmonic innovation unlike wind instruments, for
    example.

I know of no "well documented" shortfalls in general musicianship of guitar >> players that doesn't apply to any other instrument.
    This leads to a lot of muscle memory playing and imitation stressing the >>> technical aspects of cliched pattern playing.
    Share by all other jazz musicians, who are no more or less "creative" with >> every breath.
    playing and instruction based on "jazz standards" that have already been >>> recorded and performed by brilliant, innovative artists for close to 100 >>> years.
    I can't imagine many non-guitar players have any interest in it and wonder >>> what is the motivation to be a "jazz guitar" player.
    more pleasant to my ears, even though I have played guitar for a very long >>> time.
    There is a tendency and history of guitarists looking at harmony as "chunks" of sound rather than independent voices, due in part to the geography of the fretboard and the guitar's transposable nature, not to mention the guitar's "outsider" status, where guitarists learn and develope in a seemingly parallel
    universe, blissfully unaware of the instruments potential.

Harmony is chunks of sound. Regarding the conceptualization of voice leading,
    I don't think pianists, accordionaists, or harpists are any less inclined to consider chords as static items in a series. In general I don't think they think of each finger like a differen horn in a section.

This doesn't mean that the guitar isn't capable of being used to play beautiful voice-leading and contrapuntal ideas, open and spread voicings, etc.

Off topic - this place looks to have calmed down a little. Hope it's not my imagination.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ottavio Caruso@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 11 09:35:07 2023
    Am 09/09/2023 um 22:27 schrieb Russ L:
    wrote:
    Pretty much spot on assessment, I would say. Guitar does not lend itself >>> particularly well to harmonic innovation partly because of the way it is often
    I disagree; I think it is well suited to harmonic innovation, particularly >> since it is capable of harmonic innovation unlike wind instruments, for
    example.

I know of no "well documented" shortfalls in general musicianship of guitar >> players that doesn't apply to any other instrument.
    This leads to a lot of muscle memory playing and imitation stressing the >>> technical aspects of cliched pattern playing.
    Share by all other jazz musicians, who are no more or less "creative" with >> every breath.
    playing and instruction based on "jazz standards" that have already been >>> recorded and performed by brilliant, innovative artists for close to 100 >>> years.
    I can't imagine many non-guitar players have any interest in it and wonder >>> what is the motivation to be a "jazz guitar" player.
    more pleasant to my ears, even though I have played guitar for a very long >>> time.
    There is a tendency and history of guitarists looking at harmony as "chunks" of sound rather than independent voices, due in part to the geography of the fretboard and the guitar's transposable nature, not to mention the guitar's "outsider" status,
    where guitarists learn and develope in a seemingly parallel universe, blissfully unaware of the instruments potential.

My 2 pence on this. I recently subscribed to this NG so I might have
    missed chunks of this thread.

But I agree with the title " Is Jazz Guitar playing boring to
    non-guitarists?".

I used to be a mediocre jazz guitarist and I boy I loved it, but now, in
    my mid 50s, I find it extremely boring and full of unnecessary
    virtuosism (I blame the Django revival for this).

This has led me to start afresh with the tenor guitar. Having only 4
    strings and being tuned in 5ths, it makes you think at focussing on the essentials (melody, harmony or both).

The world needs a 5-string guitar tuned in 5ths. The original Italian
    guitar was indeed only 5 strings.

--
    Ottavio Caruso

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gtr@21:1/5 to ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com on Wed Sep 13 22:51:12 2023
    On Sep 11, 2023 at 2:35:07 AM PDT, "Ottavio Caruso" <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

wrote:
    Pretty much spot on assessment, I would say. Guitar does not lend itself >>>> particularly well to harmonic innovation partly because of the way it is often
    players compared to keyboard players, for example, particularly in jazz. >>> I disagree; I think it is well suited to harmonic innovation, particularly >>> since it is capable of harmonic innovation unlike wind instruments, for
    example.

I know of no "well documented" shortfalls in general musicianship of guitar >>> players that doesn't apply to any other instrument.
    This leads to a lot of muscle memory playing and imitation stressing the >>>> technical aspects of cliched pattern playing.
    Share by all other jazz musicians, who are no more or less "creative" with >>> every breath.
    playing and instruction based on "jazz standards" that have already been >>>> recorded and performed by brilliant, innovative artists for close to 100 >>>> years.
    I can't imagine many non-guitar players have any interest in it and wonder >>>> what is the motivation to be a "jazz guitar" player.
    more pleasant to my ears, even though I have played guitar for a very long >>>> time.
    There is a tendency and history of guitarists looking at harmony as "chunks" >> of sound rather than independent voices, due in part to the geography of the >> fretboard and the guitar's transposable nature, not to mention the guitar's >> "outsider" status, where guitarists learn and develope in a seemingly
    parallel universe, blissfully unaware of the instruments potential.
    This doesn't mean that the guitar isn't capable of being used to play
    beautiful voice-leading and contrapuntal ideas, open and spread voicings,
    etc.

