• Jay Carlson

From Jay David@21:1/5 to Dom Minasi on Sat Sep 4 14:00:55 2021
    On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 3:52:48 AM UTC-5, Dom Minasi wrote:
    On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 3:19:52 PM UTC-5, pmfan57 wrote:
    Anyone know what Jay is up to.

Joe
    Ran into him a few years ago. I think he became a computer something

I'm alive which I guess is the most important thing. Living in Miami now. I injured my wrist many years ago and had to switch careers. it was a drag but you gotta do what you can. Hey, I love what I do now, but I do miss playing and teaching music of
    course. I might just buy a flugelhorn... I started off as a trumpet player as a kid which I guess helped becoming a left-handed guitar player (with the right-hand fingers doing the fancy fingerboard stuff). I lust don't know how tolerant my GF would be
    with me playing a horn in the house.
    Jay

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From James Seaberry@21:1/5 to Jay David on Sat Sep 4 20:16:30 2021
    On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 5:00:57 PM UTC-4, Jay David wrote:

Joe
    I'm alive which I guess is the most important thing. Living in Miami now. I injured my wrist many years ago and had to switch careers. it was a drag but you gotta do what you can. Hey, I love what I do now, but I do miss playing and teaching music of
    course. I might just buy a flugelhorn... I started off as a trumpet player as a kid which I guess helped becoming a left-handed guitar player (with the right-hand fingers doing the fancy fingerboard stuff). I lust don't know how tolerant my GF would be
    Jay
    Thank you for all that you did here (and elsewhere) before, and I hope you are still able to enjoy some kinds of self-expression.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jay David@21:1/5 to jsea...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 13 11:00:17 2022
    I'm actually back to playing guitar, on my couch.. You may know that I have some great carved guitars made by Steve Holst. My favorite beautiful archtop is 25.5" scale. It's amazing and has only gotten better (including the color of the wood:) since he
    built it for me in 1997. BUT - since my left wrist was screwed up, I figured a short scale would help me at first as I get back to playing. So I bought an absolute POS guitar - which I actually like a lot. It's an Ibanez AF55. (Importantly, it was
    available in lefty and it was cheap). It's a plywood, steam pressed laminate of cheap soft wood. I gotta say, it sounds sweet. Nothing like the Holst of course. On Steve's guitar I can pluck an open string and hear ALL the overtones, way up, all the way
    up... On the Ibanez, I can hear the root, fifth, octave. That's about it. I put some flat 13's on it. It's taken quite a while to dial in the truss rod and bridge - and I'm not good at that, but I've finally gotten it sounding nice and playing easily. I
    hate fret buzz, but I like low enough action to play easily but still have dynamic range. It's gotten to a nice compromise. My picking hand, (left hand in my case) still needs work. My right hand and my brain playing over changes is fine, although I've
    lost 90% of my repertoire. Luckily the Real Book is online these days. Someday in the future I'll go sit in somewhere and play a couple of the most common standards known to humanity... There are great players down here in SoFlo! I've been amazed going
    to my local jazz place. When I have a little more technique and confidence, and income, I might look up Tom L. for some lessons :)
    J

On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 11:16:32 PM UTC-4, jsea...@gmail.com wrote:

Joe
    Jay
    Thank you for all that you did here (and elsewhere) before, and I hope you are still able to enjoy some kinds of self-expression.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jay David@21:1/5 to Jay David on Tue Jun 14 13:33:56 2022
    BTW - I also picked up a Trace Elliot Velocette. I had one back in the day. They are now double $ (used) compared to what they sold for new 25 yrs ago... 2 12AX7's, 2 EL84's. 15W. Beautiful. Luckily I have a good stash of tubes for both my stereo and
    guitar amps.. These days good (NOS) tubes are hard to find. I don't use the Velocette much here at home, but I like to look at it.
    J

On Monday, June 13, 2022 at 2:00:20 PM UTC-4, Jay David wrote:
    I'm actually back to playing guitar, on my couch.. You may know that I have some great carved guitars made by Steve Holst. My favorite beautiful archtop is 25.5" scale. It's amazing and has only gotten better (including the color of the wood:) since he
    built it for me in 1997. BUT - since my left wrist was screwed up, I figured a short scale would help me at first as I get back to playing. So I bought an absolute POS guitar - which I actually like a lot. It's an Ibanez AF55. (Importantly, it was
    available in lefty and it was cheap). It's a plywood, steam pressed laminate of cheap soft wood. I gotta say, it sounds sweet. Nothing like the Holst of course. On Steve's guitar I can pluck an open string and hear ALL the overtones, way up, all the way
    up... On the Ibanez, I can hear the root, fifth, octave. That's about it. I put some flat 13's on it. It's taken quite a while to dial in the truss rod and bridge - and I'm not good at that, but I've finally gotten it sounding nice and playing easily. I
    hate fret buzz, but I like low enough action to play easily but still have dynamic range. It's gotten to a nice compromise. My picking hand, (left hand in my case) still needs work. My right hand and my brain playing over changes is fine, although I've
    lost 90% of my repertoire. Luckily the Real Book is online these days. Someday in the future I'll go sit in somewhere and play a couple of the most common standards known to humanity... There are great players down here in SoFlo! I've been amazed going
    to my local jazz place. When I have a little more technique and confidence, and income, I might look up Tom L. for some lessons :)
    J
    On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 11:16:32 PM UTC-4, jsea...@gmail.com wrote:

Joe
    I'm alive which I guess is the most important thing. Living in Miami now. I injured my wrist many years ago and had to switch careers. it was a drag but you gotta do what you can. Hey, I love what I do now, but I do miss playing and teaching music
    of course. I might just buy a flugelhorn... I started off as a trumpet player as a kid which I guess helped becoming a left-handed guitar player (with the right-hand fingers doing the fancy fingerboard stuff). I lust don't know how tolerant my GF would
    be with me playing a horn in the house.
    Jay

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05