• Difference between Yamaha CP70 and CP80 pianos?

From williamsheffield3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 25 16:36:00 2019
    Lastly is the sound. What you hear on a 70's record reflects thousands of dollars spent in the studio to made an instrument that is a compromise sound good as possible, meaning Neve console etc. No CP sounds like a real piano. A CP sounds like a CP,
    which is a vintage electric keyboard. Today after 40 plus years, no two CP keyboards sound the same. You want a CP for one of two reasons, for a true hammer and string feel, or you just want something really Big and Heavy to bang on. Its silly to spend
    what a good CP will cost, restored or restorable, just for a quiet piano to practice on. Which it isn't. Most every CP I've come across has electric buzz issues. So all the caps will need replacing. The preamps can all be bypassed which will also
    eliminate the buzz. You can also split the keyboard in the process. I like the sound of the CP electronics, but I keep the gain low and send the signal into an outboard tube preamp. But my reasons for owning a CP are 100% Feel, I actually do NOT like the
    electric sound of these things. But I Love the feel. Once the CP electrics have been modded or repaired, the recorded sound is decent enough. I think the CP was invented too late. If they had made it in 1969, it could have been a game changer. But no CP
    keyboard sounds remotely good acoustically because it doest have a soundboard.

Today because of age, every single CP sounds and plays completely different. The mechanics are of a real piano, so the "feel" can be brought back up to parr, but the sound isn't good enough to even compare to a real piano. Would I run one directly into a
    DAW, absolutely Not. Fortunately there is enough outboard processing and soft plug ins, its not hard to get a good sound recording. As long as you understand that it isn't a true piano.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From williamsheffield3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 25 15:50:47 2019
    You think you want an 80, and you think you want midi, but you don't. Not all 80's have midi, most don't. Yes the harp is bigger, but the lower register doesn't stay in tune and the extra notes sound bad even in tune. Next is the added weight of the 80.
    The 70 is barely portable, the 80 is a beast. Size and weight. Now if you tune a 70 perfectly to a digital tuner, it will sound like crap. You need an old school CP70 tech to tune it to roots and by ear. Once tuned, the CP70 can sound pretty damn good.
    But the CP70 and CP80 do sound different. Yes the 80 is fuller, but its NOT a better full sound. It boils down to tuning.

Next issue is MIDI. Why? When Yamaha made the "M" model, they had to suck the "Soul" out of the piano to get it to track right. I've never played a 70M or 8M that I liked. Once set up the Feel of a 70 can be Amazing. The feel of an 80 is different
    because the strings are longer and the tension is NOT the same. The 70M will always be a slave to the MIDI functionality. Also, having a MIDI CP piano defeats the purpose of owning a CP piano. If you want generic midi sounds, just get a SL-990 and a PC2R
    and you will have a Fantastic MIDI piano.

Next is the electronics. Less is more. You do NOT want the graphic EQ, what you want to do is send the cleanest signal to an active crossover and send it to 2 different amps. I also send each signal to a modeling pedal and then into a mic preamp then to
    a board. You can also set up an overhead stereo mic for a little ambient sound.

Final point is price. Some of these keyboards are now over 40 years old. Most are Trashed. If you find one cheap you can spend $3000 to $5000 having it restored. Finding a good one these days is going to be tough. A beat up 70 is worth the same as a beat
    up 80, with or without midi. Do yourself a favor, skip the 80 and the midi if you have that in your head. Focus on a 70b. It is going to cost a Lot more to restore an 80, even if you find one cheap. And a CP will Never be a good midi controller. It was
    designed as an acoustic instrument. And that is why you are buying one. You can't judge a CP70 unless its tuned properly with a strobe tuner and by ear. Once tuned the 70 feels, sounds, and records much better than an 80. But neither are very good for
    classical or jazz music. If you are practicing on an 80 and performing on a Steinway, the CP does not translate at all. The CP was designed to be a Rocker. So enjoy the dents, dings, scratches, and holes. Its Not an instrument that was designed to be
    anal about.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)