• Re: The Cetra Operas

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Edward Cowan on Tue Apr 11 18:56:05 2023
    On Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 11:57:24 AM UTC-7, Edward Cowan wrote:
    Certainly, the Cetra operas (on Cetra-Soria in America, this long before Dario Soria developed his deluxe slip-case packaging for LPs!). Indeed,
    most of them were the first-ever issues of their respective works ever, while others were reissues of pre-war Cetra 78rpm recordings (e.g., La
    forza del destino, Norma, L'Amico Fritz, Turandot, et al.). The early
    Verdi operas stemmed from the observances of the fiftieth anniversary of Verdi's death, when RAI broadcast performances of all of that composer's operas. These Verdi recordings had rough-and-ready casts (e.g., the over-the-top recording of Il trovatore with Mancini, Pirazzini,
    Lauri-Volpi, and Tagliabue), but most of these remained for many years
    the de facto single recordings of them.

Certainly, the Zandonai opera Francesca da Rimini (on CD from Warner
    Fonit Cetra 8573 87470-2, two CDs) was a rarity outside Italy.

Another, Verdi's I due Foscari (Warner Fonit Cetra 8573 83515-2, two
    CDs) was not published on LP SFAIK, and appears here for the first time.

And there were other operas that were the only recordings for a great
    many years. I'm thinking of A. Scarlatti's Il trionfo dell'onore (cond. Giulini!) and Wolf-Ferrari's I quatro rusteghi, the latter a really fun opera that should be better-known. Cetra also published a later
    recording from La Scala, 1954, on DOC 26, three LPs, with a very starry cast: Nicola Rossi-Lemeni, Cloe Elmo, Rosanna Carteri, Cesare Valletti,
    Ilve Ligabue, and Melchiorre Luise, among others, cond. Antonino Votto. --E.A.C.

--
    hrabanus

Concering Carteri, didn't she record a complete WILLIAM TELL on Cetra?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to wagnerfan on Thu Apr 13 08:33:30 2023
    On Tuesday, 8 May 2012 at 11:31:21 UTC+1, wagnerfan wrote:

But here is something to be said for the idiomatic 'rightness" of
    these performances. There is a feeling that the singers have worked together, are comfortable with each other and know the scores inside
    out. The vocalism is often rough but the feelings are sincere and
    heartfelt and that counts for a lot. The conductors too share that
    feeling and often seem to be more interested in getting the dramatic
    points across than orchestral perfection.
    Wagner fan

This reminds me of why I listen to all the Janacek operas in the Czech Supraphon versions and never in the highly over-touted Mackerras recordings. They know the scores inside out and have the music in the souls - it makes all the difference in the world.
    But I wouldn't call the Czech recordings "rough" - far from it. Some great musicians in Czech orchestras and string quartets.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Andy Evans on Thu Apr 13 17:07:40 2023
    On Friday, 14 April 2023 at 01:33:33 UTC+10, Andy Evans wrote:
    On Tuesday, 8 May 2012 at 11:31:21 UTC+1, wagnerfan wrote:

But here is something to be said for the idiomatic 'rightness" of
    these performances. There is a feeling that the singers have worked together, are comfortable with each other and know the scores inside
    out. The vocalism is often rough but the feelings are sincere and heartfelt and that counts for a lot. The conductors too share that
    feeling and often seem to be more interested in getting the dramatic points across than orchestral perfection.
    Wagner fan

This reminds me of why I listen to all the Janacek operas in the Czech Supraphon versions and never in the highly over-touted Mackerras recordings. They know the scores inside out and have the music in the souls - it makes all the difference in the
    world. But I wouldn't call the Czech recordings "rough" - far from it. Some great musicians in Czech orchestras and string quartets.

I acquired the Mackerras recordings only when unable to get the Czech alternative. Like yourself, I can never quite understand the big hype over Mackerras, despite the fact that he undeniably knows these operas very well.

Ray Hall, Taree

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Evans@21:1/5 to raymond....@gmail.com on Fri Apr 14 00:38:24 2023
    On Friday, 14 April 2023 at 01:07:43 UTC+1, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
    I acquired the Mackerras recordings only when unable to get the Czech alternative. Like yourself, I can never quite understand the big hype over Mackerras, despite the fact that he undeniably knows these operas very well.

Ray Hall, Taree

Being on the other side of the world probably means you won't get to hear these operas in Prague or Brno. I had the great pleasure of travelling to both cities and hearing the Czech cast and musicians in the flesh. One of my best musical memories.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05