• Gibson vs. Epiphone??? Enough already

From friekman@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Tim Adams on Thu Mar 21 11:54:53 2019
    Tim Adams from Pelham High?

Email me, my friend, please! friekman@gmail.com

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002 at 7:53:37 PM UTC-4, Tim Adams wrote:
    Over the years I've watched this debate rage on and on. It seems stupid to me to compare two guitars in this manner. Let's face it. You can't even take two Gibson Les Paul Standards and get the same feel and tone out of
    them for the simple reason that they are made of WOOD. No two guitars will EVER be exactly alike. Now that having been said I will go on to say that having read the opposing arguments, I can see where both sides have valid points.

I currently own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. This is my second one. My first one proved the argument about the necks on the Epi's to be true in my case. The neck warped and developed dead spots. Here's the cool part. It was covered under the factory warranty, and Gibson/Epiphone REPLACED the whole guitar... They even transferred my custom PUPs and tuners from the f---ed up guitar to the new one. Two years later the neck on this one is still perfect.
    NOW--- In order to make this guitar into the lethal weapon it is today I placed her in the skilled hands of mister Dave Thomas at Richmond Music here in Richmond, VA. He did the mother of all setups to include a fret
    leveling. Add on the Gibson 498T and 490R PUPs and the Gibson Vintage
    tuners transferred from the old LP. The result is an outstanding guitar
    that sounds and plays beutifully. No stock Epi off the rack could touch
    this guitar. Could I have had a Gibson??? Sure, and if I was a
    professional musician I would have bought one with out a second thought. I also realize that if I had bought a "real" Gibson Les Paul I might not have had the problems my old Epi had... Who the hell knows? I'll also say that compared to the Gibson humbuckers currently installed in my guitar, the original Epiphone PUPs SUCKED... The Gibson tuners also leave the stock Epi tuners in the dust. The stock Epi bridge and stop tail piece are just fine and will out live me. I had to shell out some bucks to bring my Epiphone
    Les Paul up to snuff. But even with all that I haven't approached the cost of a new Gibson Les Paul Standard. (and don't give me the usual LP Studio or used Standard crap, I've heard it before and it's beside the point)
    The bottom line though is this. I love my Les Paul. I don't give a rats
    ASS who made it. It's a Les Paul--- It sounds like a Les Paul--- It plays like a Les Paul--- SHIT it even says LES PAUL on the head stock. So the debate can rage on, but in the end, it doesn't really matter does it? All that REALLY matters in the long run is the music.

Peace

Tim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)