• Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 - opinions please

From jtrice22@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 6 13:02:02 2019
    I like the 5:25 Express. Have two. Mine have the 10" Black Widow. Some posters complained about hiss. Not a problem for me but maybe its Their guitars. I use only Humbucking Les Pauls ,335's and Noiseless Pick up Strats. That said, my
    only issue with the 5:25 is the tubes. EL84's and AX7's seem to wear out and require replacement more often than say 6L6's. I always carry spare tubes in case thev 5:25 gets noisy or muddy on "clean" Also own 2 F-30's 30 Watt and an amazing amp
    although heavier and bulkier.
    But side by side the F-30n wins. MY other favorite3 amp is the Hughs & Kettner Anniversary edition 20 watt Tube amp. Simple to use with a single set of controls but two channels. It has incredible tone and gets me so many compliments on my sound.
    Got two of those as well. Only negative again is the EL-84 and AX7 tubes. and the HK has a closed back except for a small port on the bottom. It is a lot of screws to remove to get to the tubes and even then it is a pain to get to them. But well
    worth it for the amazing tone. Limited edition so not many out there in the used amp world of eBay or Reverb. Recently saw one at Sam Ash and they were asking $599 for a 2008 amp that was $699 new.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)