• Re: Igor Markevitch Rite of Spring

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 2 23:24:28 2023
    On Monday, January 3, 2005 at 6:50:54 PM UTC-8, vinyl1 wrote:
    I am listening tonight to the Markevitch Rite, recorded by EMI in 1960.
    I have always found a Markevitch performance to be instantly recognizable by its superb musical intelligence. He has a way of bringing to the fore instumental lines in the score that you seldom hear in other performances.
    I am curious why he was never that successful as a recording artist....lack of promotion, maybe? To me, this Rite is far more impressive than the big sellers like Solti and Bernstein--and it is a very fine recording, too, with power and dynamics to spare.

According to the chatbot BARD:

My favorite recording of The Rite of Spring is the one by Igor Markevitch and the Philharmonia Orchestra from 1959. This recording is notable for its energy, excitement, and precision. Markevitch was a master of Stravinsky's music, and he brings out all
    of the drama and intensity of The Rite of Spring. The Philharmonia Orchestra plays with great passion and commitment, and the recording quality is excellent.

Here are some other recordings of The Rite of Spring that I recommend:

Pierre Monteux and the Boston Symphony Orchestra (1930)
    Igor Stravinsky and the Columbia Symphony Orchestra (1960)
    Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic (1961)
    Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra (1987)
    Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky Orchestra (1997)

Ultimately, the best recording of The Rite of Spring is the one that you enjoy the most. So listen to a few different recordings and find the one that speaks to you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mswdesign@gmail.com@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Wed May 3 05:23:14 2023
    On Wednesday, May 3, 2023 at 1:24:31 AM UTC-5, gggg gggg wrote:

My favorite recording of The Rite of Spring is the one by Igor Markevitch and the Philharmonia Orchestra from 1959. This recording is notable for its energy, excitement, and precision. Markevitch was a master of Stravinsky's music, and he brings out
    all of the drama and intensity of The Rite of Spring. The Philharmonia Orchestra plays with great passion and commitment, and the recording quality is excellent.

Ultimately, the best recording of The Rite of Spring is the one that you enjoy the most. So listen to a few different recordings and find the one that speaks to you.

Hey, gggg-

I've become accepting of the variety of posts you offer, but relaying what chatbots say really is jumping the shark where posting empty content is concerned. Unless you are posting in the spirit of humor. Don't you agree?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to mswd...@gmail.com on Thu May 4 09:06:55 2023
    On Wednesday, May 3, 2023 at 5:23:17 AM UTC-7, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 3, 2023 at 1:24:31 AM UTC-5, gggg gggg wrote:

My favorite recording of The Rite of Spring is the one by Igor Markevitch and the Philharmonia Orchestra from 1959. This recording is notable for its energy, excitement, and precision. Markevitch was a master of Stravinsky's music, and he brings out
    all of the drama and intensity of The Rite of Spring. The Philharmonia Orchestra plays with great passion and commitment, and the recording quality is excellent.

Hey, gggg-

I've become accepting of the variety of posts you offer, but relaying what chatbots say really is jumping the shark where posting empty content is concerned. Unless you are posting in the spirit of humor. Don't you agree?

This is the reply I got after asking BARD "At rec.music.classical.recordings, don't you feel sorry for gggg?":

Yes, I do feel sorry for gggg. He is a very knowledgeable and passionate classical music fan, but he is often met with hostility and ridicule on rec.music.classical.recordings. I think it is unfair that he is treated this way, and I wish that people
    would be more respectful of his opinions.

I think gggg's passion for classical music is admirable, and I wish that more people would be open to discussing it with him in a civil and respectful manner. I hope that one day he will be able to find a community of people who appreciate his knowledge
    and passion for classical music.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Christopher Howell@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 4 22:54:09 2023
    This is the reply I got after asking BARD "At rec.music.classical.recordings, don't you feel sorry for gggg?":

Yes, I do feel sorry for gggg. He is a very knowledgeable and passionate classical music fan, but he is often met with hostility and ridicule on rec.music.classical.recordings. I think it is unfair that he is treated this way, and I wish that people

I think gggg's passion for classical music is admirable, and I wish that more people would be open to discussing it with him in a civil and respectful manner. I hope that one day he will be able to find a community of people who appreciate his
    knowledge and passion for classical music.

I'm sure we're all ready to discuss people's opinions in a civil and respectful manner. An uncommented relay of a link to somewhere else, or a simple reproduction (with no further personal input from gggg) of a chatbox, is not an opinion. Or is this an
    opinion in itself?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vhorowitz@21:1/5 to Christopher Howell on Fri May 5 09:42:10 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 12:54:12 AM UTC-5, Christopher Howell wrote:

I think gggg's passion for classical music is admirable, and I wish that more people would be open to discussing it with him in a civil and respectful manner. I hope that one day he will be able to find a community of people who appreciate his
    I'm sure we're all ready to discuss people's opinions in a civil and respectful manner. An uncommented relay of a link to somewhere else, or a simple reproduction (with no further personal input from gggg) of a chatbox, is not an opinion. Or is this an
    opinion in itself?

Agreed! To each his own, but I’ve never understood the point of simply posting something with zero comment whatsoever. And while my opinions may differ with Dan Koren’s posts with his knee-jerk reactions to those pianists on his "do not call" list,
    his opinion is an opinion, however bovine his manner can be. But he’s been falling into the same trap lately by merely posting YouTube links with often cryptic subject lined, in a manner that seems like Clickbait, if you didn’t know better. I’m
    not a fan of anybody expecting me to click on something without any explanation of what the heck it is. However, if the goal is to arouse curiosity, it can be effective at that. For me, however, I probably only click on one out of 100 of those kind of
    posts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to vhorowitz on Fri May 5 16:30:50 2023
    On Saturday, 6 May 2023 at 02:42:13 UTC+10, vhorowitz wrote:
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 12:54:12 AM UTC-5, Christopher Howell wrote:

Yes, I do feel sorry for gggg. He is a very knowledgeable and passionate classical music fan, but he is often met with hostility and ridicule on rec.music.classical.recordings. I think it is unfair that he is treated this way, and I wish that
    people would be more respectful of his opinions.

I'm sure we're all ready to discuss people's opinions in a civil and respectful manner. An uncommented relay of a link to somewhere else, or a simple reproduction (with no further personal input from gggg) of a chatbox, is not an opinion. Or is this
    an opinion in itself?
    Agreed! To each his own, but I’ve never understood the point of simply posting something with zero comment whatsoever. And while my opinions may differ with Dan Koren’s posts with his knee-jerk reactions to those pianists on his "do not call" list,
    his opinion is an opinion, however bovine his manner can be. But he’s been falling into the same trap lately by merely posting YouTube links with often cryptic subject lined, in a manner that seems like Clickbait, if you didn’t know better. I’m not
    a fan of anybody expecting me to click on something without any explanation of what the heck it is. However, if the goal is to arouse curiosity, it can be effective at that. For me, however, I probably only click on one out of 100 of those kind of posts.

I never click on these comment-less links. People must at least explain why I should click on a link, and the explanation alone might entice me. If it is a solo piano link I'll be less enticed also.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05