• Re: Tosca recommendations?

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 11 19:10:19 2023
    On Tuesday, December 19, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, RogerS9534 wrote:
    In article
    <Pine.A32.3.91.951218...@black.weeg.uiowa.edu>, Michael
    Soliven Lara <msl...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> writes:
    I would like some recommendations for Tosca recordings. I would prefer a >stereo recording if possible, but I'm open to mono suggestions as well. >Comments on packaging (good essays, or just bare-bones synopsis?) would >also be appreciated.
    I suspect you will get a surprisingly consistent recommendation for the
    1953 Callas-diStefano-Gobbi recording on EMI under de Sabata. It's mono,
    and rather decent mono at that, but the performance is truly so
    extraordinary and gripping from all concerned that any sonic limitations don't matter. All the principals were at their respective vocal peaks at
    the time, and de Sabata grabs you by the throat from the very start and doesn't let go.
    There are many, many other recordings out there with just about all the famous, great, and wannabe-greats essaying the title role. I'm fond of
    the Milanov-Bjoerling-Warren, and the Price-DiStefano-Taddei, both on mid-price RCA, although one or more of the principals in each of those recordings is slightly over-the-hill. I've seen and heard Tosca probably
    more than any other opera, but when the urge strikes to hear it again, nothing but the first Callas-EMI will do. Even if you ultimately decide
    to go for modern sound, try to hear this recording at some point to understand fully what all the fuss about Callas and this recording in particular is about.
    Hope this is of interest.
    Roger Siegel

Gramophone magazine recently pushed aside Callas' recording in favor of Tebaldi's stereo recording.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)