Off topic - this place looks to have calmed down a little. Hope it's not my >> imagination.

My 2 pence on this. I recently subscribed to this NG so I might have
    missed chunks of this thread.

Nope, it's all here in this thread.

But I agree with the title " Is Jazz Guitar playing boring to non-guitarists?".

I used to be a mediocre jazz guitarist and I boy I loved it, but now, in
    my mid 50s, I find it extremely boring and full of unnecessary

This has led me to start afresh with the tenor guitar. Having only 4
    strings and being tuned in 5ths, it makes you think at focussing on the essentials (melody, harmony or both).

The world needs a 5-string guitar tuned in 5ths. The original Italian
    guitar was indeed only 5 strings.

There were many predecessors and "originals", including the lute and oud. I
    use to play the Puerto Rican Cuatro (curiously five courses for a total of 5 strings). All these instruments have their positive qualities, and virtuoso proponents.

As a response to the "boredom" of virtousitiy (there's a contradiction!), I'm reminded that everybody brings their own version of "boredom" with them. I blame nothing on Django and love most of his work, but I weary of the narrow dynamic and melodic range of his many imitators as I do the sometimes purely athletic skills of all instrumentalists when that's all they pursue: dazzling the audience with acrobatics.

With each passing year I have more admiration for music of the 20s through the 40s, most of which others find "boring" for any number of reasons. I love old songs done well, and the old material still lives for very good reasons, while the "repertoire" of modern jazz musicians seems to vanish almost immediately. Go figure.

Nevertheless I support your highly individual goal.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Russ L@21:1/5 to gtr on Mon Nov 13 23:14:01 2023
    On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 3:51:17 PM UTC-7, gtr wrote:
    On Sep 11, 2023 at 2:35:07 AM PDT, "Ottavio Caruso" <ottavREDACTED...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    On Jan 24, 2023 at 8:25:56 AM PST, "Marc St-Jean" <baxte...@xyzDOTxyz> >>> wrote:
    Pretty much spot on assessment, I would say. Guitar does not lend itself
    particularly well to harmonic innovation partly because of the way it is often
    I disagree; I think it is well suited to harmonic innovation, particularly
    since it is capable of harmonic innovation unlike wind instruments, for >>> example.

I know of no "well documented" shortfalls in general musicianship of guitar
    players that doesn't apply to any other instrument.
    This leads to a lot of muscle memory playing and imitation stressing the
    technical aspects of cliched pattern playing.
    Share by all other jazz musicians, who are no more or less "creative" with
    every breath.
    playing and instruction based on "jazz standards" that have already been
    recorded and performed by brilliant, innovative artists for close to 100
    years.
    I can't imagine many non-guitar players have any interest in it and wonder
    what is the motivation to be a "jazz guitar" player.
    more pleasant to my ears, even though I have played guitar for a very long
    time.
    There is a tendency and history of guitarists looking at harmony as "chunks"
    of sound rather than independent voices, due in part to the geography of the
    fretboard and the guitar's transposable nature, not to mention the guitar's
    "outsider" status, where guitarists learn and develope in a seemingly
    parallel universe, blissfully unaware of the instruments potential.
    This doesn't mean that the guitar isn't capable of being used to play
    beautiful voice-leading and contrapuntal ideas, open and spread voicings, >> etc.

Off topic - this place looks to have calmed down a little. Hope it's not my
    imagination.

My 2 pence on this. I recently subscribed to this NG so I might have missed chunks of this thread.

Nope, it's all here in this thread.

But I agree with the title " Is Jazz Guitar playing boring to non-guitarists?".

I used to be a mediocre jazz guitarist and I boy I loved it, but now, in my mid 50s, I find it extremely boring and full of unnecessary

This has led me to start afresh with the tenor guitar. Having only 4 strings and being tuned in 5ths, it makes you think at focussing on the essentials (melody, harmony or both).

The world needs a 5-string guitar tuned in 5ths. The original Italian guitar was indeed only 5 strings.

There were many predecessors and "originals", including the lute and oud. I use to play the Puerto Rican Cuatro (curiously five courses for a total of 5 strings). All these instruments have their positive qualities, and virtuoso proponents.

As a response to the "boredom" of virtousitiy (there's a contradiction!), I'm
    reminded that everybody brings their own version of "boredom" with them. I blame nothing on Django and love most of his work, but I weary of the narrow dynamic and melodic range of his many imitators as I do the sometimes purely athletic skills of all instrumentalists when that's all they pursue: dazzling
    the audience with acrobatics.

With each passing year I have more admiration for music of the 20s through the
    40s, most of which others find "boring" for any number of reasons. I love old
    songs done well, and the old material still lives for very good reasons, while
    the "repertoire" of modern jazz musicians seems to vanish almost immediately.
    Go figure.

Nevertheless I support your highly individual goal.
    I think this is the oldest thread I've ever posted to - by a lot.
    Hunanity had just gotten over the Y2K hysteria when this thread started.
    This has got to be the oldest thread I've ever posted to.
    Humanity was just getting over the Y2K hysteria when this baby started.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05