• Quadrophonic stereo equipment

From Elixer Sue@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 21 22:04:25 2020
    Once and for all, do I need a quadrophonic turntable to play vintage quad vinyl? I'm referring to something like the Pioneer PL-55DX.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From sonnydj2000@21:1/5 to Elixer Sue on Sat Jan 9 11:28:23 2021
    On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 12:04:26 AM UTC-5, Elixer Sue wrote:
    Once and for all, do I need a quadrophonic turntable to play vintage quad vinyl? I'm referring to something like the Pioneer PL-55DX.
    If you are playing SQ encoded quad viny which CBS and associated labels adopted as its standard, you do not need anything special other than an SQ decoder to separate the four channels electronically plus two stereo amps or a quad amp (and 4 speakers)
    for playback.
    However, if you are playing CD-4 encoded vinyl such as RCA and WEA adopted as its standard, you will need a special cartridge capable of playing back ultra high frequencies with a shibata stylus tip. Shure no longer makes these and it may be difficult to
    find any such cartridge/stylus. You would also need a receiver/amp or separate CD-4 discrete decoder to separate the encoded channels on a discrete quad vinyl LP.
    Good luck finding any such equipment. I know of none being made, so likely that your best bet is eBay or used electronics outlets. I had both SQ and CD-4 vinyl plus discrete quad 8-track and reel to reel tapes back in the day and enjoyed hearing music
    specially mixed for quad playback.
    SonnyDJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)