• Why do you like ragtime?

From cavanczh@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 22 09:14:50 2019
    Wow, these messages are from the year i was born.

Well, ragtime overall just gives a nostalgic and happy, sometimes melancholic, and like Joplin's piece, it gives "solace".

I came across ragtime in my teen years, and have been hooked on it ever since, jumping from classical, bebop, funk, and back to ragtime. Even tried to compose a few piece of ragtime too!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Grogan@21:1/5 to Mary Haley on Mon Oct 25 19:24:48 2021
    On Tuesday, September 23, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Mary Haley wrote:
    I'd like to hear from folks who are ragtime fans about *why* they like ragtime in particular. I'm interested because we all know that the
    word "ragtime" has some negative connotations associated with it; that
    it is rinky-tink music that is supposed to be play in salons on
    out-of-tune upright pianos. When I tell my classical music friends
    that I've attended concerts where ragtime was played on a 9-foot (in
    tune) grand piano, they are amazed. They actually ask me, "But isn't
    ragtime supposed to be played on an upright?"

My generation of music is garbage so I like listening to pre-1970s music. I had 2 real favorite types. (classical and rock'n'roll) I naturally wanted to see how they were connected and made a series on a website that when it was made this thread was 8
    years old (youtube) about 1 song every year from 1900 to the present. in my research I found a lot of good ragtime songs. I found 2 main versions of ragtime. The first was vocal, which I listen to when I need to stay awake but am not so tired I need rock'
    n'roll. The other was non-vocal which was generally made earlier. I find non-vocal good for a late-night sudoku puzzle. I hope you like my story about my ragtime experience if you still remember this after over a score.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)